Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie Belt docked to TarahumaraPrairie Belt docked to Tarahumara
Previous

Next
New Post
3/30/2013 2:01 PM

Evan & Scot,

My Prairie Belt came in yesterday....thanks much!  I immediately set to rigging it up to my Tara and adding the pouches I want to carry on it.  As for docking it to the Tarahumara, it worked out exactly like I wanted it to.  Because the Tara is a short pack, especially for guys with a long torso like me, I set it up by attaching two Grimlocks to the bottom tabs of the Tara, and then joined those to the top two tabs at the back of the PB.  I also adjusted the top straps where the Tara attaches to the shoulder harness, allowing the Tara to occupy the space between at a comfortable spot.  Finally, I added the stabilizer straps with the G-hooks to the belt.  The delta straps do their job nicely.  At first, I thought about just leaving the lower straps off, as that they seemed like they may just be redundant.  I decided to keep them on because they actually seem to tie everything together well, so they'll remain attached for now.  I found that running the Mountain Serape (in an Outdoor Research coyote brown 10 liter compression sack) attached to the back of the belt with the Tara resting on top of it felt like it was pushing down too much.  To solve this, I simply attached the MS to the bottom of the Tara.  This still leaves me the option of a little real estate at the back of the belt and I can always attach the Serape directly to the belt for short trips sans Tara.  The belt detaches from the Tara quickly and easily.  I attached the bottom end of the shoulder straps to the belt near the front.  The whole set up feels very stable and comfortable.  With the Kit Bag in front and docked to the Tara, the whole rig rides great.  The Tara docked to the Prairie Belt feels almost vest-like, similar to some of the load carrying systems I used while active duty, before we went everywhere with plate carriers and attached chest rigs.  Unquestionably, I feel like I could run several miles with this set up, as long as it isn't too loaded down.  Hill Brothers....you guys continue to design and offer some outstanding versatile, ultra-functional kit!

Check the attached pics!

Best Regards,

Ken

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/30/2013 4:03 PM

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/1/2013 4:09 AM

Very cool pics & set up mate. Thanks for sharing.

New Post
4/1/2013 7:16 AM

Benny wrote

Very cool pics & set up mate. Thanks for sharing.

No worries!  Hope it helps with your own set up.

Cheers!

New Post
4/1/2013 11:37 AM

Nice looking setup. One thing I was curious about was mounting the tara low with the serape above it off the shoulder harness. The idea being that more of the tara weight would be supported by the belt and less by the shoulders. However, it will probably put to much weight up high. My though was a single center strap off the center buckle.  The other option of course is to put the serape on the back of the tara, but again not sure if that won't push things out to far.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/1/2013 3:09 PM

That might work too, Scot.....I may experiment with that by remounting the Tara all the way down on the PB and I'll find an appropriate strap to lash the Serape up top at the center.  Probably use the center tab up top and the haul loop on the Tara as points of connection.  It may ride fine there.  More to follow once I get a chance to give it a try.  I am going out for a couple days into the Blue Ridge Mountains to work on some training areas for bush craft skills I plan to teach during an upcoming class.  I'll probably have a chance to reconfigure it while out there.  Plus...a good test for the current set up.  I'll definitely be using the MS as a light weight sleeping bag along with a Wild Things primaloft jacket/pants combo, along with a Klymit X-frame Recon XL pad.  Also plan to test out the new stainless canteen / cup / cookstove combo from Canteenshop.com.

New Post
4/2/2013 11:15 AM

very cool! Makes me want to play with a similar setup. Thanks for fighting through the photo thing. It's your world, but the sternum strap typically goes 1-2" below your collarbone. Raising your sternum strap to that height might be more comfortable for you. I also carry my KB up at that height too.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/2/2013 3:29 PM

evanhill wrote

very cool! Makes me want to play with a similar setup. Thanks for fighting through the photo thing. It's your world, but the sternum strap typically goes 1-2" below your collarbone. Raising your sternum strap to that height might be more comfortable for you. I also carry my KB up at that height too.

