Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhich companion for the Ute?Which companion for the Ute?
Previous

Next
New Post
1/17/2019 4:02 PM

Hey all, I'm putting together a modular scalable pack and I'd like some advice.

I've landed on the Ute with a Prairie belt as the base, plus a M2016 butt pack.

I also want to add an additional storage space which I can have as an option if the distance/environment/activity demands more space than the Ute+Butt Pack provides.

The options are:
- Connor Pack.
- PALSPOCKET V2.
- TARAPOCKET V2.

If anybody has any pics of the Connor or Tarapocket attached to a Ute please post them.

If anybody has any advice on the pros/cons of each option please share them.

New Post
1/17/2019 8:02 PM

To my mind, this is too subjective to answer. It really all depends on what your plans are. As an example, if I were only looking for added storage, I would go with the Conner, and leave it on there for the organization. I just couldn’t like it as a stand alone pack. If you want something to use as a pack also, I would go with the Tarahumara. It is far more comfortable to me than the Conner for some reason, and has the water bottle pockets I like. I have the V2 Pals Pocket with capture flap and V2 harness I am messing with now. So far it is almost as comfortable as the Tarahumara, and has better access for camera stuff that I am carrying.

New Post
2/7/2019 7:14 AM

I would like to know his as well,im thinking the Palspocket because i want more organization?Maybe with a few multi purpose pouches on the belt?
Does the butt pack worknok with the ute?

New Post
2/7/2019 9:33 AM

Quinton wrote:
I would like to know his as well,im thinking the Palspocket because i want more organization?Maybe with a few multi purpose pouches on the belt?
Does the butt pack worknok with the ute?

You can mount it as a top pocket to the Ute.

New Post
2/7/2019 9:54 AM

My favorite, and our best selling pocket, is the Palspocket. While I am not a fan of the panel loader design for my entire pack, I really like it for the back pocket. As you said it allows you to fully organize and then I can just lay the pack down to access everything. That being said I still pull out an hold Highlander for heavier winter loads were I need more volume due to insulation. Mainly because I haven't yet upgraded to a qui-Ya in which case it will probably be a Palspocket instead of the Highlander.

I typically have a medium gp on the left side of my belt and a bicycle water bottle holder on each side towards the back. I used to have 1 qts on there, but found I just didn't like the weight. For the most part my water rides in the wand pockets on the sides of my pack, but the holders on my belt allow me to easily add water or insulated bottles with hot water or tea to my load out. These days I mostly carry on my belt so a kydex pancake holster is on the right side. I prefer the older Raven Phantoms, but others work too.

The buttpack is sized to work as a top pocket, but I typically keep my windcheater (if not worn) or a rain coat on top. If I can't get the stuff in my Ute with a backpocket I would go to a qui-Ya.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/7/2019 12:16 PM

Whats your opinion on the conner vs the pals in the ute,with the option of using a harness for a day pack?

New Post
2/8/2019 10:57 AM

I haven't tried it out. I tried it once early on and it worked alright. I kind of lump it in with the highlander if I need a Ute plus Connor space, then I am just going to go to the qui-Ya and Palspocket. I personally don't pull the pocket off to use it as a day pack. The packs cinch down tight enough I just don't see the need. I have carried the Connor a fair amount as a pack and for that it works pretty well.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/8/2019 6:41 PM

Im just wanting a versatile set up,i know both can be used as day packs but figured one might work better.

Use ute to pack 3 day camp in and then use my kitbag and possibly the conner/pals etc for leaving camp to fish etc.Or maybe even pack one of those cheap rope bags to throw on my back.

New Post
2/8/2019 7:05 PM

It just boils down to how much space you need. If a Ute and Palspocket is enough space then it is a good setup. I would just use the Ute as the daypack then. I have used a Ute as a daypack a lot and like it for that.

New Post
2/8/2019 7:49 PM

Quinton, I have used the Ute as you described, but I used a Tarahumara attached to it as my fishing pack.

New Post
2/9/2019 1:51 PM

I've been using the Ute with the Tara pocket for cold weather trips. I use the Tara for my hard shell, gloves, puffy etc. Anything I think I might need access to without having to open the main pack. I also add my lunch for that day if there's room. My overall set up includes the Ute with Tara pocket, Prairie belt with 2 small water bottle holders and GP pouch on the left side and then my V2 Kit bag. With that set up I can comfortably pack everything I need for a multi day trip in the cold weather. The Tara pocket lacks organization but I actually prefer it that way. I can loose pack it and compress the load as much as I need. One other thing I like about the Tara is that you can rely on it as separate storage pocket for any wet layers or rain fly if needed. It makes the Ute so versatile.

New Post
2/11/2019 8:35 AM

x 2 on Michael's set-up. Mine only varies with how cold it is or whether its more than 72hrs (and a Recon Kitbag).
I also prefer the Tarapocket for loose packing, in line with Michael's idea. I have added a small and medium Kifaru pullout on slik clip from the top hang loops inside the Tara (truck keys, head lamp, snacks).
If it is very cold or 72+ hrs, then I use the Highlander with a Tara Insert and two medium GP Pouches and a Tool Roll for additional organization. I will also add one of the stuff sacks for a shelter or tent in between the Ute and the Highlander.

Craig

New Post
2/12/2019 6:28 PM

Can the conner be attached to the ute with the harness left on and frame sheet still in?

New Post
2/13/2019 1:51 AM

I imagine you could, but having owned a Connor with a frame sheet, it was stiff! I think it would be awkward with the frame sheet in.

New Post
2/13/2019 6:09 AM

I replaced the frame sheet in my Connor with a foam sheet. For me the stiff sheet felt odd on a small belt less pack. That makes it easier to put on a Ute without having to remove the sheet.

New Post
2/13/2019 3:47 PM

Any idea on when some ranger green pals pockets will be made? Thanks

New Post
2/13/2019 3:54 PM

Should be in the next couple of weeks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhich companion for the Ute?Which companion for the Ute?