Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTan GearTan Gear
Previous

Next
New Post
2/4/2016 7:08 AM

Hello all, anyone know if the tan buckles used on HPG Ranger green products is Tan 499?  I wonder why there is an extremely limited number of companies who produce packs/gear in Tan/FDE?  I think it's a very versatile color and subdued enough you could probably use it year round to not stand out in your surroundings.  To me it looks like a pale, flat brown without any other color saturation (I.e., yellowish tones in khaki, etc).  I'm guessing it's because it's not a widespread, mandated color for the military like Coyote Brown is.  Thoughts? 

New Post
2/11/2016 11:07 AM

Evan would have to confirm, but I think so, it is whatever the milspec is for matching Ranger Green.

Tan is way to light in most cases, as is a lot of coyote in my opinion. That is why we prefer Ranger Green and Khaki as the darker colors with both browns and greens in the hues mimic more back grounds better. I happen to like FDE personally, but again think the browns/green mixes are better in more environments.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/17/2016 1:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input. What you said is how I feel about Foliage as well. In my neck of the woods in VA I just always feel like it sticks out like a sore thumb. For urban use though I can see it working well. I definitely am partial to Ranger or other subdued greens. I did see some pictures of the First Spear Windcheater in Manatee and I think it looks like a great color. Wolf Gray looks more like wolf blue to me but the manatee looks (I haven't seen in person) like a neutral gray that would work well in both back and front country applications. I'm looking forward to seeing the HPG Windcheater in Manatee (and Ranger Green)!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTan GearTan Gear