Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte/Bedroll SetupUte/Bedroll Setup
Previous

Next
New Post
1/25/2013 5:55 PM

The Ute video describes using a stuff sack to lash and carry a synthetic sleeping bag/air mattress combo on top of the Ute for multi-day trips.  I understand the rationale for this, have a bulky low-density item high, thereby keeping the center-of-gravity lower to foster balance for off trail walking.

I favor down bags, and as such prefer my bag sequestered inside a drybag which is in turn, surrounded by a trash compactor bag.  I just wondered if anyone has tested or considered carrying the food bag up top in such a manner, and how the Ute carried if so?  Five or so days of food should be about the same size as the bedroll in the vid but weigh twice as much.

New Post
1/26/2013 11:11 AM

I carried my food (5 day) in a dry bag on top of my pack bag MMR external setup. It just took up too much roon to put in my pack and I never really had issues with my pack feeling top heavy. Not sure how it will rid with the Ute internal though?

New Post
1/26/2013 2:38 PM

Putting your densest item (food) up top like that is actually better for load transfer to your body because it places weight more over your center of gravity than any other location in your pack. The downside is that in off-trail circumstances it might feel a little "tippy" and tire out your core and stabilizing muscles more quickly.

TAK, I'm pretty sure your core is in sorry shape, so I'd recommend not putting a food bag up top in your particular case

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte/Bedroll SetupUte/Bedroll Setup