Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat is the practical effect of setting the shoulder mounting pointsWhat is the practical effect of setting the shoulder mounting points
Previous

Next
New Post
9/17/2019 10:32 AM

further down the pack?  Say for example that the harness attachment shown here attached instead a quarter of the way down the pack? The top of a pack might line up with the top of the harness (and then perhaps load lifter straps are installed)

Not specific to this pack, this pic only used as an example of having attachment points at the top of a pack, more like the Ute except that is larger than what I'm looking for.

Though, speaking of the Umlindi, I have a Scree 32, adjustable torso length shoulder straps and lifting straps that makes the fit perfect to my back, instead of having a low pack, top edge line rubbing my shoulder blades.

New Post
9/18/2019 8:02 AM

In the picture, the harness isn't adjusted correctly -- it's too high relative to the pack.

My goal, even with an unbelted pack, is to load the lumbar curve as much as possible to relieve weight from the shoulders and make life easier on the spine. Loading the lumber curve also has the effect of moving the Load Center of Gravity closer to the body center of gravity which makes for a more comfortable carry. In general I'm trying to get the bottom of the pack to ride even with the belt line regardless of pack height. The Tarahumara is kind of an exception because it is so small that it's reasonably comfortable a little higher on the back.

Moving the harness lower on packs in the 19" and shorter range effectively moves the pack up the body which is an ergonomic disaster. It guarantees that only the shoulders will be loaded and the mid spine will become a fulcrum for an unwieldy mass jutting out from the shoulder blades. Load lifters won't do a thing to help the situation on a pack that short.

I'll only start moving the harness down the pack and adding load lifters as the pack gets taller than that 19" range. That lets the bottom of the pack be where it should but the top of the pack is starting to climb above the level where the harness naturally needs to go on most bodies.

This picture from our Pack Fitment page illustrates the concept:

The stay is essentially the height of the pack and the bottom of the stay is the fixed position where I always want the bottom of the pack to ride. You can see that the 19" Umlindi in your first picture is still short enough that the harness needs to start at the top of the pack. When you step up to that 21" height, the harness now needs to ride lower than the top of the pack for the bottom of the pack to still be where it should.

One additional point -- all of our packs are torso height adjustable because it's so important to get that bottom of the pack to start of harness dimension correct for maximum load carriage. The Umlindi is actually borderline. On shorter people, it can't quite be adjusted for as short of torso height as need be. However, it's a special case as it was designed to be the largest belted lumbar pack practical even though it works well beltless. As soon as packs get tall enough to drop the harness lower and use load lifters, I drop the harness a lot lower -- 17" on packs that can be run either belted or beltless, 12" on packs that are only meant to be run with a belt.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/18/2019 8:18 AM

Thanks Evan.

I had been thinking beforehand "if the Umlinid was just four inches taller, maybe six" lol

I have no experience with the Delta strap style of pulling in the pack, only that of systems where the shoulder strap height is adjustable, relative to the hip belt, but also includes load lifters (in reality; pack puller-inners lol) such as on Mystery Ranch packs, it sucks in the pack without loading up the shoulders.

I'm 5' 8" but have a 21" back, guess I'm missing 1.5-2 inches in the legs lol.

I like the options the Umlindi provides ....

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat is the practical effect of setting the shoulder mounting pointsWhat is the practical effect of setting the shoulder mounting points