Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRYASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRY
Previous

Next
New Post
11/3/2017 3:44 PM

Pack looks good. The panel looks very useful and the front slot pocket will be handy. Excited for the solid color Coyote. Have a few questions:

-- the stated weight is 4.4 lbs, how much of that weight are the aluminum stays? Are they removeable from the framesheet?

-- Is front Aston Panel removeable and will it eventually be available separately -- will need these for my other packs?

-- Coyote is a color choice (Bravo!), does this mean that there will be Coyote Recon Belts and Coyote Prairie Belts?

Thanks in advance.

New Post
11/3/2017 4:24 PM

Agreed, super excited about this pack! Looks like the perfect long day trip hunting pack that I've been wanting for some time. Also excited to see how it looks in coyote.

One question, purely just a curiosity point, why the dual attachment points on this pack rather than the single attachment point? Is there a perceived benefit to this?

New Post
11/3/2017 5:56 PM

- stays are removable and weigh 8oz for the pair. weight would not be a good reason to remove them, as doing so would increase the felt weight of the load by several times what the stays weigh.

- yes, the Aston Panel is removable and will eventually be available separately ($55, IIRC)

- not doing coyote belts: 1) the rationale behind coyote is for folks who need them as assault packs and wouldn't be using belts 2) ranger matches OK, and by the time you put coyote pouches on the belt it's color is pretty much irrelevant. Things might be breaking free on the "brown belts" front next year though.

- we tested both single and dual harness attachments. single is a little better on a belted pack, dual is a little better beltless. we decided to err on the side of beltless for this pack and probably should do the same for the AH as well (no plans at the moment).

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/3/2017 7:35 PM

I will end up with one of these down the road because it solves a couple small issues I have with my current Aston House to packing in the hills. Mainly the water bottle pockets. My current AH is serving as a tool bag for work and doing a fantasy job of it. Any chance a guy could get a hold of the dual stay frame sheet for a current Aston House?

New Post
11/4/2017 3:30 PM

Will the PALS pocket fit nicely on the slot pocket pals cuts (with malice clips). would be a nice extra panel compartment if it did not cover the slot pocket zipper

New Post
11/8/2017 4:06 PM

I love the layout of this pack. It's as if my old bag had a love child with my Umlindi. I liked the minimalist organization and the panel loading of the old bag, but the shoulder straps didn't work for me. The Umlindi is super comfortable, but I miss the panel loading aspect. Thanks Hill brothers.

New Post
11/9/2017 4:11 AM

I know suggestions are lame, but that panel, without the molles cut (or maybe just less of it) and with a mesh panel on one side for stuffing wet stuff or a hoodie) would be awesome.

New Post
11/9/2017 10:18 AM

It's hard to see from the video and pictures, but will this AH also have the handle on the side?  I loved that aspect of the AH to carry and grab.

New Post
11/9/2017 11:58 AM

Yes it has a handle on the side

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/12/2017 7:52 AM

Any update on ETA? Look forward to seeing the other color ways as well.

New Post
11/14/2017 6:21 AM

Hi! Is the framesheet of AHBC compatible with Connor pack? The plan is to use AHBC as a main bag and have frameless Connor packed somewhere, could I then take a framesheet from AHBC and insert it to Connor to use it as a day-pack?

New Post
11/14/2017 1:13 PM

sliding_shade wrote:
Hi! Is the framesheet of AHBC compatible with Connor pack?

It's the same size as the Connor framesheet, but I think it would be nearly impossible with the stay layout and how a Connor framesheet inserts to get it in there. Your use case doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though... why wouldn't you just compress the AHBC if you wanted something smaller?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRYASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRY