Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunning Kit for a Female Trail RunnerRunning Kit for a Female Trail Runner
Previous

Next
New Post
10/11/2012 1:56 AM

How would the snubby kit bag fit for a female small athletic frame 5'5" 125lb? This is a bit embarrasing to ask, but by carrying it "high and tight" will it be comfortable around my eh-hem Ta-tas?

I am an avid competitive ultra trail runner from Colorado (who carries daily) and have been searching for years for an effective way to carry while running. Whenever I question firearms or gear stores about a running product they give me some bogus ways to carry such as hip grips. I have tried hip grips, along with many other types of carry, but after three miles I start losing skin...

I normally carry a .38 revolver in the back of my ultra light pack (I know, not exactly a speed draw but it's better than not bringing one) but I am looking into replacing this with a slimmer frame such as a Kahr 9mm to avoid the bulk of a cylinder. My normal daily carry 1911 .45 is just too heavy for the mileage I do and I refuse to carry anything less than a 9mm for self-defense. Since speed (both on the draw and running speed) are important, I need something lightweight that doesn't look like a tumor coming off my body and something that doesn't chaffe for long runs.

Oh, and if anyone mentions trying to sell me somethin pink or bedazzled I'll be forced to slap you.

If you had something that worked for me or if you are looking for a ladies section and need some help with design, I would be thrilled to do a write up on it. I am unashamedly a total tactical gear whore:)

http://wildchild-t.blogspot.com/

New Post
10/11/2012 7:41 AM

Welcome! We've sold a few Runner's Kit Bags to women runners and have gotten mixed feedback. I can only guess that whether or not it works is highly individual. The most recent feedback from a gal in Alaska was positive. I've asked her for more detailed information if she is willing to give it, or perhaps to jump in on this thread and help build a base of information for other women runners. You two could also discuss offline via email or PM. Either way, we should be able to get you some good information.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/11/2012 5:14 PM

I recently tried out the Runner's Kit Bag.   I am a female trail runner in Alaska and have been trying to figure out a way to carry my HK .40 for personal protection.  I have tried a few different methods and found belt packs, even ones designed for concealed carry and running, are just too bouncy.  When I saw the Kit Bag I had to try it.

I have only used it once since I decided to trade it for the smaller "Snubby."  The Runner’s was big for my HK and a bit much for my 5'5'' and 130lbs.  Other than that, I really liked it.  I had no problem with it being “high and tight."  It is the first thing I have used that didn't affect my form or stride.   I only used it once, but I am now eagerly awaiting the Snubby to arrive in the mail.  

As someone in another thread mentioned; I think I will wear the Kit Bag with the zipper a little open at the top.  I can then “karate chop” my right hand down and have the bag unzip as my hand grips the gun.  From my tactical training I have learned to value drawing from holsters that only require one hand.  I had the zipper catch once, but I will check it every time when I zip it up now and I don’t foresee it being a problem.

It is also nice that with the Kit Bag I can carry a hydration pack without interference.  It also has a faster and more natural draw than the belt packs I have used. I will be trimming the straps since they are overly long for my size, but that is not an issue.  I certainly recommend women try it.

New Post
10/11/2012 9:57 PM

WildChildT - Let me know if you would like to try a kit bag.  I live in denver, and you are welcome to try mine.  I dont have a snubby, but you could at least get a sense of what the kit bags are about.

Mark

New Post
10/12/2012 1:56 AM

Evanhill: Thank you.

Gallopmore: Thank you for your input, that helped tremendously!

Westy: PM'd you. I'll take you up on that offer!!

New Post
11/12/2012 8:25 PM

I have taken the Snubby on multiple runs and am  very happy with it.  In this picture I have my H&K .40 and iPhone inside.

New Post
8/5/2014 8:16 AM

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/25/2016 8:58 AM

We had a woman come by the booth and give us feedback on the kit bags and how they work with the female body. She lives in FL and uses a Snubby daily for running. Her feed back was to put it on loose at belly height and then to use the top straps to cinch it up tight like a "corset" in her words, and that it worked great that way and provided extra stability (again her words).

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunning Kit for a Female Trail RunnerRunning Kit for a Female Trail Runner