Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGoPro?  Or another camera?GoPro? Or another camera?
Previous

Next
New Post
7/24/2014 7:26 PM

For those that are in the know when it comes to camera/picture/video gear....I'm considering a GoPro to capture my outdoor adventures with my family for posterity.  I would like some comments from owners (either current or former) as to whether its a solid piece of gear, pros/cons, etc.... 

New Post
7/25/2014 1:42 AM

The gopro is great, and has lots going for it- lightweight, compact, waterproof, rugged. We use the as crash cameras all the time in the movie world.

However, there are downsides. Battery life is very short, particularly if you have the video screen back accessory. Also, they are limited to the wide angle fisheye look.

What is your budget?

New Post
7/25/2014 6:44 AM

The budget isn't too constrained, but I don't want to put up a second mortgage or sell a kidney either....

New Post
7/29/2014 8:52 AM

SuperBadger wrote:Also, they are limited to the wide angle fisheye look.

That's not strictly true, you can switch (out in the field) between Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow FOV and Protune Mode

New Post
7/29/2014 9:35 AM

I stand corrected. I haven't made use of that feature. Regardless, the change in field of view is a digital rather than optical process. Does it work well?

For outdoor use, the gopro has a lot going for it being waterproof and really compact. It's much easier to control now thanks to the iPhone app as well. It also allows certain features like slow motion recording that are pretty cool.

I'm not really up on consumer camcorders, but I have used digital SLR's that shoot video, such as the Canon 5D MK2/3, and they are another great option, however they are considerably more expensive, heavier, larger, but in some ways more flexible.

New Post
7/31/2014 4:15 AM

For the money GoPro is a very neat product, I'm on my third now. I had the original Hero then a Hero2 and how a Hero 3+ Black and use them to shoot video while exploring underground in often very wet conditions.

I do also have a Canon DSLR but although it might be more flexible it isn't anywhere near as light, portable and 'damage proof' as a GoPro.

For the OP's requirements and even up to semi-professional use the GoPro is a superb little tool, especially if you have a choice of mounts.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGoPro?  Or another camera?GoPro? Or another camera?