Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGQui-Ya FittingQui-Ya Fitting
Previous

Next
New Post
4/29/2019 8:53 AM

Hi HPG Community,

I bought a Qui-Ya w/ prairie belt a few months ago.   I bought it for the purpose of hiking and CO archery elk hunting in the fall.    I really love the thought, design, and quality that went in this pack, and I have used packs from Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier.   This pack easily stands with the best of them. 

However, I can't seem to get the fit dialed 100%.   I have watched all the videos, adjusted the stays, and played with the harness.   I feel that every time I get one part of it right, another part gets pulled out of whack.    I have an 18-mile ruck march coming up in Castle Rock on Memorial Day, so it is imperative that I get this thing dialed in. 

I'm roughly 5'8" and 170 pounds.   Like I stated above, I have bent the stays and tried to get them to match the curvature of my back.    What I seem to keep ending up with is not enough of the pack in my lumbar and too much of the pack rubbing my shoulder blades.    The U-harness also seems to stay too close to the nape of my neck, never dropping down comfortably on my shoulders.   The pack also seems to ride a bit low with weight (30-50 pound training weight) even with the load lifters fully engaged. 

That may seem like a lot of issues, but it's actually amazing how comfortable it is in spite of those things.  However, I know I'm not doing something right.    If anyone has any advice or tweaks they have done, I would greatly appreciate hearing them!!

All the best, 

New Post
4/29/2019 9:59 AM

If you can, get someone to help you with the stays. I tried to do it myself with my Ute and it took over a year. I finally did get it adjusted right myself, but it was more by accident than anything. Once I did though it was like a light from heaven.

New Post
4/29/2019 10:11 AM

Thanks I appreciate it!  My fiancee was trying to help me a bit but it still seems off.   It seems not matter how much curve I put into those stays to keep it off the top of my back, the load lifters pull it on back.    I know the load lifters will naturally pull it in a bit, but it seems like too much.   

That's why I'm so anxious to get it right, because I know once I do it is going to be great. 

New Post
4/29/2019 12:35 PM

If you aren't I always recommend adjusting it with the actual load you plan to carry most, and the hang of things can sometimes affect load out. Beyond that, it sounds to me like you need to do the following:

Shorten the center strap that the harness attaches to, which will get it off the nape of your neck. Just don't over shorten it, because you will then feel pressure on your lower back right under the shoulder blades.

Bend the stays away from your back at the top more, or start the bend a bit earlier.

Put more curve into the stay so it locks into your lumbar better. At first it might feel like to much, but you basically want it so it sits on the curve without having to torque your belt to much. In general, if the weight is slipping the pack down you don't have enough curve into the lumbar so it is not really locking in with the belt snug (not tight). In my case it always feels a little bit like a back brace.

Finally, it sounds like you are putting to much tension on the lifters. I have found on the longer stays of the qui-Ya the proper bend is important and I actually use less tension then on the lifters due to the added leverage present due to the length. If don't have the property curve in the lumbar you can actually lever them out a bit if you over tension the lifters. I run less tension on the qui-Ya then I do a Ute for instance. I also find the delta straps do more work for me on the qui-Ya then on the Ute.

I hope that helps if not, try and post pictures and we can go from there.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/29/2019 12:45 PM

Scot,

Thanks a ton for the response.   

I am making the adjustments with weight in the pack, so I will continue to do so.  I may even add a little. 

In regard to the center strap, this may seem ignorant, but is it supposed to run through the silver d-ring below it?   It had come loose and I couldn't remember exactly how it should be put back through the harness buckle.   Likely part of my issue. 

I'll take the stays back out tonight and try to continue to put some more curve in them based off your instructions.  I'll send some photos if I can't get it right.

Thanks again!

New Post
4/29/2019 12:50 PM

Yes the strap should run from the pack down through the silver d-ring and back up to the harness. That is how you set the torso adjustment. If you aren't doing it that way I would think it would definitely be high. Don't forget to double it back on itself so it doesn't slip. The idea with the center pivot is that by just loosing your load lifters you can get more upper body mobility while the pack stays centered over your hips. That means the center of gravity rides lower and centered instead of high. Think of climbing over down trees or the like. Instead of the top of the pack pivoting with your shoulders, which can pitch you over with to much weight it stays centered.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/29/2019 12:58 PM

That all makes sense Scot.  Thanks again.   I will continue to work it tonight and hopefully make some solid progress.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGQui-Ya FittingQui-Ya Fitting