Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDo-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?Do-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/12/2017 11:42 AM

As a bald guy here in the humid Southeast, I'm starting to see the need for some sort of system to keep sweat out of my eyes--any products in particular that work for you?

New Post
4/12/2017 12:51 PM

As a follically challenged guy I am subscribing with great interest.

I am in NY or traveling quite a bit. Mixed climates .Active . Heavy sweater here . In the winter I will soak two to three fleece beanies in a day under a pack moving. With the exception of a 100% wool afghan hat I have yet to find anything that works better. ( Bit of an image problem with the pakol .)

For hot humid heat when not worried about bugs I use a tilley airflow hat. Stops the sweat from blinding me ,cools me down slightly and it is easy to wring out. Have not found anything that works better. It has a nice comfy sweat band that caresses my baby smooth dome... My partner who is a jungle guy swears by an antique boonie hat. That thing has been washed so many times he calls it head pajamas.
For do-rags I use cotton buffs. No seams, very comfy and looks like prophylactic when donned. Again two in rotation.

I am yet to find a better combo. And eagerly waiting any new leads.

m

New Post
4/12/2017 1:21 PM

That helps a lot, thanks!  I'm a fair skinned (former) redhead with a family history of skin cancer, so both the Tilley and the Buffs couldn't hurt in that regard, either.  Good to know that both are washable as well--I can save my HPG ball caps for "formal" occasions.:)

New Post
4/13/2017 4:15 PM

Halo headband

New Post
4/13/2017 6:54 PM

Just took a quick look at the Halo products on Amazon, thanks!  They look as if they'd work, though I might have to worry about sizing--definitely rolling with a cabeza grande here...

New Post
4/13/2017 9:38 PM

I bought a walnut dyed silk bandana at a reenactment trade fair I plan on trying for that. I'll report back how it goes

New Post
4/14/2017 6:48 AM

Now that's interesting...I guess any material with insulating properites probably has absorption properties as well.

BTW, I'm curious--what era/locale would have featured such headwear? 

New Post
4/14/2017 7:52 AM

Pirates?

New Post
4/14/2017 12:10 PM

El mac ... I read that and just started laughing. Good one.

Creation bear - if I recall you're in my neck of the woods. I sweat a ton. I like buffs, but don't have experience with cotton ones. I bought a poly one a decade or so ago, and it works but doesn't see much use. Growing up in the North West, or maybe because my grandparents are from Sweden and Russia, I run really hot. In the summer, I can't wear anything on top of my head, except this one glorious straw hat I got in Tulum... sadly my wife's cat ate it. I was quite angry... I'm still looking for a good stateside replacement, but you may consider straw hats with a decent sweat band. When you're fishing or tilling, it's hard to beat a good straw hat for me.

- J

New Post
4/14/2017 5:49 PM

Ha, grew up on a farm here in the South but wore mostly ball caps--my granny would rock a straw hat on occasion (but didn't smoke a corncob pipe like her mother.)  A pretty good solution, though, if you're not on a rhody crawl.

At any rate, I ordered this Halo skull cap--looking forward to seeing how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sk_ql_qh_dp_hza

New Post
4/14/2017 5:56 PM

I am not a fan of straw, but am all about Sunbody Palm Leafs. They have a great sweat band. That us what I wear when I want to provide my own shade. I use a halo band when mountain biking and they work dang well. Otherwise it is a ball cap, with a buff handy to wipe my brow. If I am indoors, it is a bandana cholo style.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/14/2017 6:32 PM

Thanks, Scot...those Sunbody hats look very interesting--most of my days afield are under a pretty heavy canopy, but there are several ridgeline hikes where shade is hard to come by.  Definitely a "horses for courses" scenario shaping up...

New Post
4/15/2017 6:24 AM

CreationBear wrote:

Ha, grew up on a farm here in the South --my granny would rock a straw hat on occasion (but didn't smoke a corncob pipe like her mother.) 

Now you have an obligation to post a pic . Smoking a concob pipe while wearing the halo do-rag on the porch.....

New Post
4/15/2017 8:58 AM

I'm still under probation for fly fishing in shorts/poly-pro tights like the Kiwi's do--you fashion-forward types will have to pick up the fallen banner.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDo-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?Do-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?