Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHighlander and Tara with Prairie beltHighlander and Tara with Prairie belt
Previous

Next
New Post
3/26/2013 4:28 PM

So I like to fiddle around with packs and different setups. This is what I have come up with for the Highlander and Tara. The Highlander with PB is a good setup and will work fine if you have a longer torso. What I mean by that is you adjust the torso length by the placement of the PB. I have a longer torso and I have the belt moved up a ways on the Highlander so it fits right. If your short or have a short torso you will have to move the belt too far up the pack and you will have too much hanging over your butt. For me this setup works well and is very comfortable with loads up around 20-25 pounds. I really don't carry much more than 15 lbs on a day hike unless I am backcountry skiing. I have not added a frame sheet yet though. I think with a frame sheet this pack would be pretty darn awesome and might work for summer overnights or maybe two nighters. I have also carried the Highlander stand alone with just a shoulder harness and its not bad at all either.

Tara and PB was my next fiddle around. Let me start by saying I see no point at all putting a PB on a Tara pack. Its a great little day pack with the shoulder harness and overloading it to the point when you need to add a waist belt is pointless. Also in PB only lumbar mode it works okay but there are much better options out there in lumbar packs. That said if you already have this gear you might as well fiddle with it.

The Tara lumbar pack actually works pretty good if you must run a lumbar pack for say something like mt biking. Even though the Tara is fine for mt biking it sometimes it creeps up into your neck. I did some walking around with it and it feel nice as your back get some more cool air. Upper delta straps are a must and it would be nice if there was one more tab loop in between the two upper ones for optimal placement. Now if you put a frame sheet in the Tara for this setup I think it would work out very nice. I will do that to both the Tara lumbar pack and Highlander/PB sometime soon and post back here on this thread.

Setups for both of these are pretty easy, probably lots of different ways to do it also. For how I did it all you need is some webbing, G hooks, slick clips and quick connect ladder locks. If anyone has any questions on how to please ask.

New Post
3/26/2013 4:50 PM

Great pictures thanks. I am surprised with how small that tara looks compared to everything else.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/26/2013 5:29 PM

WEG wrote

So I like to fiddle around with packs and different setups. This is what I have come up with for the Highlander and Tara. The Highlander with PB is a good setup and will work fine if you have a longer torso. What I mean by that is you adjust the torso length by the placement of the PB. I have a longer torso and I have the belt moved up a ways on the Highlander so it fits right. If your short or have a short torso you will have to move the belt too far up the pack and you will have too much hanging over your butt. For me this setup works well and is very comfortable with loads up around 20-25 pounds. I really don't carry much more than 15 lbs on a day hike unless I am backcountry skiing. I have not added a frame sheet yet though. I think with a frame sheet this pack would be pretty darn awesome and might work for summer overnights or maybe two nighters. I have also carried the Highlander stand alone with just a shoulder harness and its not bad at all either.

Tara and PB was my next fiddle around. Let me start by saying I see no point at all putting a PB on a Tara pack. Its a great little day pack with the shoulder harness and overloading it to the point when you need to add a waist belt is pointless. Also in PB only lumbar mode it works okay but there are much better options out there in lumbar packs. That said if you already have this gear you might as well fiddle with it.

The Tara lumbar pack actually works pretty good if you must run a lumbar pack for say something like mt biking. Even though the Tara is fine for mt biking it sometimes it creeps up into your neck. I did some walking around with it and it feel nice as your back get some more cool air. Upper delta straps are a must and it would be nice if there was one more tab loop in between the two upper ones for optimal placement. Now if you put a frame sheet in the Tara for this setup I think it would work out very nice. I will do that to both the Tara lumbar pack and Highlander/PB sometime soon and post back here on this thread.

Setups for both of these are pretty easy, probably lots of different ways to do it also. For how I did it all you need is some webbing, G hooks, slick clips and quick connect ladder locks. If anyone has any questions on how to please ask.

Thanks for the write up and your .02, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you regarding it being pointless to use the Tara in conjunction with the Prairie Belt.  A good number of load carriage systems I've used over the years incorporated a small patrol pack.  I certainly will not be overloading the Tara, but I do like the idea of having it set up as a single unit.  At the end of the day it is up to the individual to determine what is feasible or not with using the Tara and PB together.  Once my PB gets in, I'll be able to run it attached or unattached, based on my own desires.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/28/2013 4:06 AM

Thanks very much mate. I'm debating the value in getting the PB, your pics & write up help.

