Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLatest Longhouse VideoLatest Longhouse Video
Previous

Next
New Post
1/27/2017 5:55 AM

Dear All at HPG and friends - the latest Longhouse video on backcountry locomotion is superb.  As always, Evan clearly explains the purpose of choosing the varying methods of over-snow movement, the advantages and disadvantages, and recommends the best gear to use.  I had to laugh when the normally composed Evan spoke about the NNN bindings, having been suckered into a set-up like that once.

Great information and well presented.

New Post
1/27/2017 12:17 PM

Laughing... just because of what I was able to pick up inexpensively when, all of my three daughters' gear is NNN BC. Imagine being at a trailhead with 3 girls, all of whom are ready to go RIGHT NOW, and having to spend several minutes kneeling in the snow trying to get their horseshit boots and bindings snow free long enough to get them clipped in and on their way!

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/27/2017 12:45 PM

evanhill wrote:
Laughing... just because of what I was able to pick up inexpensively when, all of my three daughters' gear is NNN BC. Imagine being at a trailhead with 3 girls, all of whom are ready to go RIGHT NOW, and having to spend several minutes kneeling in the snow trying to get their horseshit boots and bindings snow free long enough to get them clipped in and on their way!

Haha!  Been down that NNN road with one daughter....I don't even want to think what that was like with three!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/27/2017 6:55 PM

Just finished this one. I love you guy's vids! We need to hear some more about your nifty new rifle Evan?? I left a comment under your video suggesting that you take a look at Voile Vector BC ski's, they even do an all-white military version. I have not tried them personally, but they look like a cool tool. Agreed NNN=horse$h!T! Thanks again for your vids, they are a fun "virtual backcountry escape" when I can't be out there.

New Post
1/27/2017 7:42 PM

Just saw your YT comment and checked them out. Agreed, they look quite nice. Interesting that they come out halfway between the "common" sizes in width.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/27/2017 8:23 PM

Here is another interesting ski that is being made for 10th SFG(A) at Fort Carson:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/22/...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
2/14/2017 9:18 PM

Anyone care to comment on these bindings? I assume as with most surplus they are either very good or VERY bad:

Ramer Cable bindings on eBay

Also wondering if these are worth anything:

Surplus ASNES skis at Coleman's

I am keeping an eye out for used Altai skis (the only thing I've ever tried) but I figure it is better to get my feet wet with anything (even cheap and bad) and start learning then to wait for the right ski. Since I have zero ski experience the cryptology of bindings, specs and acronyms is still daunting and I don't want to get too heavily invested in case skiing isn't something I ever do seriously.

New Post
2/15/2017 8:12 AM

Fowler wrote:

Anyone care to comment on these bindings? I assume as with most surplus they are either very good or VERY bad:

Ramer Cable bindings on eBay

Also wondering if these are worth anything:

Surplus ASNES skis at Coleman's

I am keeping an eye out for used Altai skis (the only thing I've ever tried) but I figure it is better to get my feet wet with anything (even cheap and bad) and start learning then to wait for the right ski. Since I have zero ski experience the cryptology of bindings, specs and acronyms is still daunting and I don't want to get too heavily invested in case skiing isn't something I ever do seriously.

The skis are after my time and I can't comment but the bindings look like no Ramer I've ever seen.  Looks like Silverettas.  They work but they are heavy.  Your problem with them will be finding a boot to fit them.  The SF system from the 70's was White Star wooden skis, Silvertta bindings, and Chippewa leather boots.  Worked great, as long as you could wax them and maintain them, right up until you took a bad fall and had a tib-fib break, because the binding didn't release.

The Ramers we tested had a rigid plate that pivoted, they were intended to be used with rigid, step-in crampon compatible mountaineering boots.

New Post
2/15/2017 9:19 AM

I don't think those are Silvrettas.  The earliest Silvrettas I think we ever had in Group were the Silvretta 300, which doesn't look to far off the more modern 404s.  Not sure if those bindings would be worth the trouble of making them work, but I suppose for such an inexpensive price maybe worth a shot.  If you search for older Fritschus or Silvrettas and find a pair...much easier to mount and use.

