Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911 or "just another" Glock?1911 or "just another" Glock?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/1/2016 11:03 PM

El Mac wrote:
Take-a-knee wrote:
El Mac wrote:
The reputed "death" of the 1911 is highly over rated...but it does give me a good chuckle.

In civilian hands? For sure. In modern military units? Its as dead as a doornail. Think lever action.

Uh, even if that were true, who gives a shat?

It is demonstrably true, and what militaries do, inevitably influences the marketplace.  Having said that, there are more and better 1911's available today than ever before.

New Post
4/2/2016 3:23 AM

Like I said, I chuckle.

And levers are pretty sweet too.

New Post
4/5/2016 7:56 PM

Exactly. I love how people claim that the 1911 is an afficionados firearm. You should'nt own a firearm for personal defense if you're not an "afficionado". Either you're on a path to mastery or you're not. Part and parcel of that is learning the nuances of your personal firearm and making it run as efficiently as possible. Every firearm requires that level of attention if you're serious about using it. Simple as that.

New Post
5/14/2016 10:31 PM

I've owned a variety of pistols over the years including: 92F, 1911, Glock, XDM, and M&P. Recently, I "wanted" to go back to Glock because let's face it, they work and are extremely customizable. The only pistol out there that offers more customization possibilities is the 1911. So, I went out and picked up a 17. Then I remembered why I left Glock, the horrible (in my opinion) grip angle. I started researching modified Glock grips and stumbled across the Lone Wolf lower receiver which has a completely different grip angle and 2 sizes of back straps. As I already have a carry gun and this is my build (fun) gun, I decided to give them a try. I first bought the lower, built with all of their "upgraded" components and then decided to "gift" the complete 17 to my brother and buy the Lone Wolf upper to go with their lower. I'll be honest, it is not perfect. I ended up using epoxy and permanently installing the back strap that I wanted as it would work loose while shooting. Other than that, it has performed flawlessly and runs through factory reloads like no ones business. The grip angle is just right for me, trigger is crisp and light, and most importantly, it functions reliably. Would I recommend it for everyone? Of course not. My point is that we are blessed with a ton of options. Go and put your hands on as many of those options as you can and you'll surely find something that will be dependable and be comfortable for you.

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
5/15/2016 12:09 PM

FWIW, the folks at Recoil (in the 3rd issue of their spin-off mag Concealment) gave the Ruger American Pistol some decent love.  The changeable backstraps and several other design features were given good marks.  My Dad just got one and really loves it.  I haven't gotten to handle it yet, but just like Gregg stated above, there are so many different choices out there that just about anyone can find "the one" that becomes just the perfect choice for that particular shooter.  Freedom.  'Merica.

http://www.recoilweb.com/preview-ruge...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911 or "just another" Glock?1911 or "just another" Glock?