Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralH&B Forge Polled Camp HawksH&B Forge Polled Camp Hawks
Previous

Next
New Post
7/5/2017 3:19 PM

For those out there on the HPG Forum that are looking for a great all-round 'hawk, H&B Forge makes some very nice ones, right here in the USA, for a pretty good price point.  I had a Large Camp Hawk for a while, but gave it away to a buddy of mine a couple years ago.  Found out recently that H&B are now using a harder steel and different heat treat for the poll on their 'hawks, so that hammering with them works better.  They are still using the same steel (1095) for the blade portion, which has excellent edge retention and easy to resharpen.  Ordered a Medium Camp Hawk with the 19" handle.  I think I've come to the conclusion that I like H&B Forge models better than the one I currently have from TwoHawks (the Longhunter model).

Just figured I'd pass on the info.  http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/medium-camp-axe

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/8/2017 10:37 PM

I've beèn looking at them on and off. They also have a collab called the goshawk they don't have shown on their website, more or less their medium hawk with a bow drill divot and a few extra edges for versatility. Do you use the sheathes they offer or did you make/buy another?

New Post
7/12/2017 2:17 PM

I've done both for sheaths.  I had their handstitched one before, but also got hold of a Kydex one that was meant for a different hawk.  I removed parts of it and then reshaped it with a heat gun to form it for the H&B hawk.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralH&B Forge Polled Camp HawksH&B Forge Polled Camp Hawks