Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTipi / Tent / Shelter (State of the Union) Tipi / Tent / Shelter (State of the Union)
Previous

Next
New Post
3/3/2014 8:24 PM

How about a general discussion on the current “state of the union” in shelters?

What would you want and when?  Model, stove size, terrain/season, time in field, method of transport, etc.

What guidelines do you use to determine what you will take and when?  

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
3/4/2014 2:51 PM

I have two go to shelters at this point a SO LBO with large annex and a SO 6Man Kiss.  The first gets the nod for just me with or without a stove or for Evan and I without a stove. The second is our 2-3 man with or without stove.  We also have a Kifaru 12 man that we use when we need lounging space for a big group, like say this weekends Gathering.  The 12 man is basically a car or pulk camping only shelter. I hope to at some point replace that one with a newer one from SO as I feel their product is superior, and the K12 is long in the tooth.  If it is the LBO,  I am running Evan's little pig and for the bigger shelters one of our stoves. The only time those don't really get the nod is if I feel like staking might be an issue or I am wanting a more enclosed space.  At that point I have an old school NF Peregrine that gets the nod.  Think car camping in a campground by Moab where I can just zip everything up in a single space.  It is heavy and while I have back packed it I probably wouldn't want to now. 

For a long time the Golite SL4+ was my go to shelter, but the LBO with annex has largely replaced it. It is smaller and lighter and works better for one or two folks. I also have a Golite Utopia that I like due to the no center pole and it makes a great low profile smaller shelter.  It gets the nod for places where I need the lower, smaller footprint more Discrete footprint.  It is not setup for a stove.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/4/2014 9:07 PM

Main go-to right now is my SO-6 (full blown with two doors, bug netting, vents).  I use an HPG Shepherd with that, if using a stove.

Second (and tested in four seasons, including alpine climbing) is an Exped Sirius Extreme.  It was billed as a 3 man and could in a pinch, but it's really a 2 man with gear.  I've recently modified it with a stove jack to use with my DIY "Steampunk" stove, as that it can be pitched fly only, thius floorless.

Also have a Bushcraft USA silnylon tarp that can be pitched in multiple configurations....very light and versatile.  That will see some use during upcoming training in jungle environs.

Also have two hammocks that will see their first real test during the jungle training...one is a Mosquito Jungle Hammock, that comes with a catenary cut fly and integral bug netting.  It can be used as a hammock, or as a ground-based 1 man shelter.  Fast to put up and take down...very comfortable, so far.  

The other hammock is one that I built out of a deconstructed Gander Mountain XL cot.  I use a Catoma IBNS (Improved Bed Net System) that can be connected to the hammock.  I can use the Bushcraft USA tarp above it for spacious coverage from weather.  This one can also be used as a ground-based tent.

I have a couple bivy sacks that have gotten quite a bit of use over the years (Black Diamond and Outdoor Research), but there's really nothing to crow about with those, other than their being light and able to get out of weather.

Beyond that...a Eureka 5 man and Gander Mountain Grizzly Den 8 man....family tents that require carrying in with a truck.  They get the most use for vehicle accessed campground stuff and the like.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/4/2014 9:39 PM

...I will bring a notebook to the gathering.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTipi / Tent / Shelter (State of the Union) Tipi / Tent / Shelter (State of the Union)