Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHeavy recon kit bag hand muff?Heavy recon kit bag hand muff?
Previous

Next
New Post
11/15/2019 7:30 AM

I just purchased one of these recently for hunting here in CO and am really liking it. i'm curious if anyone has tried attaching a hand muff to the bottom? Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance,

John

New Post
11/18/2019 7:44 PM

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/forumid/23/postid/20795/scope/posts
I know alpenderms did it with two pouches but cannot seem to find it

New Post
11/19/2019 8:15 AM

I've got the Cabelas Down version and hang it by the cinched up waist strap from a couple of grimlocs on the bottom of the kit bag. Works great!

New Post
11/19/2019 8:23 AM

It is unlikely we will ever make hand muff. There are just to many on the market including one from FS. Also we have never really used one as we just layer gloves in essence doing the same thing. However, for stationary stuff they have their place. I would just select one with straps or loops of some kind that then attached to grimlocks on the bottom of my Kit Bag. Personally, I would be looking for something with primaloft gold or one insulation, and a tougher exterior, but probably not like 1000d tough.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/19/2019 8:48 AM

I have hand warmers from Kifaru and Wiggy's, while it may be possible to rig a more 'refined' attachment system I just use 550 cord.

There are a number of cheaper muffs available from Cabela's et al. Wiggy redesigned their's into a boomerang, it is moderately priced and warm. If you want to spend more then I would look at FHF or 215Gear.

I stay away from the fuzzy fleece interior as it seems to be a magnet for dirt and moisture. I prefer a smooth nylon lining, and wear a light glove liner so my hands don't freeze up when I actually need to use them.

New Post
11/19/2019 9:00 AM

FHF makes good stuff that is well designed and thought out, and are good people to boot.

I haven't really thought of it, but yeah a smooth lining would be a requirement for me if I was looking. If for no other reason than it make it easier to slide my gloved hand in and out. My typical go to is to wear a OR nomex glove then add fingerless rag wool gloves over that. If I needed even more I have OR mittens on a tether system that goes over those layers. That is why I have never really ran a muff. I can still do all my hand manipulations and they are protected from cold metal and the like with the nomex/rag wool combo, and with the mittens over I can still use my hands a lot with full protection, I just lose the finger manipulation component.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/21/2019 6:56 AM

Thanks for all the input. I’ve got a Cabelas muff I thought I’d tinker with. I cut the waist cinch off and sewed loops on to use with the grimlocs. I think it’ll work real good for long sits glassing/hunting and then stick it in my pack for those active times.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHeavy recon kit bag hand muff?Heavy recon kit bag hand muff?