Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSerape Type Jacket for Half Day ExcursionsSerape Type Jacket for Half Day Excursions
Previous

Next
New Post
10/25/2017 7:19 PM

Update: I found an Arcteryx Atom LT in brown for $168 + free shipping, so I decided to try it. I hate to be the guy who's really just asking someone to tell me it's ok to buy what he wants - cause it definitely wasn't the case. I just kept coming back to the Atom LT for weight, size, fit, insulation, color choices etc. I went one size up from my fit size, hoping it can mimic the way my Serape operates. I might be making this up, but it almost seems to me I get a lot of warming power from the Serape from it *not* being close to the body. Almost like there's a little eco system created between it and the heat radiating off my body. I know that insulation uses your body heat to keep you warm, but I wouldn't have predicted an air gap would help even more, or at least just feel awesome. Even when completely stationary, like having a morning coffee on the porch. Maybe I should have gone up two sizes to get that Serape type drape?

I love how there's so many different ways people have approached this challenge. Lot's of solutions I hadn't even heard of. Thanks again for all the ideas and please keep them coming. If the Atom doesn't work out, I'll be back to it.

New Post
12/15/2017 2:50 PM

For a the use case described in the first post, I have a Columbia down parka that I got on sale for 30 bucks at the Sports Authority Going Out Of Business sale. It had a small hole in it, but some repair tape and it's good as new.

If I were going to buy something instead I'd look at the Eddie Bauer IgniteLite reversible hoodie It's got 60g of Primaloft Gold Eco insulation, and it packs down reasonably small for a day hike. I'm not sure Eddie's quality is up to the Arcteryx level, but as a insulation layer with a hard shell over it, or as a pull on to stay warm during a break item it should be fine.

That said, it's Seattle Fit more than Alaska fit.

I like the fact that at least 2 of the "colorways" (Gawd I Hate That Phrase) have REALLY BRIGHT colors on one side and really subdued on the other. I never plan on falling and breaking a leg or two, but having a REALLY BRIGHT color if that happens would not be a bad thing.

New Post
12/21/2017 6:46 AM

Another vote for the Paramo Torres jacket or smock (they have just changed their range and do not make the smock I have, new offering is "MEN'S TORRES ALTURO JACKET").
Specifically intended to go on over another shell for when you stop moving.
They are treated with Nikwax wash-in and I have met someone who successfully (albeit unintentionally) had to use one as their sole waterproof for a week canoe trip in Scotland, and was satisfied with performance. I have had mine out in dank drizzly weather in the UK for hours and been comfortable. Certainly not as light and compressible as down, and a bit heavier due to the bulk required for the over-coat cut, but the materials chosen are not heavy weight.

New Post
1/8/2018 6:40 AM

I have an Atom SV jacket that’s great walking-around money. It’s not as lightweight as the insanely but justifiably uber-popular Atom LT, but it’s a tad beefier and warmer. Having said that, I’ve been on the east coast recently. With this cold dry weather, I have barely taken off my Montbell Anorak - which I’m presently wearing inside even as I write this. Moreover, I’ve found that it pairs nicely with the Windcheater. I refuse to wear the Anorak in the woods without some sort of windbreaker (for protection) over it. And of course with how cold it’s been here, I typically just throw a Serape over all the rest as I make for the door..

New Post
1/8/2018 7:26 AM

Also thought some folks might find this page helpful: https://arcteryx.com/naming-scheme.aspx?country=us&language=en

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSerape Type Jacket for Half Day ExcursionsSerape Type Jacket for Half Day Excursions