Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHow to carry rifle - UteHow to carry rifle - Ute
Previous

Next
New Post
6/7/2014 4:01 PM

So what is the best way to carry a rifle, specifically an AR type rifle (but also regular bolt gun) on the Ute backpack? Ie, hands free.

New Post
6/8/2014 9:09 AM

You can hook Kifaru gun Bearer up.  http://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

New Post
6/9/2014 9:53 AM

If you want quick access -- hand carry, Kifaru gun bearer, or assault style sling in what I call "cross body african". Cross body african is more comfortable with an Umlindi than a Ute. If quick access isn't important, on the side of the pack tucked into the wand pocket is by far the best. If it needs to be concealed, get two 717 stuff sacks and put the upper in one and lower in the other. Stow one bag on each side of the pack in the wand pocket under the compression.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/9/2014 10:55 AM

Does the Kifaru gun bearer work when wearing a Kit Bag? What if I'm using side-pockets or compression sacks? Any ideas? And what is the snow shovel on your pack - and where is the handle? Or do you just make one if needed?

New Post
6/9/2014 1:21 PM

The bearer will work just fine with the kit bag. You just need to orient the kit bag so the top strap assembly is above or below it depending on your carry style. If you are wide chested, you might be able to run them both next to one another. It wouldn't be affected by side pockets either. If it is, you can lower the butt of the rifle with the lower strap and also change the angle slightly. Overall, you should be fine but just need to fine tune a hair.

New Post
6/9/2014 3:32 PM

We typically put the handles on the side to keep the load compact. The shovel is a voile (sp?). Be aware that with the gun bearer and a 16" barrel the muzzle is right at your face, and if someone is going up the hill in front of you it is easy for the muzzle to cover their head or back. For those reasons I am not a fan. I have used the gun bearer on the side of a pack, but it is only a bit faster than just strapping to the side of the pack.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/11/2014 8:09 AM

I will echo Scot's concerns in that use case. In any use case not involving active hunting or where no one is in front of me up hill, it has been fantastic.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHow to carry rifle - UteHow to carry rifle - Ute