Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY K-clips / G-clips how strong is enough?DIY K-clips / G-clips how strong is enough?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/17/2017 3:36 PM

Being 4000 miles away at the end of a very costly postal journey makes one think about making stuff for oneself that would otherwise be easier to buy.  I have been playing around with MOLLE, pockets and straps and realised that something like a G-Hook, or a K-clip was just what I needed.

I have a borrowed CNC router and some 5/32 Micarta and thought I could carve out something suitable.  Question is, how strong do such clips need to be?  I have seen video of Aaron Snyder at Kifaru doing pull ups from one of their aluminum clips, but do you think they really need to be that strong?  I am pretty sure that LoopLocs can't be that strong, but never really tested them.

Thanks

New Post
10/18/2017 7:27 AM

The K-clip is nothing more than a G-hook with a ladderlock buckle sewn to it. The reason for that is that G-hooks kind of suck at both things they're supposed to do. They don't hold adjustment very well (hence the K-clip mod), and they don't stay hooked very well (Hence the Alpendrms bungy mod talked about on this forum). I'm currently testing another company's take on the G-hook and it's a lot better at both tasks. You'll probably see that buckle make it's way into our designs and it will change some of our common design patterns over time.

Sorry, don't remember the brand of the hook. It is metal, but shaped like the old GI metal buckles with the big hump in it and the teeth in the hump to hold the webbing. It holds better than a ladderlock. Then the hook part is squared off on the inside so there isn't a smooth curve that wants to escape the webbing it's hooked onto.

As for your question, it's tough to say. When used to attach pouches and such, the bar isn't very high. If you're using it for a main structural component like a compression panel, the pull up stunt isn't out of line. Micarta seems like a reasonable choice because it has a woven grain and may prevent the open hook from breaking.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/18/2017 8:48 AM

I think the "K-Connector" is the G-hook with attached ladderlock while a "K-Clip" looks like a split bar 3 bar slider...

Not confusing at all.

New Post
10/18/2017 11:21 AM

Shu, that's the thing...yeah, confusing!  Its the double split 3-bar slider type thing, but made of thicker material. 
Here is the video and a picture...Sorry, its photobucket, and can't link as an image :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEU5JMIOpIE
https://goo.gl/images/PMWFpW

I was thinking of it for duty up to a compression panel, but I didn't know what sort of tension that could take.  Hadn't occured to me that it could be THAT much!  Lots of packs use the LadderLocks, including split bar versions, for compression straps.

Guess I just need to give it a try!  If I make and break I will let you know!!! :o)  The first rough pattern held 56lb without cracking, so those re-inforcing fibres seem to do something.

New Post
10/18/2017 2:42 PM

That split bar 3 bar slider looks great.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/20/2017 8:25 AM

Yeah, those would simplify a lot of things of some pack systems, I'm honestly surprised one of the bigger buckle makers hasn't been making one all along. A split single loop would do a lot of the same stuff, which you can buy, but mostly plastic and probably not strong enough for compression use.

Evan; is it the buckle on the front page of the lowyusa site?

New Post
10/20/2017 2:27 PM

Fowler wrote:

Evan; is it the buckle on the front page of the lowyusa site?

Yes. And I mis-spoke earlier about them being toothed. I double checked mine and they're smooth like the Lowy picture. They hold like they're toothed!

New Post
10/22/2017 8:37 AM

The lowy page is down now. Anyone have a photo?

New Post
10/24/2017 7:58 PM

I believe it is the same buckle used on the Kletterwerks Market bag.

I will say the aluminum hook buckles that Kelty, REI, Gregory, and everyone else are using hold tension better then a g-hook as well, but are probably on par for staying hooked.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY K-clips / G-clips how strong is enough?DIY K-clips / G-clips how strong is enough?