Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
1/30/2013 2:02 PM

this thread is for questions about the Ute and reports from those who have used it.

If you haven't yet, start by checking out the In Detail page here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Product...

as well as the Prairie Belt In Detail page here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Product...

There is also a historical thread here that was active during the development of the pack that has a lot of questions and answers mixed in (won't hold it against you if you re-ask something here that was asked in the historical thread. It is a really long one):

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/t...

Beyond those things, fire away!

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/31/2013 1:41 PM

Mines on order and I plan on training with it for an event almost immediately... I think in the last thread you had stated it would be good upt to about 60lbs?

Also, I don't suppose you could post a video showing how to bend the stays to custom fit a back on someone?? That part was a bit confusing, though I understand the purpose... I think seeing you fit someone might help?

Mike

forumPoster is not the actual poster. If you are the actual poster, please make another quick post claiming this post. Sorry, too much moderator overhead to change the attribution on this post.

New Post
2/1/2013 7:54 AM

The Ute will be good up to whatever weight you're willing to carry in *any* internal frame pack. I call that at about 60 pounds, above which an external is just better. If you've satisfactorily used any other internal to carry loads above 60, the Ute should be just as satisfactory.

Yes, this is the second request on a stay shaping video. That's now on my list.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/2/2013 2:52 PM

Okay, I've been tinkering with my Ute for about a day.  You can read about that here.  I ran into an issue getting the stays all the way inserted.  Basically it would appear that the bar tacking reinforcements might be taking up too much space.  There is more information and pics in the post I just linked to. 

Some other questions that I might figure out through more tinkering are as follows.

Is there an optimum, intended ride position for the shoulder harness?  In other words, how close to the "bottom of the U" should the back of your neck be?

Should there be any slack left in the upper delta straps after snugging?  I'm not seeing anything left over.

Should the take-off points for the lifter straps on the shoulder harness be over the collar bones like in other designs?

I'm going to continue to browse through forum pics and see if I can glean some info that way.

New Post
2/2/2013 3:26 PM

I'm going to answer your questions in the stand alone thread you created because the pictures are a very good reference.

New Post
2/3/2013 5:23 AM

copied from the Prairie Belt sticky thread.

SLG wrote

FWIW, I have been using a Ute and a Prarie belt for the past week or so. Very comfortable, and very well designed. At first glance, I thought it was a little busy looking (I still like rotary telephones), but it is very easy to set up and actually use. I think the "one pack" idea is very nice, but different designs give different benefits, and if you have the ability to tailor your pack choice to the job, so much the better. If you don't always know in advance what you may need, then the Ute may be the perfect pack. I now prefer it to almost all my other packs, for almost all the jobs I need a pack to accomplish, and though it can't do everything, I think it really does most of what I need better than my other packs. I will have it out on a multi day hunt shortly, and will see how it does, but I expect it will continue to perform very well.

New Post
2/4/2013 12:54 PM

Evan, Scot

Have you an update on the foliage Ute's availability?  The only reason I am opting for foliage is for work, two-tone will raise too many eyebrows round here. I think it may have looked a little off when I threw my coyote Tara on there and made it triple-toned!

The reviews and the pictures look great, keep it up.

New Post
2/4/2013 1:19 PM

I think that it was stated in the original UTE thread that it *could* be used without the stays. Now I understand that it obviously would lose its weight bearing ability without the stays, but my concern was using it as a  piece of Carry-on luggage.  I try to avoid checking bags both for cost and personal preference when I can get away with it... do we think that without the stays, the pack  can be compressed to fit into the 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches given by most airlines? The stays (at 24 inches) could likely be removed and either placed in the pack or in my rolling "carry on" luggage in an "X" pattern...

THanks.

Mike

New Post
2/4/2013 1:34 PM

I haven't heard about foliage Ute, but it will be the next color to be produced. I'm waiting a day or two to really dig into what February production looks like and get that kind of information.

I do think the Ute without stays would fit into the airline's criteria. I think there is also possibility that a Ute with 22" stays in it might even be viable.

