Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCompass SelectionCompass Selection
Previous

Next
New Post
6/5/2019 11:24 PM

I'm wondering what everyone is using for a compass for general off-trail land nav.?

Particularly interested if the ex-military folks on here are using the traditional Cammenga 3H Tritium or if most have gone to a civvy brand like Suunto and the like and, if so, why that is.

Thanks.

New Post
6/6/2019 8:23 AM

I run a suunto they are light and reasonably priced for a good product. My military experience was under the water so no experience with the cammenga 3H. 

New Post
6/6/2019 9:22 AM

ShaneRuth wrote:

I run a suunto they are light and reasonably priced for a good product. My military experience was under the water so no experience with the cammenga 3H.

Thanks Shane. Are you running the Suunto MC-2 Global or something else?

New Post
6/6/2019 10:20 AM

I am running the little A30 I keep meaning to get one with the adjustable declination just not high on my priority list. I usually go with the if it is not broke don’t fix philosophy. But my boy is getting older and the A30 might get passed to him and get a M3G 

New Post
6/6/2019 10:22 AM

Another "boat soldier" here... I started using Silva baseplate compasses back in the early 80s and used a Silva Ranger for years. When it came time to replace the current Silvas Rangers were junk so bought a Suunto MC-2G. Been using it for a decade now.

I would say go with whatever you have the most experience with. If you have thousands of miles with a lensatic compass go with the Cammenga, though the tritium version probably isn't a good investment in a decade or so when its faded. If you were issued one but never really had the need to use it I would say get the Suunto instead but for me that is because I use the protractor and other tools for map navigation and not just as a points North or to a bearing tool.

New Post
6/6/2019 12:41 PM

Toddclausen wrote:
Another "boat soldier" here... I started using Silva baseplate compasses back in the early 80s and used a Silva Ranger for years. When it came time to replace the current Silvas Rangers were junk so bought a Suunto MC-2G. Been using it for a decade now.

I would say go with whatever you have the most experience with. If you have thousands of miles with a lensatic compass go with the Cammenga, though the tritium version probably isn't a good investment in a decade or so when its faded. If you were issued one but never really had the need to use it I would say get the Suunto instead but for me that is because I use the protractor and other tools for map navigation and not just as a points North or to a bearing tool.

Good point about just going with what you have experience with. I've always used a suunto model but was wondering if the Cammenga would be worth it given the mil spec durability. But maybe just staying with what I know is the best idea!

New Post
6/7/2019 12:22 PM

I haven't had the need to use a compass since I worked for the Forest Service (and previously a forward observer in the Marines). It's in my Kit Bag, a Suunto baseplate compass, but it never sees the light of day, even with off trail travel. The reason being, is that I never have guide myself to an exact square meter of earth. (Like I would for Timber Cruising). I use terrain association to guide me to the general area. I keep debating to just let the compass go, but I still keep it in there. Better to have it and not need it I guess. That's why I carry a compass that takes up the least amount of space and is very light, but is still useful if really needed. So, I suggest a Suunto baseplate compass. A Cammenga is more expensive, bulkier, and heavier, and not really worth it in my opinion, unless you plan to Call for Fire ;)

New Post
6/8/2019 12:32 PM

I throw in my old (1994?) Silva Ranger if I'm going canoeing. The mirror sighting system is more accurate for navigating big lakes filled with small islands. As well I've used the mirror to help pick things out of my eye, so it's kind of a dual purpose item. I've held the new Rangers and they're not worth buying.

New Post
7/11/2019 3:37 PM

I have two Cammengas. One is the tritium version. One is not. Current infantry officer in the NG. I use them because that's what I was trained on and I don't have any issues with them. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCompass SelectionCompass Selection