Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSeek Outside- Little Bug Out ShelterSeek Outside- Little Bug Out Shelter
Previous

Next
New Post
6/1/2012 9:47 PM

I saw today that SO has a small tipi hybrid tent coming out using their 2 man nest- called the Little But Out Shelter (LBOS)

other then what is posted on the site, has anyone talked to Kevin about this (price, release date, pre order? I tried to get a hold of Angie today at the shop but was unable to.

It looks like a perfect little shelter just enough for one person, gear and a small pack stove. Here is the link and photo http://seekoutside.com/march-update-and-show-special/

New Post
6/1/2012 10:25 PM

Their last update that went out said something about it not being produced for a bit.  Does look pretty cool though.

Scroll down a little bit to the second post.

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
6/1/2012 10:26 PM

I think the LBO is on hold for right now with SO being so busy with putting out 12 mans and re-design of the 6 and 8. Sound like its off the table till next year. I pretty much had a spoken pre-order with Kevin for one of these, would work perfect for what I need. I really really want to have one of these and know more about it. So I guess we will all have to wait a while. I am sure Kevin will give us more information but thats what I got out of the latest email I read.

Joe beat me to it by a minute... :)

New Post
6/15/2012 10:43 AM

Hi

What WEG said is pretty accurate. Soon as we have an available window it will get into the production cycle. Fortunately during the down time we brainstormed a couple improvements, that I think will make it the perfect little do all, and basically reconcile all my thoughts / desires with little shelters and give one shelter that is lightweight enough to use as an emergency tarp, full featured enough to run a stove and be double wall in the winter, plus can handle a variety of environments from hot and buggy to cold and damp.

I should add as far as production time, it's really next available window, so it may be in the next few weeks, or it may be this fall. We will probably have another improved proto in the next few weeks, now that the nest is nailed, and the new 6 is ready for production.

I'll go ahead and give a few speculative specs.

As an emergency tarp , probably 13 ounces, high side guess.

Full shelter with stove jack probably 24 ounces

Nest is 16 -18 ounces.

Cost , not sure, not golite inexpensive, but not break the bank either. If I were to guess, I would guess a bit more than the breakaway tarp was, for the basic emergency tarp, with a bit more more to make it fully enclosed with stove jack.

Kevin

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
9/17/2012 10:39 AM

Here is more information on the shelter. I've been testing it extensively in every setting I can think of and am very happy

seekoutside.com/little-bug-out-shelter/

New Post
9/17/2012 12:48 PM

Looks nice, I like the ability to use two together.

Kevin check your PMs.

New Post
9/17/2012 1:59 PM

Anyone know when this will be availiable to purchase? And also if it will be able to take a small wood burning stove? Looks to be just what I'm after

New Post
9/17/2012 3:06 PM

Yes it will accept a stove. Basically the jack will be an add on charge, we will have a couple places we prefer to put it. It really depends on how you envision using it. Some might want a stove jack in the vestibule, some might want a stove jack in a base unit, others might want it in a connecting tarp. Some folks might want a vestibule with a stove jack for winter and one without for summer.

It should be available in 2 - 4 weeks for purchase.

Kevin

New Post
9/17/2012 5:00 PM

kevin_t wrote

Yes it will accept a stove. Basically the jack will be an add on charge, we will have a couple places we prefer to put it. It really depends on how you envision using it. Some might want a stove jack in the vestibule, some might want a stove jack in a base unit, others might want it in a connecting tarp. Some folks might want a vestibule with a stove jack for winter and one without for summer.

It should be available in 2 - 4 weeks for purchase.

Kevin,

Will the videos you mention on LBO page include details about the stove jack and all the possibilities for placement?

Another PM inbound.

New Post
9/18/2012 6:48 AM

Kevin, thats great news about the stove! Any idea on costing yet?

New Post
9/18/2012 9:23 AM

Hi

We will give some preferred place for a stove jack, although it might not be in the videos. We try to keep videos short as we can.

Costing, well, that is difficult as there will be many different options. If I were to guess not as inexpensive as golite for similar size, but not over the top expensive as well.

Just guessing, most segments would be from $90 to $180 somewhere in that range.

Thanks

Kevin

New Post
9/29/2012 3:23 PM

Information is updated with drawings to depict sizes of various configurations. Pricing is online, and better photo's showing the various configurations.

The only configuration not shown is vestibule - tarp - vestibule

Big W even got his wish of the vestibule doubling as a poncho.

More information and photos is here

seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

New Post
10/1/2012 9:05 AM

Here is the video which hopefully does a better job explaining various configurations

youtu.be/vvdabHlS6rc

New Post
12/11/2012 1:06 PM

Want to revive this thread with some points having just received my LBOS today after set up.

• Build Quality- excellent as usual from SO, from the zippers, to the tie outs, tipi material even the stakes are all very impressive
  • Ease of Set Up- I am a total novice at floorless tipi/shelters, and I found this much easier to put up then the larger BCS Seek makes
  • Versitility- I optied for a vestibule attachment with stove jack and screen door, it can be taken off if you want a quick 3 wall shelter
  • Weight- When I opened the packaged I was amazed of how small and light the entire package was
  • Roominess- I am 6 foot 3 and fit in the shelter very comfortabley, no wasted space but not cramped either
  • Customization- I ordered my set up just the way I like it in regards to stove jack location and door entry, even color choices.

Very happy and impressed with it so far, more testing to come.

New Post
12/12/2012 3:49 PM

I got to use the Seek outside LBO for a few nights. I had it setup base/vestibule one night and base/tarp(stove jack)/ base the other night I tested it. One night it took a very heavy snow load pushing the pole about 5" into the ground, very wet and heavy stuff. The whole LBO system is so versatile its amazing, Kevin really hit one out of the park with this shelter. With all the parts its really the only shelter you will ever need for the backcountry unless you want the luxury of a 8 man or something.

A LBO is going to be my next shelter purchase. I have not decided if its going to replace my BCS though. I guess it depends if I can sell off a few guns, if not the BCS will be going down the road.  The LBO can do everything that the BCS does and more. Although you cant stand up in it but that means a better wind profile. LBO vs BCS is something I have thought about and even wrote down pros/cons on paper. I think if your going to own one it would be the LBO. Then of coarse a SO 8 or 12 man would round out your shelter needs :) .

New Post
12/13/2012 2:34 PM

I am pretty excited about this thing, and it is definitely on the list to get next spring. I plan to get the shelter and a vestibule with stove jack.  During the summer I will probably just run it sans pole with stacks and a section of pcord for an emergency or quick overnight shelter, and the vestibule with pole for multi-nights and or more inclement weather.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/11/2013 1:25 AM

Any further user feedback gentlemen?

New Post
6/11/2013 4:03 PM

The way things have played out I don't have enough time in it to give a good review. So far I am still liking it, but until I get in a good blow I won't really know.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/11/2013 6:00 PM

I ended up with JSonn's LBO when he sold it on the forum here a few months ago. So far I'm with Scot: I don't have enough use with it yet to offer a full review, but all of my experience with it up to this point has been extremely positive. It's a deceptively versatile system. I'm taking off on a bike trip next Monday and will be spending the next couple weeks in mine.

Second Camp

New Post
6/12/2013 6:30 PM

Thanks blokes. Glad you're both holding out on full reviews. I can't stand 'unboxing' type reviews.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSeek Outside- Little Bug Out ShelterSeek Outside- Little Bug Out Shelter