Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Pistol Caliber Carbines???Pistol Caliber Carbines???
Previous

Next
New Post
5/10/2016 11:07 AM

Ok, here we go.  The new UZI PRO.  Modernized Micro-Uzi. You can even get it with a BATF-legal folding 'arm brace'

They are smaller and lighter than a MP-5/K,suppressor ready, and magazines are cheap.  A little over 3.5 pounds. 

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww...

New Post
5/10/2016 11:09 AM

...and one without a stock, sitting next to one of the Scorpion EVO's and a Sig MPX

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/a...

New Post
5/10/2016 10:02 PM

Fowler:

This might be one of those chicken or egg things. I really want to like the MDR, and have the scratch to buy one, but I do not want to do it sight unseen, or unhandled.

But it seems like they are taking quite awhile to get out in the wild. And the reviews of the prototypes are even less informative about the model than the bilge gunwriters usually produce.

Where did the CG seem to be for you? Was it the 5.56 or 7.62? Empty magazine or full?

New Post
5/10/2016 11:36 PM

Between this thread, the truck gun thread, and my own daydreaming I'm with Scot in that the .300 on an SBRd AR platform and RDS is just about ideal with what's available on the market currently. A folding stock like on that MPX is just gravy too. Lately I've been looking more into getting a .300 upper for my AR, probably with a 14.5" pinned. I'd love to go down to a 10" but that extra $200 and hassle of the stamp is pretty discouraging. And I'm already stashing cash for a can this year so that just stretches things even further. Sounds like the .300 is G2G on deer sized game at 2-300 yards. I kind of wish it would be elk capable but from everything I've read so far it's a big stretch for the cartridge, and not at all what it's original design intent was. With 16" 5.56 and 10" .300 uppers you've also got a really big chunk of the PR rifle ground covered as well. That would make a solid "one" gun solution for a lot of folks that weren't too worried about big game or long range. Throw in a 300 win-mag bolt gun and there's not much you're lacking.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
5/11/2016 8:10 AM

The guys from ODG have killed several elk with 300 blk. 19.5 grains of H110 pushing a Barnes TACTX 110 bullet. Velocity is around 2400. With that load no more than 200 yards on elk below which energy drops too much. On critters like deer and antelope, they've gone out to 400 yards.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/11/2016 12:23 PM

Why not just go 7.62x39mm?  The .300 blackout and the 7.62x39mm have the same ballistics for their base rounds, and you can still get custom rounds like subsonic 220gr rounds for the 7.62x39mm.  And ammo, etc. is significantly cheaper in general.

Either get a shortbarreled AKSU style AK...or if you want something a bit nicer, one of the new IWI Galil ACE pistols.  You can get just the pistol, a pistol with the  'arm brace'  or a dedicated SBR version.  They can also be suppressed if that's your thing.

New Post
5/11/2016 1:17 PM

evanhill wrote:
The guys from ODG have killed several elk with 300 blk. 19.5 grains of H110 pushing a Barnes TACTX 110 bullet. Velocity is around 2400. With that load no more than 200 yards on elk below which energy drops too much. On critters like deer and antelope, they've gone out to 400 yards.

Any idea on barrel length? Thanks!

New Post
5/11/2016 1:51 PM

That was out of 16" barrels although Kelsey said his next one will be 14.5" pinned.

The thing is, a rifle caliber rifle will always be heavier and bulkier than what I imagine as the 10mm/45 variant simply due to action length. In my mind they are two different guns. One is between 3-4 lbs and in sbr/pistol mode at least 3-4" shorter than the rifle caliber. Think the difference between a 1892 and 1895 action. Both function the same, but one is shorter and smaller due to the caliber.

I personally would prefer 7.62x39, but no one really has anything on the market I like. The Galil has promise, but is under recall. The MCX in x39 hasn't hit the market yet, and the last Sig iteration is something like 1.5lbs heavier than the MCX.

As far as the MDR, it feels well balanced, but heavy, the funny thing is I think that it is only marginally heavier than the Steyr. I have talked to a couple of people with range time on the MDR, and what I have heard doesn't make me to excited. I forget the exact way it works, but how it ejects cartrigdies makes it easily fouled and that becomes a bit issue to clear. This was over a year ago so they might have corrected it in design. I for one will be taking a wait and see tact. I personally think the Tavor has a better balance than the Steyr, but at this point 5.56 guns are all ARs and I am loath to buy another 5.56.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/11/2016 8:29 PM

That's good to hear Evan, that's the first legitimate report of anyone doing it. Also good to see they've found a good loading for it. I didn't really doubt it was possible, but without solid evidence I didn't want to assume too much. If/ when I have the chance to harvest an animal I want to do it as ethically as possible.

Evo8dude, x39 is a great option and like you said it's a whole bunch cheaper. But right now I'm already heavily invested in the AR platform and don't want to spend a bunch more money in accessories just to add another caliber. The .300 gives me the 30cal option in the same platform. I know there's several x39 uppers for ARs out there but they still require different mags and I've only heard mixed reviews on reliability. Having a RDS and scope in the 2-7 to 3-10 range that are sighted for the one upper cover what I'd be looking to get out of it.

Good point about the weight and bulk Scot, there's no way to get around that fact. For me, with what's available and what I can afford, a pistol is a pistol and a rifle is a rifle. You can certainly close the gap from either end, but at some point you're going to run into the ATF circus. Not the end of the world and just part of our current reality. Now that the practical rifle is pretty squared away maybe HPG should work on cracking the pistol cal. carbine next ;)

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Pistol Caliber Carbines???Pistol Caliber Carbines???