Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWeight ScalesWeight Scales
Previous

Next
New Post
10/26/2014 6:42 PM

Looking for a scale that ideally would function as a bow poundage scale and general weigh scale.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

New Post
10/27/2014 12:11 PM

I use a digital fish scale for weighing my pack/gear. I would assume you could measure draw weight with it as long as safety precautions were taken and it was designed to handle the maximum draw weight you were expecting. In my experience it has been accurate +/- 2oz.

New Post
10/27/2014 2:30 PM

We've got a postal scale in the shop that is very accurate. We've also got a handheld luggage scale that is surprisingly accurate. I'm not sure it's quite +/- 2oz accurate, but not too far off of that. I wouldn't want to do without either of them.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/27/2014 6:30 PM

Thank you both for the replies

Any brand names/models you care to share?

New Post
10/27/2014 11:30 PM

I use this little guy:

REI luggage scale

discontinued but I'm sure there is a new version.

You sure get funny looks at gun shows when you pull it out and start weighing rifles.

New Post
10/31/2014 1:58 PM

I use a cheap luggage scale for packs. Got it for under $10 at a discount store. Draw length is important for testing a bow, and I'm not sure the two functions (pack and bow) would be compatible.

New Post
4/5/2017 12:15 AM

I use the Etekcity body weight scale for almost 3 years and it is still in good condition. You can buy it on Amazon.

New Post
4/5/2017 9:36 AM

For measuring a bow's poundage, one of those spring scales you hang from a hook is essential.  That is also the best way to weigh a loaded pack.  A weight-conscious hiker also needs something that will weigh in ounces and fractions of an ounce for individual item comparison.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWeight ScalesWeight Scales