New Post
12/19/2013 4:00 PM

I am literally  about to pull the trigger on the PB in Foliage for my Highlander and was going to run the same set up as above. I currently has the Blackhawk frame sheet with one stay in it but upgraded  to the one with the two stay after  hike with  good amount of stuff on an incline. I chopped up the large Blackhawk sheet to fit the highlander. I have had a good amount of stuff in the highlander attached to the runners harness and very stable even at a slight jog just but feel the PB would give me a more stable platform along with attachments options. SO TO THE QUESTION:

I am 5'7 3/4" and currently the Highlander rides maybe 1-2 inches below my waist line do you guys think if I add the PB it will ride lower? ( see pix)  

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/7598/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Hope to get some feed back soon so I can pull the trigger before by tomorrow.

New Post
12/19/2013 4:33 PM

IXOYE - with the Highlander, you'll be able to set the PB at whatever height you want relative to the harness. The attachments go from the belt to whichever tabs on the Highlander you choose. Play with it until you get the feel you want.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/19/2013 4:36 PM

I don't think it will ride lower.  I think if you dock your Highlander to the PB, with the bottom section of the Highlander against the PB, it should ride at, or just above, your waistline, depending on where you usually like to have a pack hip belt ride.  I've used my PB with my Tara as a belt and suspenders type set-up quite a bit in my job, and it carries very nice like that, IMO.  There's a write up with pics on that under the HPG section of the forum.  I think the PB on your Highlander will give you lots of good options and additional load carrying comfort.  The best part is that it can be docked and undocked pretty easily, so more versatility, too.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/5620/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/19/2013 5:25 PM

THANKS ALL just placed my order.

New Post
12/30/2013 10:57 AM

okay belt is in, amazing quality fast shipping,  now trying to mount it?  Do the lower straps of the shoulder harness have to be attached to the belt? I am invisioning highlander with shoulder harness and one of the attachement points to the belt right above the last shoulder harness tab so as to not alter the shoulder harness or runners harness set up, but more of just adding the belt to current set up. Thoughts, detailed pix would be awesome. Thoughts on what attachment way would be the best for more weight?  I will keep playing with set it sonce I have the next couple days off. 

New Post
12/30/2013 6:20 PM

Here are a couple of pictures that line out attaching a Prairie Belt to a Highlander. I see how this would be a very nice setup with a framesheet of some kind.

Every Prairie Belt is supposed to come with 4 of those repair Ladderlocs. That's the slotted buckles that you see the G-hook straps laced into. The only reason they come with the PB is for people wanting to do something like this on the Highlander, Tarahumara, or perhaps another manufacturer's pack. Initially, the hardware manifest was off and not all of the PBs got those buckles. We didn't worry too much about it because it was never listed as part of the product description and very few people would need them anyway. Things have been straightened out for months now and all PBs should have them. If you didn't get those buckles or didn't get 4 of them and need them for a setup, send an email to info@hillpeoplegear.com and we'll send you the buckles.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/8/2014 10:14 AM

The hardware came in (thanks HPG !!!!), set this up yesterday night while all the kids pawed at me Daddy what is that, daddy can I try it on.

Over all works like I want it to just have to roll up all the spare straps hanging off of me.  So prairie belt , Condor dump pouches on each side of the belt, chopped Blackhawk two stay inert panel cut to fit the highlander, runner harness and runners kit bag, I will post pix this week.

Ideally this will have the regular harness attached when I get a kit bag and will be also adding the G1 holders on each side, this will be my day hiking/one or two night set up.

New Post
1/10/2014 2:39 PM

Just posted a few pix of the set up, thanks again all for the info and help.

New Post
1/10/2014 4:28 PM

IXOYE wrote

Just posted a few pix of the set up, thanks again all for the info and help.

Looks sweet man, I will set mine up tonight. I have the Coyote so folks can see it with that color. I jsut dont have the runner bag and harness but I have the Prarie belt and Highlander. I have a Kryptek Highlander Tara coming from Austraila may take a few weeks for that to get here though.

I found an older 2 stay framesheet from a backpack that I cut down to fit the Highlander.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHighlander and Tara with Prairie beltHighlander and Tara with Prairie belt