Yeah....I'm just used to having the sterum strap at that level....lots of years under rucksacks.  I may give it a try up higher.  I kind of like my Kit Bag at the height pictured as that it rides similar to chest rigs I've worn when I was active duty, so it "feels right" there and allows me a pretty quick draw.  In preparation for an overnight backcountry trip starting tomorrow, I decided to see if I could piggyback the Tara onto my Wild Things Tactical Andinista pack.  It worked out pretty nice and rides well.  I also detached the Prairie Belt and routed it onto the Andinista....it also fits pretty well (took a little doing to get the PB through the original hipbelt channel).  I'm pretty happy about that, because this full-on set up will give me a fairly complete package for longer trips.  I'll be able to carry a big load in using the Andinista with Tara lashed on, then reconfigure the PB onto the Tara fairly easily and use that for side trips out of a base camp.  I modified the backpanel of the Andinista shortly after I bought it a couple years ago by adding the framesheet and stays from an old Dana Designs Astralplane.  The framesheet fits into the back panel of the Andinista with a wee bit of trimming.  This allows the Andinista to handle bigger loads.  Now that I've rigged the Tara and Prairie Belt to it, it carries alot like my old Lowe Vector mountain ruck (issued to SF back in the 80's / early 90's) and modular like a British bergen ruck.

New Post
4/16/2013 4:58 PM

scothill wrote

Nice looking setup. One thing I was curious about was mounting the tara low with the serape above it off the shoulder harness. The idea being that more of the tara weight would be supported by the belt and less by the shoulders. However, it will probably put to much weight up high. My though was a single center strap off the center buckle.  The other option of course is to put the serape on the back of the tara, but again not sure if that won't push things out to far.

Scot, 

I remounted the Tara like you describe above and adjusted the shoulder harness to fit properly.  It feels really good like that.  Yes, I give up the real estate at the back of the Prairie Belt, but the Tara rides nice there.  The Serape still fits at the bottom, lashed to the Tarahumara.  Haven't yet tried to strap it in up above the Tara yet, but will soon.  Great idea!  Thanks for the tip.

Ken

New Post
4/16/2013 5:08 PM

Cool, I just started rocking my final production sample Lozi or you would have me very tempted to switch over for awhile.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/17/2014 4:04 PM

I realize this is an older post, but a quick question.. On the war belt, what specific items do you carry in the pouches? The reason I ask is that I was giving thought to weight, and if you should carry heavier items in the pack, leaving lightweight items for the belt. Curious as to whether or not fatigue has become an issue in practical application, if the belt pouches were holding heavier items. Thanks, MS

New Post
1/17/2014 4:18 PM

Thanks for dropping by our forum. Anybody who met his wife at the Big Loop Rodeo (if I remember the story correctly) is legit here!

The heaviest I've gone on a Prairie Belt / Pack combo was dual 1 quart canteens mounted on the PB at 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock. That was with an Umlindi sized pack and it actually helped with settling the hipbelt and fighting pack slide by getting a fair amount of weight on the front half of the body. I've since been mounting them at 4 and 8 with pistol mag pouches and equivalent weight at 2 and 10. It doesn't carry as well as having the heavier items further forward, but it gets them more out of my way and the trade off has been worth it.

I think the bottom line is that weight carries better on the belt than in the pack because it is closer to your center of gravity.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/19/2014 7:42 PM

Damn sexy setup Alpendrms! What pouches are on the belt?  

New Post
1/26/2014 4:36 PM

Evan,

Thanks for the reply, and yep, you recall right. Big Loop was where we met and its been an adventure from there!

I know from carrying a prairie belt type rig with lots of mags, radio, blowout kit, etc while working, that proper distribution plays a big part to all day comfort. That's why I was curious about others observations/experiences. The easy access to H20 while afield makes sense. I'm going to repurpose my rig into an outdoors belt, and figure out what is essential, vs what is rarely used and simply added weight.

Cheers!

New Post
1/26/2014 6:04 PM

Middian wrote

Damn sexy setup Alpendrms! What pouches are on the belt?  

Thanks!  Those are Spec-Ops brand General Purpose pouches.  

Spec Ops General Purpose Pouch 100780111, 100780101 ...