New Post
2/5/2013 9:00 AM

Received my Ute yesterday evening. To the poster who brought up the stays not fitting was not embelishing at all. It took me a solid hour of brute strength and cursing like a sailor to get those buggers all the way in. My hands are a mess today and my finger tips are still numb.

With that said, once the stays are in, it is a sweet pack. I loaded mine up to 40lbs and it rides great. The lumbar section and gen 2 harness make for a very comfortable yet athletic ride. I feel very mobile when wearing the pack rather then cumbersome like most other packs I've worn.

Prairie belt is very unique. I need to get use to the osprey style design a bit but it makes for a very stable and comfy ride. So far zero hot spots anywhere on the hip, even with water canteens loaded up. During the prairie belt video Evan shot, there is a part where he addresses this and I was nodding to myself how all the pack belts I've used create a pain in the hips that just drain me at the end of the day.

I'm going to hit the hills today to see how it preforms for the day, but so far so good

New Post
2/5/2013 11:13 AM

I just had a long conversation with First Spear about the stay channel width problem. On the production sample they sent me that I've been using for a couple months now and on the production sample they have there, the bartacks are on the outer edge like they should be. On the sample they sent me, the stays went in plenty easily. However, on the production version I sent back to them as an assembly sample, it was easy to see where the bartacks drifted into the stay channel. I have no idea how many of the ones that have already been sent to customers suffer from this problem.

First Spear is working on the best way to make sure that all of production has easy access stay channels. One thing we talked about was going to 2" wide webbing on the stay channels. That was something I considered during design but abandoned because I'd lose the two tabs that allow you to put in more traditional 2 piece shoulder straps, or rig our harness with two straps if you want. It is obviously possible to do the bartacks with 1.5" webbing in such a way that the stays go in easily because the pack I have is that way. Either way, this will be fixed going forward.

In the meantime, I'm going to be putting the stays in myself on all the Utes we send out starting today. That should have the stay channels stretched out enough for easy removal and shaping by the time it gets to the customer in the mail. Sorry for the difficulty, those of you who have Utes with narrow stay channels. The good news is that once you have the stays shaped and installed, this is a non-issue.

New Post
2/5/2013 12:48 PM

I just finished installing stays in a Ute going out the door today. MUCH harder than it should be. As I said before, that will be fixed. However, it took me less than five minutes for the pair using this method -- I drove the stays in with a rubber mallet until they were seated a quarter inch into the very top pinch point. Had to use a little finesse to get the angle of the stay correct as it went around the middle pinch point and as it seated in the top pinch point.  Then I rested the exposed stay bottom on a firm surface, oriented vertically, grabbed a handful of pack in each hand and bore down with all my weight to set the stay the rest of the way into the channel. For those of you who have too-tight stay channels (which I'm starting to think may be all of the ones that have gone out so far), this method should get those stays in there with a minimum of hassle. Remember to fit them to yourself first. I should have the stay fitting video up later today. When I do, I'll post on this thread.

New Post
2/5/2013 7:06 PM

Evan,

Thanks for installing them. They should come out much easier for adjusting.

Ed

http://www.edtsbackcountry.com/ | sig added by EH. go check out Ed's stuff!

New Post
2/5/2013 7:20 PM

Mine went in without too much bother, admittedly there's maybe a quarter inch more they could go in ideally but I'm lazy and the lumbar pad closed up on the  Prarie fine - I'm sure they'll work their way to where they want to be eventually.

Liking this pack a whole lot, can see a lot of thought went into it and the wait was worth it.  The shoulder movement/freedom that this system allows is in a class of it's own. Thanks guys for a great bit of kit.

New Post
2/6/2013 10:14 AM

Stay bending and backpack adjustment video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IDVv1NI_k

New Post
2/6/2013 12:08 PM

One thing Evan didn't mention in the video is that if you are used to wearing an internal that doesn't have the right stay bend when you wear one that does at first you will feel like it has to much bend into your lumbar area. Very quickly though you will get used to it and anything else will feel sloppy. Or at least that is my experience.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/7/2013 1:33 PM

Received my pack on Tuesday and wanted to share a few of my impressions. First the materials and feel of the build are top notch... The use of the hypalon is pretty slick and really reinforces alot of the tension points pulling everything together. There were a few things  I fiddled with like placement of g-hooks on the back but then I remembered it was builty with the tara and a compression panel in mind for the back of it.

