Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralPack PillowsPack Pillows
Previous

Next
New Post
8/19/2012 8:45 PM

I find that I have to have a pillow of some kind for a comfortable nights sleep. I have been using a small one from bed, bath, and beyond for awhile, and historically augmeneted in with a jacket or something to get the thickness I wanted. The problem is that I have done such a good job of paring down my gear that I find myself not having something extra to augment it with.  So I am looking for a thicker pillow, probably blow up or the like, and want to hear what you are using.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/20/2012 8:49 AM

cheap $2 inflatable 'horseshoe shape' from sporting goods store. works great in a hammock or on the ground. might not be thick enough for everyone, though

New Post
8/20/2012 10:59 AM

New Post
8/20/2012 11:57 AM

I have used this one from MontBell with good results.  I use a soft cloth cover on mine.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124290

New Post
8/20/2012 4:45 PM

The Exped is working very well for me. 

http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow

New Post
8/20/2012 4:55 PM

Scott, Luxury Lite offers one. I haven't tried it (or any of the others for that matter) but it is in that area for weight and packability.

New Post
8/20/2012 4:58 PM

This is what I use...shockingly comfortable.

New Post
8/20/2012 5:50 PM

Scot-

Do yourself a favor and buy a Nemo Fillo Pillow- hands down the best backpacking pillow out there.

It is inflatable but also has a layer of memory foam on the outside as well as a microfiber material, so soft and comfy. Underneath the pillow there is a shock cord to stuff a piece of clothing under it if you want to adjust the height of it in case you are a side sleeper.

check it out, you wont be sorry

New Post
8/20/2012 9:27 PM

JSonn wrote

Scot-

Do yourself a favor and buy a Nemo Fillo Pillow-

That thing looks awesome.

New Post
8/23/2012 10:03 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. So far I am kind of grooving on the xped one due to thickness, but that nemo also looks pretty nice.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/27/2012 4:46 PM

I use a Montbell with a soft cloth over it right now (just like Dad).  On a recent backpacking trip, my girlfriend discovered that she really liked my pillow.  As usually the case when she discovers she likes a piece of my outdoor gear (jackets, sleeping bags, etc.), she ended up using it leaving me to improvise.  In order to prevent this from occuring again (I love having a real pillow in the backcountry), I went to REI to buy her a pillow as well.  I bought her the one Joe references above, and it's awesome.  Better than the Montbell.  With one side of the pillow already being soft, there is no need to put anything soft over it - inflate, rest head, and fall asleep. I'll buy one when my Montbell gets a whole in it or something.

That other pillow with the memory foam looks interesting, but it also looks heavy - how much does it weigh?

Mark

New Post
8/27/2012 4:56 PM

Westy wroteThat other pillow with the memory foam looks interesting, but it also looks heavy - how much does it weigh?

Googled it - 11 ounces!  I think it would help me sleep because I'd be lugging around an additional half pound all day.  :)

The Exped looks nice!

New Post
8/27/2012 5:29 PM

Westy wrote

Westy wroteThat other pillow with the memory foam looks interesting, but it also looks heavy - how much does it weigh?

Googled it - 11 ounces!  I think it would help me sleep because I'd be lugging around an additional half pound all day.  :)

The Exped looks nice!

11 oz!  Wow, I didn't even pay attention to the weights.  The Coccoon pillow is hands down the way to go.

New Post
8/27/2012 6:41 PM

Kyle wrote

The Exped is working very well for me. 

http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow

Got this for last weekend's trip.  Excellent!!!  Great investment.

New Post
9/17/2012 12:54 AM

I have been waiting for someone to make a "horseshoe pillow stuff sack" forever... I love the horshoe pillows especially because they work on the ground, in a cot, in a hammock or even just a nap leaning against a tree.... I usuall just use a stuff sack filled with clothes or socks... Stuff I'm carrying anyway, but would love a stuffsack in that horshoe shape to do the same with.

New Post
9/18/2012 7:36 PM

The Exped air pillow is what I use for travel, and at home. I dont have any other pillows. Its THAT good. and its adjustable.

New Post
9/28/2012 8:00 AM

Picked this up and love it so far... I'm a hammocker in milder weather and this pillow is like a sore dick... hard to beat. Memory foam plus it has a strap to keep it on my neck, so when I move from my back to my side, its stays with me. I wish it had a stuffsack as it compresses down very small and it might get a bit sweaty in hot weather, but I think I've found my interim solution.

http://www.rei.com/product/813318/therm-a-rest-neck-pillow

New Post
9/28/2012 12:12 PM

After looking at specs and reviews I went with the exped large. I will let folks know how it works out.

New Post
10/24/2012 7:43 PM

Pillow 

Scot any word on the pillow?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

New Post
10/24/2012 7:48 PM

I had an exped large on backorder with REI forever, and finally broke down and got one from Amazon.  At this point I have only been able to get out with it for one night.  I was pleased, but need more time to really make a decision. Evan used it one night and bought an ultra ligth one, and then my niece borrowed it and I haven't seen it since.  If I can get it back I will be using it down at Powell for a week in a couple of weeks, and will report back more.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralPack PillowsPack Pillows