Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralResource recommendations for a new HAM operator?Resource recommendations for a new HAM operator?
Previous

Next
New Post
1/15/2017 6:51 PM

Hi All,

Just passed my HAM technician exam and wondered if there were any experienced HAMs on the forum that had recommendations on getting started in the hobby.  I thought some of the folks hear might also be interested in that skillset.

-Steve

New Post
1/15/2017 8:09 PM

Congrats on getting your ticket, Mr Steve! I'd recommend getting the latest arrl handbook for radio communications and see what interests you. It is a huge multifaceted hobby. I focus on antenna theory and design, mostly for 2m portable and pedestrian mobile. I find antenna building to be the biggest bang for the buck.

David, KE7RGP

New Post
1/16/2017 7:15 PM

Thanks Dave. I'll check out the ARRL site for a radio communications book. They have a basic set on sale until the end of the month that covers electronics, radio and antennas that sounds interesting. Definitely looks like a multi-faceted hobby and I'm looking forward to getting further involved. I'm planning on hooking up with the local club and playing around with my Baofeng UV-5R as an entry point.

Take care,
-Steve

New Post
3/26/2017 11:22 AM

Congrats on getting your Tech.I agree with Dave, ARRL is a great resource. Other than that I'd say study for your General so you can access the HF bands, contact your local ARES organization or Radio Club, and maybe play around with Winlink/RMS Express If there's ever anything I can do to help you just give me a shout.

Shawn~ K5SCW

New Post
3/28/2017 12:46 PM

Steve, Take a look at eHam.net also. Its an interesting source for HAM related articles and equipment reviews. Like any website, take everything you see with a grain of salt. I have not been active with radios over the past year, but enjoyed antenna theory and design for compromised locations. Where I live in the Texas Panhandle, there is a repeater network but HF is a must if you ever want to talk to someone. Good luck with the hobby!

Colby K5WTZ

New Post
4/7/2017 6:12 PM

Congrats! Simething to keep in mind is how regional cultures are different in regards to HAM. Activity on different bands will vary depending on the locale. If you're I. An area where the locals do emergency comm drills and service work, you can look into those activities just to get on the air.

HAM is for the most part, a pretty open community. Lots of free advice and coaching. It's also a very broad field, with lots of small niche interest groups.

Good luck, check out the links and sites others have mentioned, and have fun.

Jesse
Kf7blt

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralResource recommendations for a new HAM operator?Resource recommendations for a new HAM operator?