Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAir Travel With the Ute ?Air Travel With the Ute ?
Previous

Next
New Post
8/6/2019 4:45 PM

Flying to AK in a week for a caribou hunt. My commercial flying experience is extremely limited so there is lots I don't know.
I'm taking my Ute as checked baggage and am wondering what is the best way to protect the pack while traveling. Do I pack it full and check it that way, or do I put it inside another duffel bag? If inside another duffel do I put the pack in there empty or packed full?
I'm checking it because in my mind it is too big to qualify as carry-on luggage.
Ideas???
Thanks.

New Post
8/7/2019 7:38 AM

You might look into Osprey's "Airporter" series:

http://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/a...-AIRPRTRMD.html

I've used mine for a couple of overseas trips and have been pleased, though I see a lot of bare packs tumbling off the baggage carousel at McGhee Tyson since it's a gateway to the GSMNP.  Your UTE probably wouldn't be worse for wear, though I might go ahead and take off the harness/belt.

Otherwise, I've always flown with a loaded pack, but you definitely need to sift through your gear for banned items: AFAIK, people are still getting their stoves confiscated, even though you're supposed to be able to fly them if they've been cleaned thoroughly and have no residual fuel odor.

New Post
8/7/2019 9:39 AM

Personally, I prefer to carry as little stuff onto and off planes as possible so I always check. Other folks feel differently and have successfully use the Ute as a carry on by removing the stays. I would say check it. I would also probably find a lightweight duffle to put it on. To keep straps and stuff out of conveyer belt machinery and also to make it visually lower profile. That Osprey bag looks pretty sweet. As to pack or unpacked I would probably do it unpacked so if TSA decides they want to look at stuff it is easy for them to just upzip look and then rezip. I would not trust TSA to re-pack my pack and get everything it and closed correctly.

I have never flown with a Ute, but what I normally do it use my day pack for my carry on with my carry on stuff in it, and put my back country stuff in a packed duffle and then just re-packed it when I get there. That keeps things pretty simple when going through security.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/7/2019 10:28 AM

Good info. I appreciate both of you sharing your experience based ideas.

New Post
8/22/2019 1:50 AM

I have used the Ute as my main travel bag all over the place and I just pack it full, slap a lock on it and tie all the compression straps tight. Make sure nothing is loose and flopping around. The bag is tough, I wouldn't worry about it, at least I don't. I don't think it will fit in carry on, but if you keep it on your back when you check in and you make it through security...they will at least let you try to fit it, worse case scenario they will check it at the gate. However, go through it to make sure there is nothing like a loose shell or something.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAir Travel With the Ute ?Air Travel With the Ute ?