Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSerape Type Jacket for Half Day ExcursionsSerape Type Jacket for Half Day Excursions
Previous

Next
New Post
10/22/2017 11:02 AM

I've been looking for something to do the job of my Mountain Serape but on a little smaller scale.

I LOVE my Serape, but for a short (3 hour) hike on the local trails, it's a little much sometimes.

This would be something I could stuff in my Connor and throw over my windcheater etc if I stop to smell the roses or grab a snack.

If there was such a thing as a Serape Jacket, that would be exactly what I would want.  Serape Nano?  :)

I've been looking at the Patagonia Nano Puff, the Rab Xenon (both Primaloft Gold) and the Arcteryx Atom.  I'm not super thrilled with the color choices but oh well.

Does anyone happen to have any thoughts about specific products or solutions?

There's always such a wealth of information on this forum I figured "someone has solved this before."

I did a search but couldn't find any previous conversations from before.

Thanks for any help or discussion.

New Post
10/22/2017 11:47 AM

My solution is a synthetic vest with a hood.  Kifaru used to make one but its probably a DIY project now.  My wife made me a hood from a Ray Jardine hood pattern and used omni-tape to attatch it to a GI issue pullover vest.  Won't work over a shell but the cat's meow under one.

New Post
10/22/2017 4:49 PM

I often use a Nano as my 'belay jacket'.

Fit is more "American" than Rab or Arcteryx so it is easier to slip over other layers, plus they seem to go on sale a couple times a year and are often available in some shade of green or tan. You likely could not go wrong with any of the three but Patagonia was an easy choice as I picked up my last Nano for $89 in an off shade of green similar to foliage.

I use a Rab down jacket for the same purpose in cold weather, it is a nice piece of kit as well but I had to size up to get a proper fit.

New Post
10/22/2017 6:23 PM

I'm looking at Simm's Fall Run jacket for the same application. It is Primaloft Gold and comes in some earth tone colors. May pull double duty when out in town. Drawbacks may be the price and lack of hood? Thinking a beanie (I keep one around anyway) and the hood on the Windcheater should be enough for the stated use. Anyone have any experience?

New Post
10/22/2017 8:54 PM

TKelly wrote:
Thinking a beanie (I keep one around anyway) and the hood on the Windcheater should be enough for the stated use. Anyone have any experience?

Yes, lots.  No hood is a deal breaker.

New Post
10/22/2017 11:23 PM

Paramo (really big in Europe/UK) makes or made a vest/jacket that covers the shoulders and upper-biceps, and then has another piece which is just the sleeves that fit over top, giving you a full coverage puffy.

Jacket vest: Torres Core.

It has a hood, and gives you more venting options than a straight puffy jacket. They also make/made pants that zipped completely on and off while keeping your skis/snow shoes/crampons etc. on.

New Post
10/23/2017 7:53 AM

I use ArcTeryx Atom LT in a size larger than my normal size for the application you're talking about.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/23/2017 8:47 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:
No hood is a deal breaker.

To each his own... I find that a hood looks good on paper but I seldom use it. More often then not it is just in the way.

Great on a rain shell, otherwise I much prefer a hat or two--hearing is less muffled, peripheral vision is not limited, and they are not blowing around your face on a windy day.

New Post
10/23/2017 9:09 AM

My favorite puffy ever is the Atom AT, I believe that is the acronym. Basically, the Atom without the hood and cut for armor, so it actually fits me. I am ambivalent about a hood. I rarely use one on a puffy, and for the most part would rather not have one. The exception is if I am sitting for a period of time. Even then a lot of the time I just use the Windcheater hood and a beanie and don't use the one on the Serape. All that being said, if you are a bigger guy or money is tight the Cabelas XPG line is pretty dang nice. Try it on first, because a lot of it is skinny fit so you need to size up, but other wise a great deal for the money. Their colors are not necessarily what one think of as earth tones, but I like greys and similar so it is not really a problem for me. The shell material is heavier so it is not as compact when compressed, but may be a bit more durable. They also have different options weight wise if you need a really warm jacket vs a lighter more compact shell.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/23/2017 9:15 AM

Arcteryx Leaf line. The Atom Hoody in that line. Available in multiple earthtonish colors.

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/atom-lt-hoody-leaf

New Post
10/23/2017 11:45 AM

shu wrote:
Take-a-knee wrote:
No hood is a deal breaker.

