Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGanyone run a Recon harness with their kit bag?anyone run a Recon harness with their kit bag?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/11/2017 8:20 AM

I ordered one with my kit bag for trips that require more gear than just the kit bag, but less gear than what my Tara holds. Most importantly it will provide a way to carry water. 

I've been playing around with mine and was able to fit a sitpad (1/4" ccf) in the pocket along w/ my bladder. Also discovered with my 1 liter bladder there was room below it for SOL heavy duty blanket and a couple of 12 hour candles- with the sit pad, a make shift emergency shelter. 

I'm going to add a pocket on the back for a little additional storage. 

New Post
5/11/2017 9:29 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact, I recently used a very similar set-up with my Recon Harness while in Texas teaching some skills to some US DOJ pilots.  I used a cut down piece of a GI foam pad in the mesh slot pocket, along with a Source Hydration bladder.  On the back of the Recon Harness, I used the shock cord bungee system to carry a Wind Cheater and a poncho (for an improvised shelter system).  The rest of my kit was taken care of by my Heavy Recon Kit Bag (including 1911 with spare mags), and my Recon Belt outfitted as a sustainable belt kit, to include use of the M2016 Butt Pack.  I was able to roll with a fairly robust IFAK / Trauma kit and Survival kit in the SKD Tac BUP pouches on the belt, and then other sustainment items (to include food and a small Trangia alcohol stove with cookset) in the M2016.  A pair of Hydroflask water bottles and my large Askari Bush Knife for hacking through Texas brush or to use against any encounters with "Jake No-Shoulders" or his buddies.  Here are a few photos.

Ken

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/12/2017 8:12 AM

Nice! :)
I just ordered a Medium gp pocket (I'll mount on the back) for a little additional room. I've got a 5x8' sil poncho/tarp in the works for rain/shelter, along with a light fleece to be lashed under the shock cord.

Should make for a relatively light setup for a day hike in the mountains.

New Post
5/16/2017 8:52 PM

I'm already for buy a tarahumara for me. But for my needs tarahurama is as small. And Unlindi is much big. So, I'm thinking in attach recon harness as back panel for tarahumara.

I already dream with hill people gear make a back panel with first spear 6/12 fabrics for attach in HPG packs ou outside in HPG pockets. The pals pocket have 6/12 fabric in reverse position. And I believe pals pocket no fits so good in tarahumara.

Something ideal is similar to VEP pannel from first spear. Any suggestions for me before I make my buy?

Thanks.

New Post
5/17/2017 7:05 AM

not sure how well the recon harness would work with the Tara- if you need a little extra volume a dry bag/stuff sack under the compression works well

this is a pic from HPG of their stuff sack on a Tara

I use a dry bag from Outdoor Research in a similar fashion

New Post
5/17/2017 8:11 AM

orodizi wrote:
I'm already for buy a tarahumara for me. But for my needs tarahurama is as small. And Unlindi is much big. 

Look at the Connor Pack, it is bigger than a Tarahumara and smaller than an Umlindi. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/17/2017 12:43 PM

Hi Scott, your suggestion opened my eyes for connor. Thanks. Do you believe I already has forget the connor pack existence? Funny.

The fact I suggest use Recon Harness attached to Tarahumara is because 6/12 fabrics. It will work as modular back pannel. 

mtwarden, Dry sack/stuff don't work in my case. I need molle (6/12) options. But thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe Connor will work for me because it have wings with lateral molle attachment.And the ideal size.

But, I suggest HPG make your version of this:

http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17864

For me, attach external itens is ideal. And something like vep pannel or 6/12 fabrics cover for pack will attach as modular pannel with all HPG packs.

Thanks.

New Post
5/17/2017 1:00 PM

As you point out the Palspocket already does essential that, but won't work on the Tarahumara, which is intentionally a small light pack.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/19/2017 8:36 PM

worked a little more with the Recon; I added a medium pocket at the top

I used a smaller OR dry bag to hold a light insulated jacket, beanie and gloves- I put some g-hooks to work and built a small compression strap

I've teamed it up w/ a Subby kit bag; after fiddling around with it, I found it rides better with the stabilizer strap

going to give the setup a whirl in the mountains tomorrow

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGanyone run a Recon harness with their kit bag?anyone run a Recon harness with their kit bag?