Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralComparing Kelty framesComparing Kelty frames
Previous

Next
New Post
1/18/2017 10:58 PM

I've read a lot of interesting stuff on this forum about different external frames, whether it's Jansport, Kelty, or Dana Design. Seems like a lot of people around here have put a lot of thought into what makes a frame work. I'm wondering about the strength of two different Kelty frames that seem identical to me. If I knew how to post images, I'd post one here of the Cache Hauler frame. It is the standard Kelty H-shaped frame, except it's green and it has a fancy hinged load shelf attached to the bottom. I have handled one in person just once, they don't have them in any stores near me anymore.

Here is where I'd post a picture of my Kelty Trekker 4300 that is about fifteen years old. I haven't used it as much as I'd like, but I do like it and keep it around for some reason. The frame looks like the same old H-frame, except it's black and of course no load shelf. The shoulder straps seem just about as beefy, and so does the hipbelt (that has definitely changed on later Kelty Trekkers). 

Can anyone tell me if the actual frame on the Cache Hauler is significantly beefed up compared to a standard Kelty frame? Is the aluminum different? Are the welds extra solid? Like I said before, I'm not really asking about the newest Kelty Trekkers, which seem like they have noticeably lower quality than the ones from fifteen years back.

This is all kind of just satisfying my curiosity. I'm looking at elk hunting for the first time next fall, and while I've done a ton of backpacking I haven't dealt with hunting loads and don't know what my Trekker is up to. And I know none of the Keltys are high end (or even mid-range) packs. I'm just trying to learn everything I can as I think about gear for the future.

New Post
2/22/2017 8:50 AM

My first real backpack was a Kelty Tioga purchased around 1995 (I still have it hanging in the garage). Fast forward about 15 years and I bought a kelty cache hauler for hunting in Alaska. (I sold it before I left)

To be honest there wasnt much difference between the frame, belt, and harness system on the two. The cache hauler does have folding shelf which was very stable. I have no doubt that the cache hauler would carry more than I could and hold up just fine.

What i didnt like is the belt system. It never fit my body type correctly and I couldnt get it to stay on my hips.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralComparing Kelty framesComparing Kelty frames