To each his own... I find that a hood looks good on paper but I seldom use it. More often then not it is just in the way.

Great on a rain shell, otherwise I much prefer a hat or two--hearing is less muffled, peripheral vision is not limited, and they are not blowing around your face on a windy day.

Suit yourself but be advised, that at some point, having a bare head (and a beanie is nearly bare) you can wind up in a very precarious position.  Natick labs did the "brass man" study decades ago for the Army they calculated a certain temp (IIRC it was -20F) with a bare head, even if the rest of you was ensconced in a 4in thick sleeping bag, you won't survive the night.

Jacks R' Better sponsored  Francis Tapon's yo-yo CDT hike, since he was doing the CDT twice (north then south) he had to start early.  The quilt they sent him had a head hole with their head hole and removeable hood.  He was using the quilt as a serape for camp clothing, and wearing the hood and using the quilt to sleep.  He managed to let the 2 ounce hood blow over a cliff.  Loosing that nearly ruined his hike and JRB had to get him another poste haste.

New Post
10/23/2017 1:55 PM

I am not recommending a bare head in cold weather, I simply find that a hood is often not the best way to cover my head.

A supplex ball cap under a heavyweight 'Peruvian' style hat (fleece or wool with earflaps) is suitable to well below zero depending on wind speeds and activity level. Plus it will move with the head providing fewer drafts and better peripheral vision.

Stormy Kromer and Mad Bombers are also pretty popular up here. It is okay to look like Elmer Fudd when it is 20 below.

New Post
10/23/2017 2:17 PM

I use a SnugPak jacket (can't remember the model right off) and it works great for me. It does have a uninsulated hood but like others I do not use it or miss a hood. I find that a good tall zip up collar is more important for me than a hood is.

New Post
10/23/2017 5:57 PM

I have an older Wild Things EP Hooded Jacket that is still going strong.  They can occasionally be found on eBay, as can the Wild Things Low Loft Jacket, which is comparable.  Both are Primaloft insulated and not as bulky as a full-on insulated parka.  I use mine under my Windcheater and it works great.  I have the EP insulated pants, as well.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/23/2017 11:24 PM

Thanks for all the notes, replies and discussion. I really appreciate it.

I've got some more research to do now with all the suggestions. :) Lots of options I hadn't even heard of.

I gotta admit I was dead wrong about the color choices on the Arcteryx Atom. Even LEAF (thanks Evo8dude) line aside, I found some earth-ish tone colors available.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. That's the thing I love the most about the Hill People Gear forums: everyone here is so solution focused.

Once I grab something, I'll try to update with how it works out.

Cheers everyone.

New Post
10/24/2017 8:08 AM

Mount Laurel Designs does sleeping bags that convert to serape mode...much lighter shell weight and much less insulated versions than HPG...also in much smaller sizes. Might be what you're looking for in these circumstances.

New Post
10/24/2017 7:51 PM

The usgi green liner jackets are my go-to now, cheap and easy to modify. They are a mixed bag as far as loft so it is best to buy in person, the fishtail liners are generally much better then the M65 liners or the night parka liners. 

They are cut pretty loose with big wide sleeves so they slip on over stuff very easily, I just sewed on some new buttons to adjust for girth depending on how much I'm wearing under it. I often roll up the sleeves to keep them out of the way, I think a short sleeve version is next on the list.

Best part? getting the matching pants so you can really look like a goober.

New Post
10/24/2017 7:51 PM

Colin, thanks for posting that MLD offers their quilts with a head hole.  I wonder how long he's been doing that? That quilt with the MLD climashield balaclava looks like a sweet set up.

New Post
10/24/2017 7:56 PM

Fowler wrote:

The usgi green liner jackets are my go-to now, cheap and easy to modify. They are a mixed bag as far as loft so it is best to buy in person, the fishtail liners are generally much better then the M65 liners or the night parka liners. 

The fishtail (arctic parka) liner is a thicker piece of climashield, I believe.  Cut larger/longer also.

New Post
10/25/2017 3:54 AM

He's been offering them for at least a couple of years now. I picked one up on sale last year, but I forgot to add is that sometimes there is a back order. Bc of the sale I waited quite a while for mine and didn't get it until winter was almost over.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSerape Type Jacket for Half Day ExcursionsSerape Type Jacket for Half Day Excursions