Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
7/23/2018 2:21 PM

kevinmcdowell wrote:

Do you have anything attached to the belt? Are you using both foam pads, or just the thinner pad in the Prairie Belt? Are you loosening the Deltas when you take the pack off, and retightening them when you put the pack back on?

I prefer to use the thinner pad when hiking with the Ute. I find it conforms to my hips better than with both pads inserted. You may need to add more curve to the lumbar area of the stays. This will keep the load nested in your lumbar and prevent slipping. If the pack is slipping, it will put pressure on your hips.

1. I have two water bottle pouches and the multi purpose pouch on the belt.

2. Yes I do have both pads in the belt.

3. I do not loosen the load lifters when taking off the bag generally if they are already kind of loose. Ive been trying to get use to the swaying of the bag in lieu of cinching it down as with other bags.

4. It does not feel like its slipping more than thats just where it is riding but as I'm trekking along im more aware of it.

I feel its something stupid that I'm doing wrong. Also when adjusting the stays, to you model them off the outer portion of your back like where your sholder blades are or the middle like down the spine?

New Post
7/23/2018 2:42 PM

1. I use bottle pouches with lighter loads, like on my daypacks, but for heavier loads, I like to keep my hipbelt clear of any additional weight. I've found this to make a big difference in comfort.

2. I would suggest experimenting with just the thinner pad in the belt. It may not be the end all solution, but I feel the hip belt stays conforms better and reduces slipping for me.

3. I was referring to the Delta straps, which are the straps that attach from the pack and connect to the Prairie Belt via a G-Hook. These are useful for sucking the load into the lumbar. I find it necessary to loosen them before taking the pack off, then readjusting once I put the pack back on.

New Post
7/23/2018 5:57 PM

I find things like this very hard to diagnose without pictures so I can see how it is adjusted. You can email info@ with pictures and we can go from there if you want.

FWIW, I recently transitioned away from having bottles on the belt of my qui-Ya. I used to run 1 quarts at 2 and 10 o'clock and that was very comfortable. Then I changed to pistol at 2, 16oz bottle at 4, 16oz bottle at 8, medium GP at 10 and ran that way for a number of years and was happy enough. Then I decided to optimize and removed the bottles. More comfortable. On my Umlindi, I still very happily run the 2/4/8/10 setup.

Also, tightening the load lifters is usually a good thing. I run mine tight enough that my pack has little to no sway -- pretty much the same as an internal with traditional straps would perform. But the torso height and shoulder harness front straps have to be adjusted properly first. Once you get the harness dialed in, you never change it taking the pack off and putting it on. You always loosen hip belt and load lifters before taking off, and always tighten them (hip first, lifters second) after putting it back on.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/24/2018 5:04 AM

kevinmcdowell:
Ok as for the delta straps, I did not have them tight. Oops! I will adjust them, but when tightened do they stay tight or loosen them when removing the bag?
Evenhill:
The 2/4/8/10 is what I'm currently at as well.
-As for the torso height and harness front straps; I see the torso height staying and not changing, that makes sense. Thought I've always loosened the front lateral straps when removing a bag. (The ones that go from shoulder straps/harness to bottom of pack, correct?)
So I'm doing that wrong, dang! Well that's why I'm hear to learn, right.

-Another thing maybe I'm messing up is if you are tightening the load lifters down pretty good is the bag up against your back? Mine is! So do I need to add in more outward bend in the stays so they flex in more to create more of a bow or is that normal?

-Also I know its it best to have weight in the bag when adjusting but to get the torso and harness set up is it better to start out dry then add in weight and dial in from there correct?

So after work today I will get to the house and re-adjust the bag from the info I've gotten and will email you some Pics of me and the bag Evan. I appreciate you doing that by the way.

New Post
7/24/2018 1:00 PM

Ok as for the delta straps, I did not have them tight. Oops! I will adjust them, but when tightened do they stay tight or loosen them when removing the bag?

>> always loosen them as well. I forgot to mention that I didn't have much use for these on the big pack until I went to the current 2/10 layout. Now I'm getting a lot of use out of them.

-As for the torso height and harness front straps; I see the torso height staying and not changing, that makes sense. Thought I've always loosened the front lateral straps when removing a bag. (The ones that go from shoulder straps/harness to bottom of pack, correct?)

>> yes, those are the ones that should also stay the same after you get them dialed. think of it this way -- for the harness to sit properly on your shoulders front to back, both the front and rear adjustment must be dialed to the correct torso length.

-Another thing maybe I'm messing up is if you are tightening the load lifters down pretty good is the bag up against your back? Mine is! So do I need to add in more outward bend in the stays so they flex in more to create more of a bow or is that normal?

>> yep, more outward bend in the stays above the lumbar so they flex around your upper back, not into it. If anything, tightening the load lifters makes the upper part of the pack further from your back.

-Also I know its it best to have weight in the bag when adjusting but to get the torso and harness set up is it better to start out dry then add in weight and dial in from there correct?

>> the only things that really seem to change when you add weight is that you'll find that the torso length needs to be longer than you thought, and often the lumbar curve needs to be deeper than you thought.

So after work today I will get to the house and re-adjust the bag from the info I've gotten and will email you some Pics of me and the bag Evan. I appreciate you doing that by the way.

>> used to be you'd have an expert in a store fitting your new internal frame pack... so we do what we can.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/24/2018 1:20 PM

Ok, so when I get home I will make some adjustment and then some photos and email them over.
I've have several higher end bags, one of which was a few mystery ranch bag but the Marine Corps didn't have a true to form fitting session. HA!
Us: This does not feel right,
Higher Ups: "Suck it up, drink water marine"!
No they did ok, all for fun but its a totally different design bag.
I've had a couple ospreys fitted at places like REI as well, but for the most that seemed to be a bit of a long shot at who you got to help you out.
Anyway all the fun and games out of the way I want to thank you guys for all the great and insightful info and motivation. I want your life Evan, funny but when I cant get out I troll your YouTube videos over and over.
Thanks

New Post
7/25/2018 6:56 AM

I want to thank you guys for all the great and insightful info and motivation. I want your life Evan, funny but when I cant get out I troll your YouTube videos over and over.

I am truly in the midst of a blessed life... that's why I feel a responsibility to inspire people to get out and connect. The adventures I have are something anyone can do. I'm glad you find them motivating.

New Post
7/25/2018 1:56 PM

I sent in the pics last night Evan.
I would agree and wish I was closer your way i would partake in a lot of the community thing y'all do your that way. Plan on relocating in the next few years out west though.

New Post
11/30/2018 5:16 AM

I've searched and cannot find the answer... can you purchase a UTE without a belt for less anymore or is that option gone?

Also, any chance of a UTE in black?

Thanks!

Hal

New Post
11/30/2018 9:44 AM

Yes, but it is a special order so you need to email us at info@hillpeoplegear.com.

As always if you are interested in a specific product in a specific color email us at info@hillpeoplegear.com and let us know.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack