Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWill My Pistol Fit?Will My Pistol Fit?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/5/2011 12:55 PM

The forum software completely bungled my attempt to split a thread out, so this is a new "will my pistol fit" thread. If you don't see your pistol listed yet, but have successfully carried it in the Kit Bag, please chime in. Here's the list:

• 5" 1911 with 10 round magazine and TLR1 weapon light
  • 4" S&W N-frame
  • 4" Taurus tracker
  • 5" M&P pro with TLR1
  • 4 5/8" M&P .45acp with TLR1
  • (3) 30 round p-mag AR magazines sticking out of the top
  • (2) 20 round .308 mags
  • 4" Ruger Redhawk
  • 51/2" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with round butted grip frame
  • Glocks - all of them, with or without TLR2
  • S&W 6" 629 classic 44 magnum, snug fit with factory rubber grip
  • Amazon Kindle

What will not fit:

• iPad 1
  • You can cram an iPad 2 in there, but it doesn't really fit

Honestly, if you're asking which electronic device will fit, you're probably better off looking at the Kifaru Koala. It has a little bigger footprint, and is a LOT deeper - 8"x12"x4.5". I wouldn't carry one on my chest, but it makes a very nice little EDC man purse that you can put on your chest in a pinch.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/12/2011 4:19 PM

Newb to the forum and a new owner of a coyote Kit Bag  Just a little "around the house" wear for day-1, but it does fit a few others:

• Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel (using Pachmayr grips) - it's the tightest fit, but will work with just iron sights
  • All CZ variants I own: CZ-97B, CZ-75 (pre-B), CZ-85, CZ P-01, Semicompact and Compact 75B versions
  • Sig P226 (old school) with rail adapter and older TL light WITH a 20rd extended factory Sig Mag
  • Sig P220 with rail and Surefire X300 and a factory 10rd extended magazine
  • Sig P228 and P6/P225
  • I have a XD 45 Compact that has plenty of room; I'll make the assumption it will easily hold all the XD models as well.
  • Steyr M9-A1 9mm
  • Two (2) 30rd FAL mags (horizontal)
  • Four (4) Hungarian 20rd AK mags
  • Two (2) 30rd AK mags
  • Five (5) 30rd USGI M1 Carbine mags
  • Two (2) Saiga 12 gauge APG 10rd mags (a little stiff, but feasible if it floats your boat!)

ROCK6

New Post
5/19/2011 7:13 PM

You've pretty well covered the bases on handguns, but I'll reinforce that the Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" in 45 Colt fits quite nicely and I've packed a full-size H&K USP around a bit with no problems.

New Post
11/6/2011 12:59 PM

evanhill wrote

The forum software completely bungled my attempt to split a thread out, so this is a new "will my pistol fit" thread. If you don't see your pistol listed yet, but have successfully carried it in the Kit Bag, please chime in. Here's the list:

• 5" 1911 with 10 round magazine and TLR1 weapon light
  • 4" S&W N-frame
  • 4" Taurus tracker
  • 5" M&P pro with TLR1
  • 4 5/8" M&P .45acp with TLR1
  • (3) 30 round p-mag AR magazines sticking out of the top
  • (2) 20 round .308 mags
  • 4" Ruger Redhawk
  • 51/2" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with round butted grip frame
  • Glocks - all of them, with or without TLR2
  • S&W 6" 629 classic 44 magnum, snug fit with factory rubber grip
  • Amazon Kindle

What will not fit:

• iPad 1
  • You can cram an iPad 2 in there, but it doesn't really fit

Honestly, if you're asking which electronic device will fit, you're probably better off looking at the Kifaru Koala. It has a little bigger footprint, and is a LOT deeper - 8"x12"x4.5". I wouldn't carry one on my chest, but it makes a very nice little EDC man purse that you can put on your chest in a pinch.

Well that is good to know. I was hoping that it would, so I could carry it in there while in town visiting our wifi spots. But still am getting one for my gear. Will have to look into a Koala.

New Post
1/25/2012 7:53 PM

More gleaned elsewhere...

I just checked with my regular Kit Bag and a 5.5" Bisley Vaquero. It fit, but barely. The zipper wants to hang up on the rear tip of the grip frame. A 5" M27 with magna stocks fit slightly better, but had the same problem. A Glock 21 (non SF) had room to spare. Hope this helps.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/25/2012 11:05 PM

In my Runners Kit Bag, my Ruger GP100 4" fits good at an angle but it snug if it drops flat with the bottom seam.  Still easy to get the zipper open.

New Post
3/19/2012 11:53 AM

It will also fit the Freedom Arms Model 83 4 3/4" barrel with standard grip. The round butt version would be even better.

New Post
4/15/2013 2:13 AM

Hopefully they will make redevelopment of this to make it work on iPad devices.

New Post
6/11/2013 4:18 PM

The original Kit Bag will fit a S&W 4" X-frame.

New Post
8/2/2013 9:06 AM

Note that people have had trouble with fit with the stock oversized Hogue grips (they are very long). Going to smaller Hogue, Pachy, etc. grips alleviated the issue.

New Post
8/23/2013 5:26 AM

My HK USP45 Tactical w/ Surefire X300 Ultra mounted will fit in the Runners Kit Bag.  The extra tall sights (made to clear a suppressor) stick up a bit in the back but if you open it by sticking your fingers into the bag (as opposed to grabbing the pulls on the front) it opens without a snag.  Needless to say my HK USPf9 or HK P30S fit in there just fine (along with a spare mag).

New Post
8/23/2013 11:24 AM

Rob - I see you are rocking a USP and P30.  I am looking to pick up a P30L in .40cal but have no experience with HK pistols, only HK rifles.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

New Post
8/23/2013 10:04 PM

Craig Robertson wrote

Rob - I see you are rocking a USP and P30.  I am looking to pick up a P30L in .40cal but have no experience with HK pistols, only HK rifles.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't have the "L" version, just the regular P30S (with manual safety) but it's on my short list.  I'm a diehard HK fanboy, so take my comments with a grain of salt.  I love the P30!  It's considerably more compact than the USPf9, mostly because it's very melted/sculpted vs. the blocky styling of a USP or Glock.  And if you can't make the P30 fit your hand you're beyond hope!  The backstrap is replacable but so are both side panes.  You have three different options for each part so thats 27 different combinations if my math is right.  The version I have has an ambi manual safety and a separate decocker button; to me that's the ideal setup and one you don't see on many other guns.  Ergonomics are really superb.  Plus, like every HK I've owned, it's far more accurate than I am.  The P30 seems to run flatter and faster than my USPs, too.  Probably due to a slightly different mechanical recoil system.  I was really surprised how fast I could shoot it with accuracy vs any other 9mm I've ever run (inlcuding my BHP and a bunch of Sigs and Glocks).  I expect that the Light LEM option is very good but I'm 'old school'.  I've carried Cocked-and-Locked for 25 years, hard to teach this old dog a new trick.  But lots of guys have moves away from Condition One in favor of the LEM.  Note that all new production versions of the P30 that have a LEM have the Light LEM- the Heavy LEM is discontinued.  You can tell them apart by the shape of the trigger return spring.

I think the P30L would be even better.  I want to get an LS version with the longer slide and the manual safety.  Only issue is whether to get a 9mm or a .40.  Overall I like 9mm better, and it would use the same mags I already have (and I have five).  On the other hand if I got a .40 I would have a few more ammo options.  It seems like when .22LR, 9mm and even .45 ACP is in short supply I can always find forty.

I only have on caution- if you're ordering it online BE VERY CAREFUL TO ORDER THE RIGHT ONE!  HK's model #'s are positively Byzantine, and most websites get it wrong.  For example, Bud's gunshop will have a picture of one model, the description of another and the model # of a third.  ALWAYS RELY ON THE MODEL!  Go to the HK website and look up all the variations.  It's the only way to make sure.

Right now I have two full sized USP9s, a USP45 Tactical and the P30S.  I dropped in a match trigger for my newest USP9, and I plan to have the Match LEM Hybrid done to the other one.  Luckily the Runners Kit Bag is large enough for any one of my HKs, although the USP45 Tactical is a tighter fit with the Surefire X300 Ultra on it.

Sorry to sidetrack the discussion!  Just wanted to answer the question about the P30.

New Post
4/5/2014 5:11 PM

Ruger Redhawk .44mag w/ a 5.5" barrel

Ruger Blackhawk .41mag w/ a 4 5/8" barrel

Both fit, but it's snug.

Should know about a G20 w/ a 6" barrel next week.

New Post
4/7/2014 11:15 PM

husky390 wrote

Ruger Redhawk .44mag w/ a 5.5" barrel

Ruger Blackhawk .41mag w/ a 4 5/8" barrel

Both fit, but it's snug.

Should know about a G20 w/ a 6" barrel next week.

G20 w/ a 6" barrel fits perfectly.

New Post
12/6/2014 6:08 PM

just got my original kit bag in and WOW !!!!!

been sticking everything I own in it.. 

HK USP full size with mag well and 16 round mag w TL1 light

custom ruger 454 cut to 5" (fit at an angle)

custom ruger redhawk cut to 3" (easy fit"

4" python, s&w mod 19, ruger gp 100, glock 19, 30, 21 (with mag well and +2 extension)

Hk P2000, USP compact, sig 226, 220, 229, 1911 5", para ord P12,

also a ruger MK I 5.25 and a SR22 w huntertown arms "B" suppressor :-)

what won't fit, 6" auto mag, 12" S&W 500 bone collector, 6" python, comp-ed 1911, Oh and the ar pistol :-)

hope this helps with your choice :-)

Talon

New Post
2/24/2015 6:21 PM

A fnx-45 fits very well in the original kit bag.

New Post
2/25/2015 12:44 PM

Original kit bag:

Ruger SR9c with TLR-3 weaponlight

Ruger Mk III, 6" barrel

New Post
3/8/2015 11:28 PM

I am super excited to have just purchased the stubby, watched your gear and kit bags develop for the last four years and finally found one that may fit my chest size. I have a number of small pistols and revolvers that I carry daily on my bike commute to work (as law enforcement). I will let you know after I receive the stubby how the different pistols fit in the kit bag, for my bike commute and run commute thru my urban city.

New Post
3/11/2015 6:50 PM

I'm new to the forum, so greeting to all.    Took the Runner's Kit Bag that I ordered last week on its first run this evening, about 2.25 miles.    
 Had an iPhone, small folding knife, ID and Glock 20 Gen 4 with spare mag.   I'm still getting used to it but it worked great.  So far, so good.

Also practiced a few presentations.  Video on the Hill People Gear site was a good tutorial and it seems easy to get the hang of.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWill My Pistol Fit?Will My Pistol Fit?