Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKnivesKnives
Previous

Next
New Post
5/27/2012 2:19 AM

Knives 

hello Guys,

my name is Jurgen i'm from the Netherlands.

i just ordered my first Hill people Gear (kit-bag & Tarahumara pack)

i have done a lot of wilderness things here in Europe.

i'm a partime knife maker "Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools" i will be posting pictures of my knives in the near future.

i make user knives for all kinds, maybe they fit the Hill People needs?.

but my question what knives do you use and take with you on a Bush/wilderness trip please show them with a picture!

thanks Jurgen

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
5/29/2012 11:56 AM

Welcome, there is already a pretty long thread on knives here http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/23/threadid/173/scope/posts/Default.aspx, but given that I am in the process of doing a lot of changing in my knife complement I will jump in. 

While I was in CO moving, Mom a couple of weeks ago I confirmed what my memory was telling me. That I never needed/carried a knife large enough for heavy duty splitting work in the back country. That is only something I have adopted since I got here to the PNW with its wet conditions. The other factor is that the stoves I am currently working with don’t require small splits because they burn efficiently and work well. As a result I am moving away from carrying a large chopper and a smaller folder/fixed blade to a single do everything knife except for maybe dedicated winter use. The other change is I am experimenting on going from a folder for EDC to a small fixed blade. I am going to do a separate post on that one because it really is kind of a separate thread. 
For woods carry I am currently experimenting with a Spyderco Hossom designed Dayhiker. It is the little brother to the Woodlander I have come to prefer for a bushknife. Unfortunately they are out of production, but I found one used in a gunshop without sheath for a decent price. The sheath issue is not huge as I work a bit with kydex and the OEM sheath sucks in my opinion. The other thing is that the knife edge came very neglected or maybe just wasn’t sharp from the factory. Either way it needs some work, and I see some time spent with a lansky set ahead of me. The thing that I like about the Hossom Spydercos is that for their size they are very slim and light, yet still ergonomic. The Dayhiker is a bit longer than what I have been carrying to make it a bit better at batoning in the event I do need to do it. I can’t say much more that that about it because I just haven’t spent much time with it, but I have high hopes. 
The other main knife I am using right now is a Surefire Echo. I acquired it in a swap from a friend last fall, and at this point have a lot of time with it. I have to say I can’t help but love this knife. Initially, I was turned off by the serrations and the partial chisel grind. At this point, I still dislike the serrations as I just have no use for them. I have come too really like the chisel grind. Historically, my only time with a chisel grind was with Emerson/Benchmade folders. It wasn’t until I was talking with Bill Harsey at a knife show that I found out that the chisel grind can be done for either a right or left hand user. The Emerson design is for a left hander.  The Echo is set up for a right hander. It is extremely easy to keep the knife sharp with just a hand stone, and I don’t have to worry about angle, and it just slides through stuff when cutting. The handle is very well shaped. I am not a huge fan of the concave nature of it, but do like the canvas micarta for a sure grip. The last thing that really strikes me about the handle is the serrations on the grip where the pinky naturally falls during a cut. Very secure, and a feature I will want/add to all my future knives. All in all the knife is about perfect and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it continues to see a lot of use in the future. However, due to size it is in kind of the tweener territory. Not quite small enough for the everyday fixed carry, and a bit smaller than I am looking for in a backcountry do everything knife. 
no pics at the moment sorry.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/29/2012 3:44 PM

New Post
5/29/2012 4:32 PM

Current field knife is a Benchmade D2 Nimravus, heavily modified on a bench grinder with the handle removed in favor of cord wrap:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/30/2012 9:40 PM

I've got to admit, this is the one I've been taking a long look at recently:

It has the nessmuk pattern that I grew to like so much in a custom I have that looks good but isn't properly tempered.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/30/2012 11:40 PM

Evan or Scott

what brand is that big knife that i see in all the Hill people gear pictures.

WF

New Post
5/31/2012 12:40 PM

Can you point me to a specific picture? My guess is that the knife you are asking about is my Spyderco Hossom Woodlander, but I am not sure. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/31/2012 2:10 PM

this the one.

Jurgen

New Post
5/31/2012 6:18 PM

I wondered if that wasn' the knife you were talking about. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the maker.  The knife was a present to Evan from a hard rock miner type.  The makers mark is a simple B and as I understand it he used to grind knives for Mad Dog, but I may be off on that and it was someone else he worked for.  What I will say is that while it is a fairly standard clip point style bowie, it has one of the best balances and feel of any large knives I have handled. You pick it up and say wow.  It is very easy when you are handling it to forget how long it is and how much it weights.

New Post
5/31/2012 7:31 PM

I love that knife, I want that knife, I would do anything to have that knife. Seriously, that is one of the best  feeling "big knife"' I have ever laid my hands. Wish I could find something thats even close to it, give me a heads up if you find something that does. Then again I am not much of a knife guy or handled very many sweet knives.

New Post
5/31/2012 8:35 PM

This is an pattern blade I wanted Evan to try out so I sent it to him from an local grinder who is no longer in the business. I used it for an pattern and have forged an even lighter and livelier being around 5 1/2" in length. The specifics on Evan's blade from what I remember is that it's an mortise tang blade of bead blasted 1095 carbon steel. Grey micarta handle, brass handle, some red and white spacers, and an aluminum butcap. Im not sure how it worked out in Evan's environs but for a big blade it's not overly heavy. Anyway, I think Evan looks good with it should he grow an handlebar mustache and sport a pair of sixguns around his middle. Then again I'm kinda coy and a bit of an smart ass.

New Post
5/31/2012 10:01 PM

thanks for putting that picture up Evan. For some reason, I couldn't figure out how to post a picture last night 

http://www.brockblades.com | sig line added by Evan. Go check out Ken's work.

New Post
5/31/2012 11:36 PM

scott,

are there more pictures of the knife.

so we can see the blade.

great looking knife Ken.

WF

New Post
6/1/2012 10:51 AM

I had to take one. As I said it is a pretty standard looking clip point bowie, a nice one granted, but still pretty traditional.  (I put the calculator in there so you would have an idea of the size.)

New Post
6/2/2012 12:49 AM

thanks Scot,

nice classic blade shape

thanks for the picture

WF

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKnivesKnives