Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKen-Ranger Canteen UpdatesKen-Ranger Canteen Updates
Previous

Next
New Post
8/9/2017 7:22 PM

Bookmarking for updates....

New Post
9/28/2017 1:56 PM

X2

New Post
9/29/2017 4:36 AM

Just pinged my buddy again.  Hopefully we'll get a positive reply regarding production and availability soon.  He travels a lot (like me) with involvement in other jobs / missions.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/29/2017 8:05 AM

Just got word from my buddy that the patent was just issued yesterday, and he is still waiting for the 1st batch of USA-made canteens.  The manufacturer is behind.  No further info at this time, but I will ensure to get the word out as soon as I hear more.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/2/2017 11:52 AM

Thanks for the update, Ken.

New Post
10/4/2017 2:02 AM

x2, good to know it's coming along. thx.

New Post
10/10/2017 12:30 PM

+1 on this. Keep us updated - I'm down for a few when they come out.

New Post
11/9/2017 8:21 AM

I'm interested in 2 also.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

New Post
11/9/2017 11:19 AM

Just pinged my buddy for an update.  Bad news...he said the US company that he had his hopes pinned on flaked out  on him.  He's actually pretty frustrated with the whole thing, as that he has gotten screwed over more than a couple times now with manufacturers not coming through for him.  If I hear anything better any time soon, I will sure let you all know.

EDIT: He does own the patent for the canteen design, and has the financial backing.....so those are good things.  The only thing he is trying to work through is finding a reliable US manufacturer...and that part has been a real thorn in his side for quite a while now.

New Post
11/9/2017 3:53 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Just pinged my buddy for an update.  Bad news...he said the US company that he had his hopes pinned on flaked out  on him.  He's actually pretty frustrated with the whole thing, as that he has gotten screwed over more than a couple times now with manufacturers not coming through for him.  If I hear anything better any time soon, I will sure let you all know.

EDIT: He does own the patent for the canteen design, and has the financial backing.....so those are good things.  The only thing he is trying to work through is finding a reliable US manufacturer...and that part has been a real thorn in his side for quite a while now.

Thank you for the update Ken. I am definitely down for at least 5.

New Post
11/9/2017 5:11 PM

@alpendrms - without wanting to state the bleeding obvious, has he tried the various mfrs of the USGI green plastic 1 ltr canteens, or is that not realistic?

New Post
11/10/2017 7:19 AM

I have not asked him that, but I bet that he has looked into it.  I think there are several actual manufacturers of the USGI canteen.

EDIT: Talked to my buddy....yes, he contacted them, but they basically blew him off.  Probably because he has a new design and owns the patent on it.

New Post
11/10/2017 12:26 PM

I thought that might be the case. The last time I looked into getting something made in injection-moulded plastic, the main hurdle was getting the moulds made ($$$$$$$$) and that was appr. 25 years ago.

New Post
11/11/2017 5:15 AM

Actually, he has the molds.  So that big hurdle is behind him..it’s getting a US manufacturer to commit to producing them in large quantities at a facility.  

New Post
11/14/2017 7:12 AM

Just a thought, Ken. I'm a fan of Mikhail Merkurieff (Emberlit.com) and supported his Kickstarters for the Fire Ant stove, Sprongs, and Cabuya hand line. He's obviously cracked a piece of the code on getting custom injection molded items made. Maybe your friend could get in touch with Mikhail for some advice.

New Post
11/14/2017 7:21 AM

Thanks for the offer, but he already has the molds finished.  He also has the finances for them.  All he needs is a manufacturer that will come through with production.

New Post
11/15/2017 10:06 PM

I keep hearing horror stories (mostly from the garment industry) with trying to deal with US based manufacturers. They say they have better luck going overseas unfortunately :-(

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKen-Ranger Canteen UpdatesKen-Ranger Canteen Updates