New Post
2/10/2014 10:05 AM

Hello all didn’t want to start as new thread so decide to bum a ride on someone else’s thread. I have learned a lot from not only this thread but from most of the threads here, thanks. What I have read and seen have inspired me to rig up a little 2-3 night 3 seasons set up. The main bag is a highlander; in the picture I loaded to see what I could fit in it. It contains three days of dehydrated food for two, my canister stove along with all the cooking items etc. Docked to the highlander is my Tara loaded with extra set of clothes, t-short, sweater, Pants undies and socks. The bags are docked to the prairie belt. On the prairie belt I have two water canteen holders and two condor dump pouches. One pouch has my water filer and spare room the other has my first aid/ medical kit. Not picture is the full size kit bag docked on the harness with lifter and I am using the stabilizing bungee shock cord to stabilize it instead of wearing the full h-hardness.  At the bottom is a a foliage GI issue compression bag I picked up at surplus along with one of the sleeping bag issued in that four piece sleeping system, I think it s the bag rated for zero degrees but for the prices I couldn’t say no. Also contains hammock, straps and rain tarp. I used the split bar adaptors that are used to attach items to the prairie belt along with 1 inch webbing to attach it to the bottom of the highlander. I have posted in another thread the highlander has the Blackhawk two stay insert panel cut down to fit along with the HPG harness and belt make this great to carry.

New Post
6/9/2014 9:39 AM

Here's some pics of how I've been running this setup. I just ran a piece of 3/8" OD tubing through the webbing loops and threaded p-cord through to hold it in place. It seems to work quite well and makes for a really comfortable day pack+ setup. I need to play with the shoulder strap height relative to the Tara a bit, seems like it's sitting higher than I want. Also, I'm curious on your feedback Alpen, it seems like the belt needs a little extra something in the lumbar area. I just feel like with the lack of padding there I have to cinch the PB pretty tight to feel like I'm really getting the load pulled into the hips, and keep the PB from sliding down.

photo 2014-05-25143301_zps95c62a6b.jpg photo 2014-05-30181210_zpsf439918e.jpg photo 2014-05-25143233_zps744d5909.jpg

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/9/2014 1:26 PM

That looks pretty squared away!  I'm going to try that tubing set-up with mine!  As for the padding deal with a Tara and PC combo, I've worked it two ways:  I've used a frame sheet and single stay out of an old Mountainsmith climbing pack in the slot pocket of the Tara and that helped, and I also used Scot's suggestion for mounting the Tara flush with the bottom edge of the PB, which also works and allows the Tara ride more like a lumbar pack.  You could also try adding some kind of pad to the center of the PB, but I'm not sure if that will help you or not.  I have a pretty long torso, so the Tara / PB combo feels pretty good for me as is, and reminds me of the old school belt and suspenders LBE set up I ran sometimes on active duty.   In fact, I'm running a set up like this right now as a warm weather rig during the Personnel Recovery course I'm teaching this week.  Hope that helps!

Ken

New Post
6/19/2014 12:26 AM

Looking closer at your photo's Alpen I noticed you have the shoulder straps anchored on the front part of the PB. Just curious what you feel the advantages/ dis-advantages are of running them up there. Still digging this setup. I got a couple OR compression dry sacks, the 10L fits the Serape perfectly! I'm playing around with pocket placement on the PB. Trying to find the best place to mount my tallboy ITS Medkit is the current game. I'm hessitant to mount it with the MALICE clips, probably need to suck it up and get some quick sticks.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
7/29/2014 6:48 PM

I was in a hurry before a bike trip several weeks ago and whipped this up. worked much better then I expected, the P-cord doesn't transfer any of the weight, that is done by the two webbing loops for mounting the compression straps, the P-cord just keeps the belt from escaping. it only works because of how stiff the back of the belt is. The tabs above the compression strap mounting point are perfect for ladderlock repair buckles and g-hook straps to suck the pack into your back, with light loads you wouldn't really need the shoulder harness.

I'm a wimp when it comes to weight on my shoulders so when I'm packing 80oz of water I really like the belt. I haven't used it much without the belt since I figured this out, I'd tried several arrangements before this but this is the first one that's worth mentioning. since I don't use the slot pocket much I'm almost debating sewing in a hypalon channel that I could just slide the P-belt through when I wanted it, sort of a streamlined 'lindi arrangement.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie Belt docked to TarahumaraPrairie Belt docked to Tarahumara