Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove Tips?Stove Tips?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/17/2012 6:45 AM

Well, back east it's just now getting to a point where we can/may need the stove when using our 12 man tipi... I was pretty excited to use it to camp for the first time this weekend for a quick car overnight with the kids. Overall it was great I had done a coupe of quick burn ins but not inside the tipi when I first got it in may.

To frame my experience with wood camp stoves, this is the first I've owned and only ever used one of the large iron stoves in my brother in laws walled tent a few times a years. My frost big lesson leaned was not to burn those garbage "fire logs" in it, no matter how easy. When I did my first burn in may I used one od those along with some short 2x4 cuts....that log left a greasy, tarry mess once inside of the stove but worse the chimney hat only to worse as you rolled it on itself... Now, I only used it because I had them already and t was convenient and it might be a "no shit" point for folks with more experience but, don't use them.

The draw for the stove is impressive and it's easy to get everything going especially with an existing bed of coals. One really impressive thing I found is how effective the adjustable flu worked.... When I started it up he first night I ran it wide open , and then I left he tipi to take care of some camp work. When I came back the stove and bottom 6 inches of chimney were glowing orange and it was really throwing heat. I closed the Flu 90 degrees and inside of a minute it was like a light switch... Instantly dialed it back and vice versa later that night when I wanted more heat...

This was all of the greats, but I need some help from some more seasoned wood stove users for a couple of the questions I have... This being my third burn on it the box itself seemed less tight since the heat tends to warp the metal a bit... No big deal, but a few times I was getting a little more smoke than I was comfortable with. That being the case I left the front door about 2/3 of the way open during the night... To the stoves credit it still kept us plenty warm, it I was wondering if there is something I can do to lessen the smoke in the tipi? Wood selection? Position of the wood? Light under the chimney first like you would with a fireplace flu? I did notice when I opened the adjustable flu all the way it lessened the smoke, but it was burnin way too hot and fast to leave it there... Any suggestions are welcome!

All in all, love the stove, but due to my inexperience a little paranoid about co poisoning especially with my kids sleeping in there.

New Post
10/17/2012 11:18 AM

Which brand of stove do you have? With a damper in the flue, sounds like a Seekoutside? You shouldn't be getting any smoke going anywhere but up the chimney. Where was it coming out? Also, a portable C02 detector isn't a bad idea.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/17/2012 1:37 PM

Actually after playing with it a bit, I've got it locked down... I was using garbage wood that wasn't as dry as it should have been and some that were literally busted up pieces of my kids play set. Once I opened the damper and had a good coal bed going, I had no issues, and when I started feeding it some good seasoned hard wood that my neighbor had it burned efficienty and clean.  I had posted my original message over on the SO site yesterday and just copied it over here to get some more tips, but I have since remedied I think...

I was really just looking for some good tips for guys that have alot more experience on them .

New Post
10/21/2012 2:53 PM

Sorry for being out of pocket for a few days. Smoke should not be an issue. In some cases, I noticed that some fire starter type logs can be really smokey. We had that issue in the double Xl stainless stove at base camp whenwe just wanted to get a fire going quickly. Burning regular old wood and everything was fine. 

Kevin

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
10/21/2012 3:30 PM

Clean the screen/damper regularly, if your burn crap wood you will get build up and the stove will not draw like it is supposed to.

New Post
10/22/2012 10:35 AM

Well, this time around I didn't use any of the "fire logs" as it made a tarry mess the last time...  that being said, my wood wasn't stellar or seasoned and some of it came from a busted up kids play-house that a microburst picked up and slammed a few months back. Once I had a coal bed it was clean burning and even with some of the worse wood if I opened up the damper full blast for a few minutes and got it going, then dialed it back, it wasn't a problem too. Not sure of the science behind it but it worked...

Once more, I was awfully impressed with the adjustable damper... open it was almost too hot to take, but closing it was like flickin a light switch and dialed it back to a managed slow burn that in my opinion could get you through a short night if you packed it full.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove Tips?Stove Tips?