Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralNew websiteNew website
Previous

Next
New Post
7/23/2014 9:38 PM

Just wanted to say the new website is awesome! Very easy to navigate and find what you are looking for. I am very excited to read more about the Levels of gear organization and what views others have on this topic. GTG gents.

New Post
7/23/2014 10:04 PM

As do I. One thing I have noticed though is that apparently the forum has lost the ability for private messages?

New Post
7/23/2014 10:15 PM

I am also confused as to PMs. I figured out how to upload and post pics from my computer but I couldn't figure out how to post them from photobucket.

Excited about the equipage section. Took me second to figure out how to pronounce it though ;)

New Post
7/24/2014 8:58 AM

Yup . the new site is awesome.

New Post
7/24/2014 9:52 AM

Great organization and redundancy with products, super easy to find what your looking for. Forum page is super easy to read and access the latest post w/o scrolling down and hitting the last page (iPhone). I must admit I got a little excited when I saw the folder for Stoves with an (s). I thought a new Medium stove was being released. Not really, but can't wait for that!!

New Post
7/24/2014 10:57 AM

CTskywatch wrote:

Great organization and redundancy with products, super easy to find what your looking for. Forum page is super easy to read and access the latest post w/o scrolling down and hitting the last page (iPhone). I must admit I got a little excited when I saw the folder for Stoves with an (s). I thought a new Medium stove was being released. Not really, but can't wait for that!!

We are actively talking to potential manufactures this week, both for another run of the large and about the medium. We are done with a guy who doesn't seem to have any interest in actually running a business, but on the other hand won't let his employees do it for him.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/24/2014 11:40 AM

On the PM issue -- that's one thing I didn't test (probably one of many). It doesn't appear to be a simple forum setting I can change. Got to dig a little deeper on that one.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/24/2014 11:47 AM

The new site is nice! Very glad to have it up and running.

New Post
7/24/2014 4:35 PM

Messaging shouldn't be hard, but it is. The platform we're using replaced simple messaging with a whole host of facebook-like modules. I'm not going down that road right now, but might in the future. Here's what we have right now. If you're logged in, you'll see a new Message Center area at the bottom of this page. It seems to be pretty stable and have the functionality you'd want.

Here's the catch -- when you compose a message and add the user you want to send to, it is doing autocomplete off of the user display name, NOT the username. The username is the name you know from the forum. The display name is something that folks entered at registration and you never see. How do you find out the display name? You can now find out someone's display name by clicking on their name next to the post and going to their profile. The display name is the part after the "|". Why not just have a "send message to user" button on the user's profile? Yeah, that would be ideal. A couple of hours later and I still haven't been able to do that. If someone reading this happens to have a good working knowledge of the DNN platform and knows how to enable that, please let me know. You can email info@hillpeoplegear.com with that information.

User Profiles are only visible to people who are logged in. They expose the following information - username, display name, profile picture (which nobody but me has uploaded yet), state, country, biography. I could also add the email address to the profile, but didn't think that would be a good idea. In any event, you should probably check your user profile and make sure it has stuff you want on it.

That's where we are as of now. Hopefully better later, but I need to move on to other things.

ETA: We do still have the old site which you'll be able to log into in perpetuity to look at your old PM threads. That is currently available at http://old.hillpeoplegear.com, but it will be moving to a different URL probably next week.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralNew websiteNew website