Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGOptimal Bladder for Recon Harness & FitmentOptimal Bladder for Recon Harness & Fitment
Previous

Next
New Post
4/25/2019 12:48 PM

Hi all, I just received a Recon Harness to pair with my Heavy Recon Kit Bag, for short hikes when I don't need the capacity of my Tarahumara.  So far I've mounted a Medium GP to the back, and will reserve the shock-cord section for a light layer, but I'm trying to figure out what the optimal bladder size would be for this set-up. 

I've seen people using the Source 1L Kangaroo Canteens with room to spare.  They look like a slick option but I think I'd rather a bit more capacity.  I tried my 3L Source bladder and that worked okay but the weight did seem to throw off the balace of the rig a bit, and I wasn't quite a fan of its height with respect to the mesh compartment.  I'm thinking the 2L Source would hit the sweet spot of size and capacity, does anyone have experience with that particular one, or anything else in that size range?

One other question I had was about how the Recon harness is supposed to ride.  I find that with a bladder and adjusting to the point where the harness drapes the shoulders, the bottom of the harness comes off my back.  If I lower it to where it's flush against my back the harness doesn't really drape the shoulders anymore and the wide spots on the harness barely crest my shoulders.  Am I overthinking this or is there some ideal way to rig this thing?       

New Post
5/7/2019 2:05 PM

HPG wrote:

This product works well for very light counterbalanced loads in conjunction with a Kit Bag. Be aware that if you are anticipating carrying any more than 5-7 lbs on back, you're much better off with a Tarahumara pack worn separately from your Kit Bag.  

The water in the 3L source bladder weighs 6.61lbs alone.  The 2L would be 4.411lbs.  Add the ~0.5lbs of any source bladder and you'll be right on the edge edge of "more than 5-7lbs".  So YMMV but I would personally go with a waist mounted setup like the Prairie or Recon waist belts w/ any additional accessories I'd need.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGOptimal Bladder for Recon Harness & FitmentOptimal Bladder for Recon Harness & Fitment