Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSeek Outside and Other Tipi Tents General InfoSeek Outside and Other Tipi Tents General Info
Previous

Next
New Post
7/27/2017 5:17 PM

Hey everybody,

I am currently looking into getting a tipi tent that I can use as a hot tent in the winter months. If anyone has any suggestions on which company to go with or why I should/ shouldn't go with a tipi tent I would appreciate the feedback.

My main concern is the ability to use stakes properly. My experience with UT and CO is very rocky.... literally. So I am not sure if a tipi tent would work very well in these kind of environments (not as many base camp locations). I am from Ohio though so my AO is typically going to be in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, East Coast Area. Any thoughts on stoves and how to use them (what wood to burn, splitting, etc,) is welcome too.

I am looking for a good 4 person/ 2 person with stove set up that is "light weight" for backpacking.

I truly hope that this thread generats some good discussion. Please post your thoughts below! Thanks in advance!

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." - John Muir

New Post
7/28/2017 4:18 AM

I have a Seek Outside-6 Tipi and an HPG Shepherd Stove and have used both in Colorado, as well as locations in the east coast.....never had any problems being able to stake the tipi down in either location.  The SO-6 is a great size for the number of people you have in mind, especially for winter time where folks will have bulkier winter gear.  The Shepherd Stove will burn any wood you want to put in it, but you wouldn't want to burn punky wood that's all rotten.  Coniferous wood will get going quick, but also burns faster and often throws more spark out of the stove pipe, so a spark arrestor (comes with the stove pipe) is needed, as with any wood that is throwing spark.  Deciduous hardwoods are better...longer burn time and more heat.  Try and stick to nice dense wood to yield longer burn times for you in winter.  A good load of long burning wood will last for hours in the stove, and just add a log now and again to keep it stoked, based on how cold it might be outside the tipi.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/28/2017 4:41 AM

In addition to Seek outside (Cimarron), the jimmy tarps Hudson and MLD super mid (they now have a stove jack option) should be on your list. Those would be 4 ish person size models. Mids are really versatile and the more tricks you learn and practice, the more of a swiss army shelter they become. For hard packed ground switching to Easton nail stakes or hardware gutter spikes can make things easier. Setting up guyline at the stake points and fully or partially tying to rocks. Going with smaller shelter sizes can also be a huge advantage as a 4 person mid has a big footprint. There is a recent review on rokslide that has some info that might be useful. http://www.rokslide.com/gear/sleep-systems/474-review-floorless-pyramid-shootout

New Post
7/28/2017 9:22 PM

Thank you both for the input on the SO tipi systems. I am really looking forward to picking one up and when I do, I will make sure to post my experiences on the forums (as long as I don't forget lol). God bless you guys.

Respectfully,

Steven "Rusty" King

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." - John Muir

New Post
7/30/2017 9:06 AM

I've got a love / hate relationship with tipi style floorless. Yes, they are very stake dependent and that can be a PITA to work with at times. On the other hand, I've never not been able to pitch one in the rockies and the space to weight ratio on them is outstanding. There is no point to getting an oval tipi style smaller than a 6 man. Sleeping people are roughly rectangular and below a 6 man, there's no good way to put those fixed rectangles into an oval. You need to go with some kind of rectangular footprint like the mids. In an oval, I think the 6 is the right size -- it's small enough to be backpackable but big enough to be very livable with 2 guys and a stove. Even 3 guys and a stove is OK. An 8 starts poaching into "do I really want to carry this thing on my back" territory. That being said, if your use case is more like 1 guy, sometimes 2 with or without a stove then even an oval 6 is too big to mess with carrying very far.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/30/2017 9:42 PM

Thanks again for the detailed response! That is one of the things I really appreciate about you guys. After reading all of these different perspectives on Tipi tents and watching a ton of youtube videos on the topic I have came to the conclusion that more room is better than not enough room. So if I am planning on having 2-3 people with a stove, gear, fire wood, my dog, etc. it seems that the better idea would be to go with something like an 8 man tipi. I have looked at the weight differences and there isn't that much from a 6 to an 8 man tipi. I currently do not have the funds for either but I am saving. I have some time before winter hits here in OH so I am not too worried yet!

My next two questions would be:

When will the HPG stove be back in stock? Is there an option to buy a roll up pipe with the stove? If so, I have not seen that option on the website. I apologize if  the answers to my questions are on the forums or the website. If so I have just not been able to locate them. 

New Post
8/7/2017 8:46 AM

Yes, we do sell roll up stovepipes when we have stoves in stock. As to stove availability -- we don't have a timeline because we're in the middle of getting set up with a new manufacturer. And, you'd want a large for an 8 man and right now we're working on getting the medium (or are we calling it small?) titanium one to market.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSeek Outside and Other Tipi Tents General InfoSeek Outside and Other Tipi Tents General Info