Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBest Mid-Layer, perhapsBest Mid-Layer, perhaps
Previous

Next
New Post
2/1/2017 8:58 AM

Like many of you, I have researched, bought and used a hockey sock (that's Canadian for a lot!) of mid-layers.  Fleece, microfleece, primaloft puffy etc, etc.  Many of these are great but, often overly warm.  I still like and use my puffy jackets (Arcteryx Atom Lt and the new Kuiu Active) but, still not great for high output activity.  I recently purchased an Arcteryx Naga hoody (full zip) as I was emulating an idea Evan made on using this type of fleece as a baselayer during high output activity.  And this works super well.  However, the winter in Eastern Canada has been pretty mild and the Naga hoody under my Windcheater is still overly warm, at times. 

A year or so ago, on a whim through a discount place, I found an Arcteryx lightweight fleece known as the Stradium jacket.  It is a very stretchy, air permeable lightweight fleece, with a wind and water resistant layer on the arms and shoulders.  Like the Atom Lt jacket, the underside of the arms and side panels are quite porous, allowing heat and sweat to dissipate easily.  This jacket is designed as a running or Nordic skiing mid-layer.  I never used it as such until last night.  With a polypro baselayer (HH Lifa), my Stradium jacket and Windcheater, I was comfortable and not wet at the end of some snowshoeing at 5 F.  The jacket weighs next to nothing, is not restrictive (even under armour/LBE) and dries super quickly.  I wish I had put it through it paces earlier!

I may have finally cracked the code (for myself anyway) in the ever fine balancing act of warmth to weight to heat displacement.

Hope this helps.

Craig

New Post
2/1/2017 5:46 PM

Like you said brother everyone is different when it comes to moisture management and my holy grail has been the First Lite Chama Merino Hoody. I use it as a second layer and if active can get away with a Black Diamond Access Hybrid Vest over the top snowshoing down to 14 degrees so far. Once I stop moving I have to add insulation on top but otherwise my setup is good to go. I would love to have a Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody but just can't seem to pull the trigger because of the price even though I know it would be well used. Maybe one day!!!

New Post
2/15/2017 11:39 PM

My go to mid for temps down to the 20s for heavy to medium exertion is a hollow core poly thin long sleeve hoodie with Raglan sleeves, with anti stink whatever in it. The wellington Henley, made by Coala tree in slc. I can wear it alone as a sun shirt into the 100s .

New Post
2/16/2017 4:39 AM

the0thermrt wrote:
My go to mid for temps down to the 20s for heavy to medium exertion is a hollow core poly thin long sleeve hoodie with Raglan sleeves, with anti stink whatever in it. The wellington Henley, made by Coala tree in slc. I can wear it alone as a sun shirt into the 100s .

That Wellington Henley looks like an affordable option and your comments above are exactly why I love my Firstlite gear. Warm or cold weather it shines. So much new gear out there to try and justify to the Misses :)

Thanks for the info on your go to layer!!

New Post
2/16/2017 1:38 PM

This is the next level up for me. Plus it looks great and breathes really well. Great mid layer for 'yote hunting as I shed my camo shell on my drive out of a stand. Keeps the greyman status

https://wanderoutfitters.com/products/roark-steelhead-fleece-jacket

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBest Mid-Layer, perhapsBest Mid-Layer, perhaps