Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHanWag BootsHanWag Boots
Previous

Next
New Post
1/17/2014 12:16 PM

Thanks to Strow I got to talk to the USA sales rep for Han Wag here in the US, and they just opened a store in Boulder, CO and will be doing their own thing from now on, so we should be able to get their boots easier here in the states.  Next time I am over there I am going to swing by and try some stuff on, but they seem to have the boot I have been looking for awhile.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/17/2014 8:01 PM

Scot After reading this post I goggled Han Wag Boots. New product to me. The boots look like quality, and they have my size at Zappos, I have a 12 1/2 A shoe size, finding shoes or boots in that size is a challenge. So I'm interested. Question, why do you (or anyone else) like these boots? I have been reading your forum for about a month now and like what I read. I found this forum after buying a Kit Bag, which I really like by the way. Thanks Larry

New Post
1/18/2014 5:55 PM

I don't have personal experience with them, but have heard nothing but good things about them both quality and fit. I wear around a 12, but need a wide, and that too is a hard to find fit. They also have an all leather, none goretex/waterproof lining boot in my size, which is even harder to find.  I know they have a top shelf reputation, and given they have what I am looking for I am going to try a pair on when I get the chance.

Glad you are enjoying the kit bag.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/19/2014 11:41 PM

Great to hear you got a chance to make it to the Hanwag booth!

I ended up picking up a pair of their Trek Tatra boots to try.  They seem VERY well made.  I usually only get one to two seasons out of a pair of mid-weight boots before they fall apart.  And I have tried Scarpa, LaSportiva, Asolo, Garmont, Danner, Adidas, and a mess of others.  The distributor said that most guys are getting 5yrs before they need resoling and that if they wouldn’t last at least that long he wanted to know immediately.

I got a few bobcat sets in today wearing the Hanwags and I am very pleased so far.  I will try to drop a post every once in a while as I get miles on them.  I will be anxious to see how well they hold up to the amount of blood I get on my boots over a season.  It must be the Ph or acidic nature of blood that really beats up leather and stitching.   

I like the fact that I can get a full grain mid weight book without Gore-tex.  Gore-tex makes my foot feel like I have a leaky condom on them…

Scot, do you have the name of the distributor?  I gave my last Hanwag business card away and lost his name. 

I was great to finally meet you and Evan.  If I can make it to the next rondi I will be wearing the Hanwags. 

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
1/20/2014 11:59 AM

That was the last booth we hit before the exodus, and I just wanted to get gone so I didn't try any on, but now I can get some feedback from you since I think that was the pair I was liking.

The guy we talked to is Steve VonRuden and the store is located at 7088 Winchester Circle in Boulder. Steve lives in the PNW, but is director of sales for the US and I think he said Canada and Mexico too. 

New Post
1/20/2014 12:25 PM

Thank you.  Yep now I remember the name.  He seems like a good stand up guy and will get my buisness in the future.

I don't get to the big cities much but after 1.5days in LV I'm ready to disinfect myself and I was dirty to begin with...

New Post
1/21/2014 11:36 AM

For what it is worth, I got tired of spending good money on boots that didn't fit well (and were disposed of at a loss everytime) so I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Hanwags. Best thing I ever did for my feet. They fit extremely well and are very well made. No break-in for me just right out hunting. If I ever need another pair I will buy them again. The do cost major dollars but since I have ended the search for boots I probably end up saving plenty. The search for good boots that fit is tough and expensive.

New Post
1/21/2014 12:46 PM

I meant to put my two cents into this discussion on Sunday and forgot.  I own two pairs of Hanwags and will never own another pair of anything else.  I have a set for hunting and a set for work.  If it will help your decision, I hunt in the Rockies and the foothills of Alberta and am an infantry officer.   Rain or shine, snow or heat - you will not find a better pair of boots.  Both mine are all leather (lining too), no GTX. 

They do cost money but, good gear does.

New Post
1/21/2014 12:57 PM

Craig, what pair are you using for hunting in the Rockies?    Also, how spendy are these?

New Post
1/21/2014 1:33 PM

El Mac - I wear the Yukon's and I see on the site from the store I bought them back in '08 they go for $330 Cdn for the all leather, $350 for the GTX lined ones.

