Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBackpacking Cots?Backpacking Cots?
Previous

Next
New Post
6/8/2018 1:55 PM

Has anyone used backpacking cots as part of their sleep system?

I figure with a floorless tent/tipi the weight equals out to about the same as my REI Half Dome plus a sleeping pad. I can use my Crazy Creek chair as an insulating pad on top of the cot if it gets cold, and that along with a 20 degree quilt plus my Mountain Serape should provide plenty of insulation options.

I'm thinking of a 3 season system, as I'm not sure a cot would do well on snow deeper than an inch or two.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

New Post
6/8/2018 3:16 PM

Cots greatly enhance my sleep, but not enough for me to carry one. In a boat, on a bike, etc... sure. However, I am looking to cut weight if I am the beast of burden not carry an equivalent weight.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/9/2018 9:37 AM

I'm not aware of any cot that I would consider light enough and compact enough to be acceptable for backpacking.

In cooler weather (even 3-season use, depending on where you are), cots can also experience the "hammock effect," allowing cold air to circulate between you and the ground, requiring additional insulation that might not be adequately addressed by just a Crazy Creek chair. So not only would you have the additional weight of the cot, but you'd likely also have the additional weight of more needed insulation in anything other than hot weather. I've been amazed, back when I briefly flirted with hammocks for temperate climates, that it really didn't have to get that cold at night to be notable enough to be uncomfortable without additional insulation underneath. Like Scot said, not a big deal if you're car/horse/whatever camping, but that weigh is going to add up fast on your back.

New Post
6/11/2018 8:36 PM

Something like a Helinox Cot Lite is about a pound more than my current REI sleeping pad, and sits low enough that I don't think the hammock effect would be much of an issue, especially inside of a tent. I don't think the insulation issue would be much of a problem, so I guess the real question is, is the improved sleep quality worth an extra pound of weight?

It sounds like the general sentiment is "not really." I appreciate the feedback, though. Thanks!

New Post
6/11/2018 8:57 PM

Anytime there is air movement below you, you get the same effect. Being in a shelter wind is not so much a factor, but having spent many nights on low cots it is still colder. My cots are in addition to not instead of for this reason. I typically am looking to cut .25lbs, so yeah a lb is a pretty big difference. I am not willing to carry an extra pound to carry a cot. For me a good pillow makes a bigger difference then the cot.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBackpacking Cots?Backpacking Cots?