Hey guys, hope im not necroing but I wanted to throw some knowledge into the pool.
1) I think most could benefit their med kit with seran wrap, chop a roll in half or a 3rd and you’ve got something great for burns specifically but with innumerable other uses aswell (takes flame, tie stuff, occlusive dressing, etc.). Whats your skin do? Keeps heat and fluids in and stuff out, things that burns compromise.
2) I notice a lot of you guys are bringing dressings or gauze which is great but without both your hurting the potential. Wound packing with quick clot gauze or plain gauze of some flavor then compressing with ace wrap or a compression dressing is the way to do it that way your applieing direct pressure from the inside-out where it counts.
3) I don’t like fancy tourniquets, seen a lot of them break or be rendered ineffective by clotting blood on the velcro... which is kinda where you need them. I also don’t like the cheap ones like the rubber strips, reminds me of junkie trash and they are weak (the people and the durability lol). I love my cravats and windlasses, multi use (splinting, slinging, cool guy bandana), effective, classic.
4) I prefer carrying a small bottle of betadine over the other stuff for wound sterilization. As long as the patient has no shellfish allergy, a little goes a long way and does the job. Take a disposable water bottle, add betadine till it looks like a weak tea, stab a hole in the lid and you can flush wounds with effect. Only downside is you can stain skin if its too potent... but never had any complaints considering.
5) Safety pins. Barring trauma or anaphylaxis most obstructions are caused by the patients tongue. You can pull their tongue out all the way and safety pin it to their cheek. Sounds shitty and if they come-to your nearly guaranteed a combative patient lol... but they’ll have an airway while your doing what needs done. The tongue heals very quickly anyway and I preferred it to oropharyngeal airways because of the gag reflex. They have plenty of other uses aswell. Nasopharyngeal are obviously better but not everyone carries those.
Appreciate all the knowledge on these forums and glad I could contribute in some way. Cheers all!
Disclaimer: Im out of the game and not a licensed medical provider, don’t do any of this, im just some crazy guy on the internet.