Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhich should I go with. Which should I go with.
Previous

Next
New Post
2/2/2013 6:48 AM

Some great idea's. earliest the mod using grommets and 550 cord. That is my biggest worry with gear in a pocket that opens all the way up. 

I am up in the air as to which kitbag to get. The original or recon. The main purpose will be using it as a survival kit. I carry my pistol on my hip or shoulder rig. But I want to have a dedicated bag that is easy to carry on my person. I fly a lot up here by private plane. Which has survival gear in it, but also travel by 4 wheeler. At the moment I carry the basic's in my pockets and kit in my pack. So I am trying to figure out what would be better between the 2. 

So any suggest's are welcome. And taikuu. 

New Post
2/2/2013 10:04 AM

Based on your stated use, I don't see how you could go wrong with the Recon.  Get it and don't look back.

New Post
2/2/2013 11:46 AM

My opinion is that the original kit bag is the one to have if you are only going to have one. It provides the most versatility, in that it has the room for extra stuff if you want it or you can run it lighter.  The recon is a good bag, especially if you like to do some molle configuration, but that means it is less low profile than the original.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/2/2013 12:53 PM

Scott, perhaps I am wrong, but I thought the Recon had same capacity as the original plus the addition of the molle?   I recommended the Recon based on that assumption and the fact that the OP didn't specifically require a low pro design.

New Post
2/2/2013 12:55 PM

The Recon has the same capacity as the Runners not the Original. They are both, Runners and Recon, missing the middle pocket and have just the front zip pocket and the rear pistol pocket, while the original also has the middle pocket. With the molle you can certainly get to the same capacity, but you will have to add pockets to the front.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/2/2013 1:03 PM

Nope, Recon is a Runners with PALS. The Kit bag is the OG big daddy. I now recommend a Runners to anyone that asks. I have come to dislike the original, its just too big, saggy and gets in the way of your view. Not that its a great bag I just have found the size I like. The Runners is easier on my back because its lighter and I cannot put as much stuff in it. Its also easier and faster to draw from. The Runners is much better for skiing, mountain biking, climbing and of coarse running. Going from a Kit bag to a Runners was like going from a Koala to a Kit bag, I just like my chest packs to be low profile.

I can't imagine how many emails Evan gets a week asking the difference between the different Kit bags.

New Post
2/2/2013 1:09 PM

Thanks Scott.  That clarifies things.  You too WEG.

New Post
2/2/2013 3:42 PM

It is a very common question that we field, and I pretty much always give the same advice. If you have issues with filling every iota of space available to you go with the smaller bag whether it is a kit bag or the tara/highlander, but if you only carry what you need then the flexability of extra space is pretty nice. I don't know how many times I have temporarily put something in my kit bag that doesn't live in there, but I was using and wanted handy. I will say as I have used the kit bag more I find myself paring down what is in there and trying more compact/lighter variations, but I do the same with my regular pack and all the different "kits" within it.

WEG I am interested, have you put it on a shot to timer or some other way to measure the time or does it just seem faster? I haven't noticed a time difference, but I also haven't put it to any kind of test. I have noticed that snubby is a hair slower because the corner is more angular and less rounded due to the size, but I haven't worked with a snubby enough to see if that is a technique issue on my part or just is what it is.

New Post
2/21/2013 12:22 PM

Well I picked up a kit bag from JSonn, just waiting for it to get here. But I think I am going to order a recon also. 

New Post
2/25/2013 2:43 PM

Well I got the kit bag. But it didn't have the gridlocks or lifter straps with it. Is it possible to get a set of grimlocs / straps for this? 

New Post
2/25/2013 2:46 PM

Foxfire wrote

Well I got the kit bag. But it didn't have the gridlocks or lifter straps with it. Is it possible to get a set of grimlocs / straps for this? 

The one you got  from JSon didn't have the grimlocks and lifters, or the recon you ordered from us? If it is the later, shoot an email to info at hillpeoplegear.com and we will get some out to you. If it is the former, we sell lifters, and should also be able to sort you out on grimlocks. Send an email to us at info at hillpeoplegear.com for a quote on grimlocks and lifters. Grimlocks will be subject to stock on hand limits.

New Post
2/25/2013 7:20 PM

I will send you a email. He didn't include them. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhich should I go with. Which should I go with.