Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHPG Granola BarsHPG Granola Bars
Previous

Next
New Post
1/9/2016 12:48 AM

I've been a big fan of the granola bar recipe found in HPG's "free resources".  We call them "Our Bars" (catchy, eh?).  I always have a batch on hand and always keep one bar in my kit bag as a ration.  They taste great.  I divide the pan into 16ths and wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap for convenience. 

This evening I set to doing a nutritional analysis on them using published nutritional information of each ingredient, divided or multiplied per the recipe.  Nutritionally, these bars fare VERY favorably against quality, commercially available "food" bars. I thought you guys might be interested in the numbers:

The recipe, divided into 16ths (roughly 2"X2"X1" size bars), yields a "serving size" bar of ~38grams.  Each bar has calories: 266, protein: 9.5g, fat: 10g, and carbs: 30g. 
That's a lot of good "food" value per size and weight. 

As a comparison, I've always liked Bear Valley's "Pemmican" bars (www.mealpack.com), advertised as a "concentrated food bar quick energy".  For years these have been a staple for me as a meal supplement or meal replacement bar.  They're bigger and heavier at 106.4g.  Each bar has calories: 420, protein:16g, fat:12g, carbs: 58g

Per gram we see the quality difference:
HPG granola bar, per gram:  calories: 7, protein: 0.25g, fat: 0.26g, carb: 0.79
"Pemmican" bar, per gram:  calories: 4, protein: 0.15g, fat 0.11g, carb: 0.55

Next-- and this will be more difficult-- I'd like to figure out what they're costing me, per bar.  I'm getting "Pemmican" bars at $2 per.  At that same price per weight, HPG's bars would cost $12.20 per recipe batch.  The ingredients ARE expensive, but I'm gonna' doubt it's costing me that.

If you haven't, whip up a batch!

New Post
1/11/2016 12:19 PM

Right on! I've always wondered about this, but haven't had the answer other than knowing they provide a clean and relatively long burn in my body. Thanks for doing the legwork.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/26/2016 8:29 PM

I am so interesting in making a batch. I do wonder however, how well do these keep? I wonder if vacuum sealing would help extend the life of the bars.

What have you guys found to be the average time that these stay "good"?

New Post
1/27/2016 8:51 AM

A couple weeks at room temp in a tupperware tub. I've been wanting to vacuum seal myself but haven't gotten to it.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHPG Granola BarsHPG Granola Bars