Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSnow GaitersSnow Gaiters
Previous

Next
New Post
1/29/2012 3:47 PM

Folks:

Greetings from North Idaho.  I need a pair of snow gaiters for hiking/hunting/woods bumming.  I tried an XL set of REI gaiters at one of their stores and they were about two inches too small (I did a lot of weight lifting and have over developed calves).  I wear either Danners or Asolo boots, size 12 or 13.  Any suggestions?

My B'day gift (about a month a way) is one of the Kit Bags.  Very cool idea and a great website.  Thanks in advance.

New Post
1/29/2012 4:29 PM

Welcome!

the Outdoor Research Expedition Crocodiles are sized to go over plastic double boots and heavily insulated pants. They'll be big enough around for you:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gaiters/expedition/expedition-crocodiles.html

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/29/2012 11:28 PM

I have used the OR military Expedition Croc gaiters for several years.  I wear boot sizes from 13-14, depending on the manufacturer.  I use the OR mil Exp Croc gaiters with insulated boots.   I use mine with various layers of insulation, with room to spare( I am not a small person).   Mine were made in the US, and fit and work fine.  OR mil(including the mil Exp Croc gaiters) has sizes up to XXL, which they list as fitting sizes from 12-15.  YMMV.

Here's a web address for the OR Military line:

http://military.outdoorresearch.com/gov/or-gear/gaiters.html

Please report back what you do, and how what you do works.

112Papa

New Post
1/30/2012 9:30 PM

Gents:

Thanks for the advice.  I'll order up a set and let you know how they work out.  Again, many thanks.

New Post
2/28/2012 8:26 AM

112Papa wrote

I have used the OR military Expedition Croc gaiters for several years.  I wear boot sizes from 13-14, depending on the manufacturer.  I use the OR mil Exp Croc gaiters with insulated boots.   I use mine with various layers of insulation, with room to spare( I am not a small person).   Mine were made in the US, and fit and work fine.  OR mil(including the mil Exp Croc gaiters) has sizes up to XXL, which they list as fitting sizes from 12-15.  YMMV.

Here's a web address for the OR Military line:

http://military.outdoorresearch.com/gov/or-gear/gaiters.html

Please report back what you do, and how what you do works.

112Papa

Darn looks like they pulled the page. Atleast for me, I can no longer access their military gear line via their website.

New Post
2/29/2012 3:34 AM

Try this one.

New Post
2/29/2012 8:16 AM

Also, OTTE gear has some gaiters.  We've had success with some of their gear.

New Post
2/29/2012 8:24 AM

Timateo wrote

Try this one.

Thanks for the link,  but for me it just shows their commerical gaiters in black or red black. I'm looking for their USMC Crocs in coyote.

New Post
2/29/2012 7:48 PM

gunn wrote

Timateo wrote

Try this one.

Thanks for the link,  but for me it just shows their commerical gaiters in black or red black. I'm looking for their USMC Crocs in coyote.

Have you tried U.S. Cavalry?

New Post
3/4/2012 1:32 PM

112Papa wrote

Also, OTTE gear has some gaiters.  We've had success with some of their gear.

Thanks 112Papa  I placed an order with OTTE.

New Post
3/4/2012 7:59 PM

Sir Gunn,

Most welcome.

Please report back on your experiences and impressions.

Best,

112Papa

New Post
3/25/2012 4:06 PM

You want the best cheapest gaiters you can find, try a pair of Swiss Army Wool Gaiters:

http://www.swisslink.com/products/footwear_handwear/new_swiss_army_wool_gaiters_w_zipper-6-48/

You won't believe how they protect you and how they breathe! The link is only for informational purpose as you might even be able to find them cheaper.

They'll outperform any Goretex model you can think of!

New Post
3/25/2012 6:58 PM

I own a pair and recommend them to anyone who isn’t overly concerned about either 1) weight or 2) tears brought on by crampons.

New Post
3/26/2012 8:56 AM

Those are pretty dang cool.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/26/2012 2:00 PM

scothill wrote

Yeah, the pair I was sent don’t have a zipper which I actually like. They were/are the first pair of gaiters I’ve ever owned so I was under the impression that that was the norm for a while.

They have a soft shell–like treatment so they aren’t totally silent (it gives them some structure, though) but they’re definitely quieter than nylon so that might be of interests to hunters.

New Post
3/26/2012 3:59 PM

scothill wrote

You should really try a pair... I'm sure you would be impressed for the price.

Timateo wrote
Yeah, the pair I was sent don’t have a zipper which I actually like. They were/are the first pair of gaiters I’ve ever owned so I was under the impression that that was the norm for a while.

They have a soft shell–like treatment so they aren’t totally silent (it gives them some structure, though) but they’re definitely quieter than nylon so that might be of interests to hunters.

Old gen don't have zippers, new gen do... I have a pair of both... The one without zippers are great for dayhike when you don't camp... But the one with zippers are really great for hiking. Why I have both? Well in the Swiss surplus you get the 1st gen for around $5 and the 2nd gen for around $10...

And it's better than softshell... It's waxed felted wool! They're nearly undestructible!

New Post
12/3/2014 11:59 PM

I have used these snow gaiters for several years & I am quite happy with them.

New Post
12/4/2014 6:21 AM

I have two pair of the Otter Gear gaiters and like them a lot, but they do not fit overtop plastic ski boots very well.  I have fixed that by fabbing up elastic extenders by sewing a strip of green elastic webbing to two strips of hook and loop on either side of the elastic strip to marry up with the velcro on the gaiter.  This allows the gaiter to expand properly and fit over the big buckles on plastic ski boots.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSnow GaitersSnow Gaiters