Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralNeck KnivesNeck Knives
Previous

Next
New Post
7/20/2017 8:22 PM

So I have never worn a knife around my neck mostly because I always considered doing that... Well, kinda retarded (I don't really like things around my neck).  I see a lot of well known experts wearing them, and quite a few guys I know and respect as outdoorsmen love them. 

So... What do y'all think of neck knives (here being defined as a knife worn around your neck)? Like 'em, hate 'em? Useful in some situations? A trend that'll fade?

- J

New Post
7/21/2017 5:41 AM

I don't like them when on the trail, nor in summer in general. But during winter, when I can conceal it below a hoodie or jacket (which more than conceal just holds it in place from swinging out when I bend over), I do like one. But it has to be light. Some people pass off cinder blocks as neck knives. The best one I've used is by Joe Calton. Only like 2oz for the whole package with still 3" of blade length and a useable handle.

New Post
7/21/2017 6:44 AM

I have 3 that were labeled as neck knives....a Bark River Bravo Necker 2, a Blind Horse Knives model, and a Wander Tactical Raptor.  I really don't use any of them as neck knives, I just like them for their dimensions.  I tried the Barkie a couple times as a necker, but just don't prefer it, so I have added a belt clip to the sheaths of both the Barkie and the Raptor.  I can belt carry them, or I can put them in my Kit Bag, due to their good size for carrying there.  The BHK is really a little patch knife.  The Barkie and the Raptor are just the right size to have them still be useful for most backcountry tasks....with the Raptor edging out the Barkie as a hard-use edged tool....it is quite strong and has a nice spine for things like batoning wood.  Too heavy as a neck knife, though, IMHO.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/21/2017 7:48 AM

I like the concept but have never put it to use. I think in the winter it makes sense, especially in deep snow and with a parka or WC on, it gives you easier access as opposed to a belt knife.

New Post
7/21/2017 7:55 AM

Traditional use of the neck knife concept (Inuit) as opposed to sheath knife on a belt over winter outer layers (Scandinavian Sami). Just food for thought.

New Post
7/21/2017 3:18 PM

Collin - that's a good thought. Most of my small knives that I'd even think of attempting it are in the 2-4oz range, and under a hoodie or jacket would work. I still don't see why I'd want to have it up there instead of on my belt, unless I was wading in a river (fishing - the time it makes the most sense to me).

Alp - I love smaller knives too! For whatever reason I prefer them when I'm doing most things around camp, unless I'm processing firewood. The Necker II I always thought looked like a great little knife, I just never got around to buying one... I bought a BRKT Kalahari Bushman a while ago, and it makes a great little skinner and pretty good whittler. Never really thought about wearing it around my neck, but I suppose it fits the dimensions.

Craig - I had no idea about that, that's pretty cool. In Nordic countries they seemed to have worn what I'll call an overbelt - a belt outside of the outermost layer, which would still allow pretty easy access to a knife, I'd think. (I say think because I can't remember the last time I was in a frigid sub-zero day where I was out in the woods. I think three year's ago it got down to -5-7 a few nights in a row, totally wrecked the roads with potholes ... but I definitely wasn't out and about in it...)

The thing I love most about neck knives is they're small enough to just about always be with you in some fashion. Pretty much regardless of the bag I carry, there's at least a little fixed blade in there, and I actually have some pullouts that a small fixed blade fits into. Really handy. Still not around my neck though... :/

New Post
7/21/2017 9:40 PM

I have one I bought from a friend who makes knives. I had wanted the Spyderco ARK but after checking it out decided against it. I can carry it in cooler weather under a hoodie. I've experimented running with it tucked behind my Kit Bag in warmer weather, the thought being it might be faster to get to than the pistol.

New Post
7/22/2017 7:49 PM

I've had two of the CRKT's, and a Tops mini bird n trout. I don't use a neck knife for normal carry because I have a hard time getting used to the weight around my neck. After a while you get used to it, but then I forget it's there and am usually half way through a chore with my pocket knife before I remember it. I always carry my Kershaw Blur for sacrificial tasks, so that tends to be my EDC. I love the TOPS for fishing, paired with a set of hemostats clamped to the lanyard, and love that setup. I do find it a little small for a lot of tasks and lacking a good grip.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralNeck KnivesNeck Knives