Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
4/9/2013 5:23 PM

Thanks scot. Regarding the harness, what, besides its appearance,  makes it different from the others on the market in terms of function?

New Post
4/10/2013 11:05 AM

Have you watched the youtube videos on the Ute? It does a pretty good job of discussing the harness and what sets it apart. That being said the harness is designed more as a yolk in that instead of two separate straps it is a single flared "u" shape. What that does is allows a larger interface with your shoulders and an ergonomic curve to clear your arm swing. It is also wider so that any weight on your shoulders is spread and instead of two lines across your shoulders you end up with well, a yolk.  If you have shoulder problems or back issues which cause your shoulders to be different heights then it might not work for you. Otherwise most folks find it more comfortable. Here is one guys take:

http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/packs/hill-people-gear-tarahumara/

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/10/2013 8:29 PM

Yes Ive watched the videos. Your answer was a great companion to that info as well. Thanks for the explanation! 

New Post
4/13/2013 9:54 PM

Are there any attachment points for gear inside the ute?

New Post
4/14/2013 9:22 AM

There is pals on the bottom of the lid and three hang loops at the back top.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/14/2013 9:13 PM

I'm planning on ordering a praire belt soon.  If I decide to get the UTE later on can I purchase it without the belt at a cheaper price since I'll already have one?  If so how much?

New Post
4/16/2013 9:27 PM

[QUOTE]janas339 wrote

I'm planning on ordering a praire belt soon.  If I decide to get the UTE later on can I purchase it without the belt at a cheaper price since I'll already have one?  If so how much?

[/QUOTE

]I know that it is currently being sold ad a package deal but I've been wondering the same thing.

New Post
4/17/2013 11:50 AM

This had us in a quandary, which is why we have take a bit of time to answer it. The Ute is designed to be worn with a belt, and unless it is very lightly loaded we feel it should be used with a belt.  However, we are aware that we have customers that will already have the belt when they get around to ordering a Ute, and we want to meet their needs as well. So we will sell the Ute without the belt, but be aware that you will end up paying more ala carte as it were than altogether.  It will also be considered a special order, which you will have to do via an email to info@hillpeoplegear.com and not as something that will be available online. The price for the Ute sans belt is 350.00.

New Post
4/21/2013 6:21 PM

One of the earlier posts mentioned how the harness on the Ute may not be for individuals with shoulders that are not  "square" (my paraphrase).  When I tried one of the other leading brands, I had to adjust one lower than the other. For this reason, will the harness of the Ute be uncomfortable to me?

New Post
4/27/2013 12:12 PM

any predictions?

New Post
4/27/2013 2:29 PM

Thanks for checking back in. I knew there was a question somewhere that hadn't been answered, but I couldn't remember or find it.

When you have two shoulder straps, each of which is firmly anchored to a fairly inflexible stay, you would need them to be independently adjustable in some cases.

The Ute shoulder harness is anchored only in the center, allowing a fair amount of articulation either due to movement or due to differently sized shoulders. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems. Wouldn't know for sure without a test though.

Did a fair amount of off-trail this week with and without snowshoes. I really like this pack!

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/28/2013 11:09 AM

My right shoulder is a bit higher than my left due to back problems(swollen on one side pushes your shoulder up) and its worse when I shoot a lot of archery. The HPG harness is not going to compensate to it like a normal set of "shoulder straps". That said its really not that big of a deal. It will feel weird and annoying for a while but you will get used to it. Your going to have to play around with the tension on both the harness straps and the lifter straps to get it right. Both my harness straps and lifters are a bit uneven to compensate for my shoulder, if I didnt due this my pack would be crooked. 

New Post
4/30/2013 11:23 AM

how to 

are there some pictures on how to dock a Tara pack on a Ute pack.

i was wondering how this is done.

WF

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
4/30/2013 2:43 PM

Jurgen, we need pictures. Until I get them, here's a description that holds true for the Tarahumara, Highlander, Tarapocket, and Palspocket:

• Unhook the g-hook end of all of the Ute straps
  • Set the Tarahumara down on the back of the Ute
  • For each of the tabs on the Tara that lines up with a tab on the Ute, you have 2 choices
    • 1) slip the tab on the Tara through the plastic loop on the Ute which ties it in and then put the Ute G-hook through the Tara tab locking it into place
    • 2) put the Ute G-hook through the Tara tab without putting the Tara tab through the plastic loop. This makes it free-floating

For attaching a Tarahumara pack, not every slot on the Ute will have a corresponding tab on the Tara. Enough of them are so it doesn't matter though. This video isn't a step by step for just putting a pocket on, but if you go to 7:30, it will show you the two different ways of attaching a tabbed pocket to the Ute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuh9ie5VhGw

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/1/2013 2:22 PM

im going to order a foliage ute when the foliage 27 belts come in, but can i ask - has the tight bartack issue been ammended on current stock, or will that be on the next production run? thanks

New Post
5/1/2013 2:23 PM

That was addressed after the first run, and on any Ute's sold after this shouldn't be an issue.

New Post
5/1/2013 3:42 PM

Any time frame when the Khaki-Ranger Utes will be be back in stock?  Acutally...strike that.  When I'm ready to purchase a Ute (hopefully within the next couple months), I will most likely get the Coyote one......unless you ever offered a Multicam one! (hint)

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/1/2013 4:52 PM

thanks Evan.

i knew i saw it somewhere but did not know where.

thanks again for making these great products

WF

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
5/2/2013 7:41 PM

should be May - probably late in the month though.

New Post
5/2/2013 10:18 PM

evanhill wrote

should be May - probably late in the month though.

One of that batch will be heading my way.  Looking forward to it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack