Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHelp me Rationalize another Serape!Help me Rationalize another Serape!
Previous

Next
New Post
3/11/2015 1:36 PM

Ok so i picked up and HPG Serape last May and used it as my primary sleeping bag all throughout summer and into the fall in the Sierra between 7-8000ft. 

Mostly in the Mid 40's at night, but i did test out its insulation  with nothing else but shorts and Tshirt on my pad down to 38f, it was chilly but i didn't Die lol.  

As hunting season started in I augmented it with my fleece jacket and USGI woobie and stayed pretty comfy. For me the Serape's  limit seems to be close to freezing. 

So as im gearing up all winter long, and getting warmer clothing to extend my stay in the back country i catch myself looking at a 20F synthetic bag at REI (5lbs but super wide and long), however I'm also trying to pick up gear for my SO and was looking at bags for her too (womens 25f bag 2.5lbs). Then  i remembered a thread about being able to zip two Serapes together for Snuggly-Fun!  I'm not super fond of the confines of a mummy bag and the Serape has done the job remarkably  well. 

So here's  what i'm thinking is when me and the SO are backpacking together we each carry a serape at 2.5lbs a piece, Zip together for a mega-serape snuggle session!  and When i'm rolling with my hunting buddy and no SO  and  the snow kicks in i carry both serapes (5lbs) and Double up the insulation like a Double Serape Taco !  This is only a temporary solution until i save up for a nice wide 20 deg bag (western mountaineering or Kifaru Slick Wide/long). the other advantage is i already have a serape in Ranger green and you know you can't have two pieces of gear, the same color occupying the same space (something about disrupting the space-time continuum)so it gives me  an excuse to buy in multi-cam! yay!

Pros

-2x serapes

-multi-cam

-versatility 

-Double wide snuggle bag for the GF

-double thick insulation for winter, (until i get a propper bag)

Cons

only con i can think of is carry both serapes myself at 5lbs, but its also the same weight as the 20f REI bag I was looking at 

So what do you guys think? can 2xserapes get me into the 20's , if 1 serape +fleece+pad+BDUpants can already get me to 32f?

New Post
3/11/2015 3:03 PM

forgot to add that 32F "comfy" Rating for me was inside a USGI bivy sack. So all together it was Serape+ltwt baselayrs+100wtfleece hoodie+BDUpants+usgi Bivy+1.75pad+32f for me

New Post
3/12/2015 9:40 AM

In my opinion you would be better off with the bag plus Serape. Simply because it will give you more margin of error if as storm blows through. In the winter, temps can easily go from a nice warm 70+ degrees to 6' of snow 3 days later. Literally overnight as it where. Weather men get it wrong a lot and having more insulation than you need could mean the difference of just waiting it out, or being in a serious situation. A 20 degree bag will take you down to 20 on its own, in theory as not everyone is accurate with their ratings, and then you still have the Serape and extra layers if things get dicey.

I would do a bit more research on the two bags you mention. One is pretty well known for not being accurate in rating. I still think that NF synthetics are the best bang for you buck weight and warmth wise, and at least for me seem to be accurate to temp or maybe even a bit conservative. In another month, if they have started already, folks will be blowing them out to make way for next years colors.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/12/2015 1:14 PM

Thanks Scot!

I'll look into it.

I assume NF is for NorthFace? if thats the case I agree with you about their bags, pretty good cost to benefit ratio.
I have a later model Aleutian 20 wide/long that I've used but its also the same reason I dont like mummy cut bags. Even the wide size tapers to sharply for me to be comfortable, i get bound up and constricted at the shoulders and knees. . Plus its left hand zip and my bivy is right hand so it makes things a bit awkward for ingress/egress.

I did find a REI bag that is listed as 15deg (im gonna pretend its closer to 20-25 as a buffer) that tapers from 68 shoulder to 64hips should do the trick and afford me space for extra layers worn inside if needed. But at 5lbs if it cant get me to 20 on its own i'll have to rethink my strategy.

thank you for your input, i'll research further

New Post
3/12/2015 1:22 PM

Yes, NorthFace

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHelp me Rationalize another Serape!Help me Rationalize another Serape!