New Post
3/13/2014 10:28 AM

I made it by the store in Boulder, and was a bit disappointed. It really is a small shop, and they have a lot of space taken up with various bags/backpacks.  Their boot selection was small and they had a single pair of boots in store that would fit me, and never have wide sizes in stock. They weren't the model I was interested in, and they ended up being a bit short, and of course I couldn't try the next size up.  They also had a very limited selection of sizes in pants.  However, their distribution warehouse is very close and with a week or two notice they can have anything you want to look at in your size in store. If you are going I would say call ahead. Lauren is who I ended up working with and she was very helpful and customer service oriented.

New Post
3/13/2014 6:14 PM

A four hour drive to find out the store doesn’t have what you are looking for.  That is aggravating at best!

The Tatra’s I picked up at SHOT are finally getting broken in (+~50miles).  I am still impressed with the brand so far.  Being wet on the outside for 3 days at The Gathering was what it took for them to finally relax and mold to my foot. 

The scale says 3lb 14oz for my pair of UK10 / EUR 44.5 with a day’s worth of sweat in them.

I plan on getting a lighter pair with a thinner shank to run this summer and will post if anything changes. 

New Post
3/13/2014 8:55 PM

I was over that way for business so it was only about 1hr out of my way, but yeah I wasn't happy. The Tatra, Lhasa, and Canyon II were the boots I was wanting to check out.

New Post
3/16/2014 8:08 PM

I just added a pair of Superfeet insoles and like the Hanwags just that much more.

I'm not a big custom insole snob...but I do like these.

New Post
3/20/2014 9:56 AM

Finally, a way I can contribute to some of the great info I've found on this forum.

I purchased a pair of HanWag Alaska GTX boots in the late spring of 2007. I purchased them, as a gift to myself for graduating nursing school, from Lathrup & Sons out of Illinois. Service I received was excellent. I basically wore these boots any time I could. 3-4 years later, I had worn down the soles. The majority of this I attribute to urban use, although some hunting, hiking, and backpacking we're tossed occasionally into the mix. I contacted L&S concerning the soles and having them redone, as well as purchasing a pair of Mountain Light GTX. Again, great service. I would not hesitate to purchase again from these guys, their foot beds, as a side note, I would also recommend, if that is your thing.

Speaking to the fit, finish, and quality of these boots: Both sets feel like a pair of moccasins that I used to have when I was younger. I moved onto custom orthotics after getting the original set resoled and the fit has not changed as a result. The finish has little details that I was having trouble finding on other model hiking boots I have worn. Things like a metal piece on the tongue and ball bearings on the lower lace holders which make for even tightening. The quality has really been what steered me back to them however. I have worn GI jungle boots, Magnum, as well as multiple sets of both Timbeline and Vasque. None have ever had the upper survive long enough to justify resoling the boot. Since resoling the original pair I have, they have climbed Mt. Shasta in California, and remained as my daily wear from late fall to early spring. While a non GTX pair is probably in my future list of purchases, these will remain as a standard for around town for as long as the upper holds up. 

Take what I said above and apply it as you will. Everyone's feet are different, and fit is a subjective term. Personally, with the exception of specialty boots  (think PAC boots), I don't think I will be purchasing from another manufacturer. I am satisfied with their product.

1700shadow

New Post
2/3/2015 12:17 AM

I've been on the hunt for some new boots for over a year now and think the Hanwag Tatra's might be the answer. Anyone who was at the Winter Gathering last year saw the sorry shape of my 10+ year old Lowa Renegade's. Despite that they made it through another summer of hiking including a 40mi 4 day backpacking trip. The best source I've found for trying Hanwag's on in person is unfortunately for most in Estes Park, CO at the Warming Hut. They do however make a point to keep most sizes including bunion (wide version) in stock. I know they have the Tatras and another boot I can't remember the name of. But if you find yourself in that neck of the woods it's worth checking out. I've also heard Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO is now stocking Hanwag but don't know which models.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
2/3/2015 12:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up. My quest for a new boot is not over, but these days I am just wearing goretex lined Asolos. I do have a pair of Lowa Renegades and am pretty happy with them, but the Asolos are still just the right boot for most of what I want to do. I still haven't found a place to try on the Hanawags. I will be on the front range tomorrow and if I can free up maybe try and swing by Mountain Chalet in the springs to see if they have any. Otherwise it will have to wait for me to be closer to Boulder.

New Post
2/4/2015 8:50 AM

Went ahead and ordered up a pair of Tatras last night! Hoping they get here in time for the Winter Gathering.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
2/4/2015 2:02 PM

Scot, are you in the Springs today?

New Post
2/4/2015 3:07 PM

Pm sent

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHanWag BootsHanWag Boots