Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKuiu Attack pants (sizing)Kuiu Attack pants (sizing)
Previous

Next
New Post
2/13/2014 10:53 AM

The Kuiu Attack pants I ordered arrived in a timely manner.  They seem well made with lots of cool innovations!

I know the material is stretchy and they do seem to have plenty of ROM.   But they seem a little snug in the legs and butt.  I struggle with most pant sizes.  By the time I get the legs and ass to fit the waist has to be pleated and wadded up under the belt to stay on my waist.  What thick waisted, narrow assed, thin legged people are they making these for?  Doesn’t anyone squat or Deadlift anymore? 

How snug do most of you like your soft shell pants?  The waist is already a little floppy and the legs and butt a little snug.  Suggestions?  Send them back and order the next size up and just deal with the large waist?  Are they supposed to fit like yoga pants?   Will this material “relax” with use? 

Again the product seems very well made and constructed…I’m just wondering about the sizing. 

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
2/13/2014 11:37 AM

That is a bummer sorry for leading you astray. They certainly don't look that way in pictures, and I don't think specify an athletic fit.  Personally, I can't stand binding around my legs when I am moving so I would be looking to go a size bigger. The material will stretch so you can wear it a big snugger than normal, but if you are using the words snug and yoga pants seems to me they are to small. That being said to big in the waist has its own issues. In my opinion field pants shouldn't fit like yoga pants unless they are tights or yoga pants.  I guess I would be looking at a different pair of pants because already loose it the waist and tight in the legs doesn't lead me to thing a size up would be a happy medium.  The Mountain Hardware Chookstone Medium Casual pants look interesting.  Maybe some other folks will chime in with pants that are less fitted in the leg. I know my REI pants fit me well and I am more plug like than you.  They are a bit light material wise, but can be layered.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/13/2014 12:03 PM

Scot, all good info!  I never felt led astray.  I really like the materials, construction, and color (Major Brown).  Oh how I dislike camo.  I will give Kuiu a call and get there input.  

I will keep everyone posted on what I find out.  

Again, I am very impressed with the speed of delivery, contstruction, and material of the pants...just feeling a touch bound.  Haha.    

New Post
2/13/2014 12:21 PM

Ok, I called Kuiu.  Very good people to deal with.  There are sending the next size up (36”) and I will give them a run.  I may just get the waist tailored.

They said their pants were an “athletic cut”…this must be a vegetarian term.

New Post
2/13/2014 12:33 PM

Strow years ago when I was lifting heavy I had the same problem and the solution was..... If you find some pants you like get the leg/butt problem resolved (bigger size) and find a good seamstress/tailor who can take in the waist without tucks and pleats and hem to the correct length. I know from experience that some pants are harder for them to do and some may not work at all but the result if done by a competent person is great, kinda like a custom gun. My wife who was/is a professional seamstress has made me clothes from scratch and they are really good. That might be well worth the money if you weren't going through pants every year. Good luck from a former large thigh sufferer.

New Post
2/13/2014 12:40 PM

strow wrote

Oh how I dislike camo.

Clearly you aren't a hunter. REAL hunters know that camo is essential for hunting not just predators but ungulates as well.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/13/2014 1:01 PM

evanhill wrote

strow wrote

Oh how I dislike camo.

Clearly you aren't a hunter. REAL hunters know that camo is essential for hunting not just predators but ungulates as well.

...as long as I have my Bear Gryles underwear, Cody Lundin ninja smoke, and Gracie BJJ mail order training course blue belt...I just walk up and hit them with the dim-mak death touch.  Oh and pregnant hermaphrodite urine in a little scent disk under my Serpa holster tucked into my scent lock diaper.  

New Post
2/13/2014 1:02 PM

snakey3 wrote

Strow years ago when I was lifting heavy I had the same problem and the solution was..... If you find some pants you like get the leg/butt problem resolved (bigger size) and find a good seamstress/tailor who can take in the waist without tucks and pleats and hem to the correct length. I know from experience that some pants are harder for them to do and some may not work at all but the result if done by a competent person is great, kinda like a custom gun. My wife who was/is a professional seamstress has made me clothes from scratch and they are really good. That might be well worth the money if you weren't going through pants every year. Good luck from a former large thigh sufferer.

Snakey3, you feel my pain.  Haha.  Excellent idea. I think tailoring is exactly what I will have done.  

New Post
2/13/2014 1:44 PM

I feel your pain. Snakey3 has about the best solution. Most pants I can not even pull on. I used to have 29" thighs and 33/34" waist. As I've gotten older the problem has lessened - thighs smaller, belly bigger (although I'm working on the latter). I like my Attack pants in 36. They do have some nice stretch built in, and the gusseted crotch allows me to do a full squat no problem. FYI the Guide pants run a little tighter so I use a 38 in them which helps on the thighs, and gives me more room to tuck in more layers up top. Based on Strow's list of what a properly equipped hunter should have I feel so inadequate :)

New Post
2/13/2014 2:53 PM

[QUOTE]strow wrote

What thick waisted, narrow assed, thin legged people are they making these for?  

[/QUOTE

I wonder about that every time a try to buy pants or jeans....

"Glad" I am not alone.

New Post
2/13/2014 3:28 PM

strow wrote

What thick waisted, narrow assed, thin legged people are they making these for?  Doesn’t anyone squat or Deadlift anymore? 

That's what I'm talking about.  Chances are that you are going to blow the crotch out of those pants, gave up on the KUIU gear a long time ago.  If you fit into "skinny" jeans, then I suppose they will work, but who wears that stuff anyway.  Not trying to be a jerk, but that's my experience with KUIU gear. 

New Post
2/13/2014 4:36 PM

as long as I have my Bear Gryles underwear, Cody Lundin ninja smoke, and Gracie BJJ mail order training course blue belt...I just walk up and hit them with the dim-mak death touch.  Oh and pregnant hermaphrodite urine in a little scent disk under my Serpa holster tucked into my scent lock diaper.

There's simply too much awesome wrapped up in one here. Well played, Sir. The gathering next month is shaping up to be a doggone good group of people.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKuiu Attack pants (sizing)Kuiu Attack pants (sizing)