The skis would be okay, but don't expect a great deal of performance out of them.  Not much sidecut, and what appears to be an alpine camber (half camber), or maybe camber & a half.  The camber provides a certain amount of "springiness" to allow the enter of the ski to lift off the surface when unweighted to aid in the initiation of turns.

New Post
2/15/2017 9:34 AM

They are not Silvrettas, they are Ramber cable bindings, and actually are not that heavy, but are solid. They are also not the Ramer's that TAK references. I have a pair of those on my first set of skis, those coming to the training this weekend will get to check them out. As far as lacking a din (is that the right spelling) setting I am not sure how these would be any different from any other throw lever cable binding.

At that price Evan and I both picked up several. Evan had some on a set of skis years ago, and we both liked them. They are basically just a standard throw lever cable binding. However, once we got them in we found they have a slightly different toe setup that the set he had years ago, and until we get them mounted up on something and ski them awhile we are not sure how well they will work with our mountaineering boots. They appear to be set up for a more duckbill shaped toe. Unfortunately, our local shop that we deal with won't even look at mounting them since they don't have a jig, so they are on the back burner for now. I was planning on putting a pair on my Hoks as they are very low profile and would make it very easy to put on my pack. Instead I went with a pair of Silvretta Easy-Gos that Evan scored a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately the guy mounted them to far back. I am hoping he has them re-mounted in time to pick up today.

Fowler if you want a set I will sell you some for what we have in them. It would have to wait until sometime next week though.

Alpndrms, if you want a set let me know and I will bring them.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/15/2017 10:19 AM

Naw...I'm pretty set with bindings and plenty of spares.  Thanks, though.

New Post
2/15/2017 5:38 PM

scothill wrote: 

Fowler if you want a set I will sell you some for what we have in them. It would have to wait until sometime next week though.

seeing them in person would be immensely helpful, I am just sticking my pinky toe in to the ski world and am still quite lost. I have some Alicos with a pronounced welt I was hoping they would work with, I am trying to stay out of special ski boots if I can help it. Not in a rush, hoping to do a snow bike trip this weekend and after that maybe refocus on getting a starter ski setup.

New Post
2/18/2017 10:29 AM

I had kind of forgotten these bindings existed until I saw them on ebay recently. I had them on a pair of Trak Bushwackers... a really interesting ski from the 80s I think. 150cm long, relatively wide (maybe 90 or 100mm), and the fishscale extended well past the kick pocket. However, not metal edged and not a shaped ski. Because of that, I don't know just how robust the bindings are for descents in freeheel mode because I only used them to kick and glide. Without metal edges, I never descended on the Traks.

The bindings are military contract and I've seen them made by both silvretta and ramer. The ones on the traks were silvretta and the ones currently available are made by ramer. They come with hooks you can mount on the sides of your skis for rudimentary fixed heel functionality. I've never tried them that way and wouldn't recommend it. Other than that, they are a nice lightweight low profile forward throw cable binding meant to be used with norwegian welted boots. They appear to depend on clamping the welt along the sides of the front of the foot as much or more than the toe. The identical ones I had before held my mountaineering boots just fine so I'm guessing these will too while under tension. Unmounted, it's just hard to tell. They hinge in front of the toe and then there is a plate that goes halfway underneath the boot. So they'll work well regardless of the midsole stiffness of the boot. They have some kind of rudimentary releasability which is better than nothing... and you can always increase releasability by running the cable a little loose. I'm going to mount a pair on my Karvers which might get me to using the Karvers again.

New Post
2/19/2017 8:08 PM

That is all very encouraging. I have very little near-term interest in descending, locking the heel or going fast enough to need releasability (knock on wood), at this point I just want some faster snowshoes while I decide if I will ever graduate from crawling to walking in the ski realm.

I'm assuming since both the skis and bindings are surplus they should mate up without too much trouble?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLatest Longhouse VideoLatest Longhouse Video