My pack did have the previously stated problems seating my stays too as the bar tacking was very tight. Something else that I didn't realize initially is that the webbing is folded over on the top and I was snagging on the "dog ear" making it even more difficult... once I made sure I wasn't snagged, the rubber mallet and some man hands and body weight was able to get the stays where they needed to be. My assumption is that once they're there for a while it will stretch out a bit and "pocket" for the stays.

I thought I might have to bend the stays for fit, as I've got a thick back, but it seems like it fits just great with the factory bend. I placed about 40lbs of chains in the bag and proceeded to cinch everything down. Love the prairie belt and the tightening system even better than the power pull... I've had that slip but this feels like once its cinched its locked in and doesn't need to be loosened and re-sized every time... As I don't have a Tara, the suspensions system was a treat for me, though it feels unusual but comfortable. It rides like an old school Y harness, and it does a good job of distributing the weight to my hips, not just my lower back.  Its definitely a different feel though, as it doesn't feel like I'm even attached to the top of the pack... the freedom of movement in my arms is unmatched in anything else ive worn and there is great ventilation between the pack and my back. Its snug but it kind of just floats back there unless you crank the lifter straps but I think (?) that defeats the purpose.

Its a different feeling as I'm accustomed to the big heavy pack that's cranked down until its a part of your... this distributes the weight nicely on the hips with really no appreciable weight on my shoulders. Once more, because of how I usually wear my packs (like they're a part of me) its an unusually comfortable feeling but I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it soon... thanks again for a nicely made product and  for the answers to questions.

One question I did have was regarding the webbing that connects the front of the harness to the pack and are used to tighten it down... any reason these aren't "dog eared" and tacked on the ends? Every other end was I believe?

New Post
2/7/2013 1:51 PM

Its snug but it kind of just floats back there unless you crank the lifter straps but I think (?) that defeats the purpose.

Not necessarily. With stays that are meant to flex, you can bring that load in pretty closely without feeling like you're on a back board. Also, if you want that totally locked in feel, nothing wrong with that. Play with it and see what is most comfortable. I run different levels of tension for different activities.

One question I did have was regarding the webbing that connects the front of the harness to the pack and are used to tighten it down... any reason these aren't "dog eared" and tacked on the ends? Every other end was I believe?

Doggone it, I thought I caught all of those and swapped them out! I'll send you a finished pair. If I missed unfinished webbing ends on anyone else's pack, just email info@hillpeoplegear.com and we'll get a finished pair in the mail.

New Post
2/8/2013 9:05 AM

No, that wasn't a dig at the way it felt... probably the most comfortable internal frame I've worn and thats why it feels "funny". I can see how this could be a favorite for a climber or hunter, as the freedom of motion your arms have is extreme! I like it, I just have to remind myself that I'm wearing a pack!

I use a Kelty internal frame for day stuff, and while it has "lifter straps" I wouldn't call it a suspension system... feels like a back pack.

forumPoster is not the actual poster. If you are the actual poster, please make another quick post claiming this post. Sorry, too much moderator overhead to change the attribution on this post.

New Post
2/8/2013 3:19 PM

Just took my Ute out of the box, pulled the stays and flattened them to mach my back. It took a coupl taps with the rubber mallet to get them past a couple of the bar tacks but over all took maybe 10 minutes to remove and bend the stays, re-intsall the stays and attach the Praire belt.

Wow, I am really impressed. The fit is excellent. I believe the Praire belt  is heads and shoulders above any other pack waist belt. My only concern would be that I have the smallest belt and I only have about two fingers of belt left on each side until it can't be tightened anymore. Perfect for me but might not tighten enough for a skinny guy.

I am sure Evan is likely planning a smaller belt in the future but wanted to mention this in case that not the plan.

No time right now to load it but it will go for a nice walk tomorrow loaded up.

Supurb pack guys!

http://www.edtsbackcountry.com/ | sig added by EH. go check out Ed's stuff!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack