Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneral? for Bushcraft? for Bushcraft
Previous

Next
New Post
11/1/2012 8:31 PM

How about a report on the wet elk hunt?

I'm in need of some new rain gear and wanted hear whats been working equipment wise for those conditions.

Thanks,

RDinMT.

http://www.skookumbushtool.com | sig added by Evan. Go check out Rod's work.

New Post
11/1/2012 11:33 PM

I'm not Bushcraft, but I was with him last week.

Friday we started in 10-12" of snow, then warm winds and non-stop rain that melted all the snow, then fast and cold wind on the trip out.

It rained nearly the entire trip.  Bushcraft used Browning PacLite top and bottoms;  they keep clothes dry and if you're working they push moisture out.  I wore Frogg Toggs top and bottoms (5 season on them).  They are great in the wind and will keep you dry.  However, they feel cold and clammy in constant rain and are hard to completely dry, even in a tipi with a stove blazing.  The other guys had Columbia and I believe something with Dry-Plus.  They stayed dry, but the outer layer looked too heavy to me considering the mild temps.

Something to add to your kit if it requires water crossings:  the Wiggy's Waders are the ticket!  Light weight and easy to use.

New Post
11/2/2012 11:39 AM

Thanks Randy. You got most of it right. The raingear I took on this trip were an aging set of Browning DryLite jacket and pants.

I like them because they are fairly light, take up little room in my pack, keep me dry as long as I'm not overdoing the exertion level, and dry relatively quickly from either my own body heat and movement, or hanging them in a heated shelter. They are very similar, if not exactly the same as Cabela's Space Rain gear. Their downside is that they are relatively fragile. You will not get away with any brush busting without tearing them. When they are totally dry you can patch them from the inside with regular duct tape and a dab or two of air-mattress sealant on the outside. The bottoms and crotch of my pants have a few of those patches.  They performed pretty well for this trip, though at times I wish I'd had my absolutely waterproof Helly Hansen Impertech raingear with me that I use while fishing and hunting out in uber-rainy Forks, WA.

For stream crossings we used my Wiggy’s waders that have seen better days. I will need to get out my patch kit and doctor them up before using them again. You MUST go easy on them during crossings since the rubberized bottoms (hypalon?) are only on the bottom and do not come up around the edges.  They could be a lot taller with a better drawcord closure at the top but they are a hell of a lot more comfortable than stripping down and wading across ice cold rivers with Crocs.  I will be modifying my set. Winter project.

Another item that I think is invaluable is a pack cover with a hood. I have a couple, but my favorite by far is my pack cover from Outdoor Research that has an integrated hood that covers my head and shoulders. Excellent piece of kit if you know that you are going to be in for a lot of precipitation, be it rain or snow. I don't care what anyone says, Cordura is not waterproof. It soaks up water like a sponge and can make an otherwise already heavy pack weigh that much more when it's drenched, to say nothing of eventually soaking the stuff inside the pack.  There is something about incessant windblown rain and 100% humidity, and all the spindrift that goes along with it, that moisture tends to eventually find its way into every nook and cranny of your gear regardless of how careful you are in trying to keep wet gear separate from gear that must remain dry.  It goes without saying that some super light dry-bags and a few heavy duty trash bags and Ziploc bags are essential.

And finally, there’s some other items of note that can help keep you warm, dry, comfortable and alive during a hunt like this 1) a saw - I use a Wyoming Saw that I’ve had forever, 2) an axe for splitting (I use a modified gerber), and…something else...oh yeah… 3) a tipi heated with a wood burning stove!  ;)

Regards,

Allen

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneral? for Bushcraft? for Bushcraft